Seem to be finding conflicting stuff or info from 2007 all over Google. Does anyone have any experience of returning pre owned games to Game Station for a refund?

I know Game dodges it by putting those circle stickers on the box that tell you no returns, but Game Station doesn't so would have no real way of proving that the game has been used (it hasn't as it goes, I just bought the wrong one).
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
Only got it today, cool, will have to give it a go tomorrow
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
i think that as long as it is still unopened and you have the recipt there will be no problems.
Come listen to some of my songs:

My Music
My understanding as someone who works for GAME is that Gamestation operates a 10 day returns policy on software with a valid proof of purchase for an exchange or refund. GAME used to have this policy, but many customers abused the system effectively turning it into a rental service.
You can still return things to GAME within 28 days of buying them, so long as the "sticker thing" is still intact and hasnt been removed or tampered with.

The best advice I can offer you is not to be an idiot about it. So long as you are polite to them, they are far more likely to help you.
I hope this doesn't come across the wrong way, I just thought I would offer my advice because I kind of work for them .

I hope you get sorted.

PS. I am not 100% sure about Gamestations policy, but afaik you should be fine.
Legally, they don't have to accept a returned item unless it was:

a) missold
b) faulty

If it was missold or faulty, don't accept anything less than a full refund- it's perfectly within your rights. If you bought "by mistake," they'll probably only offer you store credit, and that's a gesture rather than a requirement of law.

Best thing to do would be pop into Gamestation, really.