Right now I have a Peavey Valveking 212 combo and I've saved up enough to money to get a little over $1000 if I sell it. I was thinking I should get a new amp.

1) I'm in a steady band and we do play gigs.
2) I play ALL types of metal and a lot of classic rock. I'm in a progressive hardcore band but I love 80s metal, classic rock, everything.
3) I am looking for an upgrade obviously, something better than the Valveking.
4) Keep in mind I have to use the money to get a cab AND head

thanks
I'd consider a 2x12 + head as well, not just a 4x12. You'll find that it has 90% of the advantages of the 4x12 but a bit cheaper and more portable.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
^thanks, would be cool but I'm lookin for a half stack, and buying a head of that would almost be 1000 :/
You could definitely pick up a JSX for cheaper than that (if you don't mind going used).

A JSX or XXX would run you about $600.
Good 2x12 like a Mesa, Framus, Randall, etc. would cost no more than $400. Go with Avatar if you absolutely must have a new cab.

You'll have a head + 2x12 that's portable and gig-worthy for $1000.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
A good half stack is a tough at $1000... a 2x12 is doable though. I say Jet City 50H, and find yourself a used Mesa 2x12, or save up a little more and get a used Marshall 1960A.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by DrNick
You could definitely pick up a JSX for cheaper than that (if you don't mind going used).

Good 2x12 like a Mesa, Framus, Randall, etc. would cost no more than $400. Go with Avatar if you absolutely must have a new cab.

+1

used XXX's go pretty cheap...I got mine for $400. You should easily be able to find a great used cab for $600. I picked up my mesa cab for $400 too.
Sorry if I'm posting too much later, but I didn't think I should start a new thread

my friend suggested orange amps? What do you guys think?
Quote by Hamburgular
Sorry if I'm posting too much later, but I didn't think I should start a new thread

my friend suggested orange amps? What do you guys think?

Most oranges will be out of your budget.
Quote by eyebanez333
Most oranges will be out of your budget.

oh damn is there a reason they are more expensive? And can they do metal good anyways?

So, now besides the Peavey or the Jet, any other head suggestions? Thanks a lot guys btw
Quote by Hamburgular
oh damn is there a reason they are more expensive? And can they do metal good anyways?

So, now besides the Peavey or the Jet, any other head suggestions? Thanks a lot guys btw

Some Orange's can do metal but it isn't what they're best at IMO. And yeah, hella expensive but worth every freakin penny.
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Oh I see

I just want to use my money for the best head and cab I can get used, anything that's an upgrade from my VK 212. Don't get me wrong I love it, but I want to move up
This idea may seem a little bit crazy but I did it and it works for me, and saved me a lot of money... take out the Valveking's guts and replace the speakers with WGS ones (very affordable and sound just as good as their Celestion counterparts), and buy a head using your VK as a cab. Here's what my rig looks like now that I've done that (on the right, below the Spider)
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
I'm considering my options and starting to narrow it down.

Bugera 6262 vs. Peavey XXX head?
Quote by Hamburgular
I'm considering my options and starting to narrow it down.

Bugera 6262 vs. Peavey XXX head?

XXX will have better cleans....and is 3 channels...and won't catch on fire

ok the last part has only happened to one bugera (that was actually filmed)
Why do you want/need a 4x12?
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Quote by DrNick

Shit dude, that's exactly what I wanted to say. Now I feel useless. Maaaan.
Quote by souperman08
Why do you want/need a 4x12?

I don't think I said that

But honestly for a broad range of metals, 6505, XXX, 6262 or what? JSX? Any other great metal heads for around that price?
If you still like it, and there's nothing wrong with your valve king, then why not just buy an extension cab for it?
Petey D

Ankle Burner & World Class Sauce Jockey

Sparrow Big Daddy Ace

Sparrow Ratrod Boss

Johnson JT50 Mirage
Quote by Hamburgular

But honestly for a broad range of metals, 6505, XXX, 6262 or what? JSX? Any other great metal heads for around that price?

XXX or JSX will be more versatile...and will have better cleans. The 6505/+ or it's clones will do metal great...but aren't ideal for much else. Just depends on what you want from the head.
Quote by Petey D
If you still like it, and there's nothing wrong with your valve king, then why not just buy an extension cab for it?

I say this. That or turn your VK into a 212 cab and buy a $1000 head.
Quote by Hamburgular

4th post in the thread you did.

I would personally reccomend getting a 2x12 combo, and then investing in some good pedals for different sounds, or to combine with your amp's distortion/gain for boosting.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
^the tweaker, tiny terror, AC50...and a traynor bass head for metal?

The randall and krank are at least voiced correctly for what he's wanting to play...although not ideal for the budget.
Alright well I was thinking about a 6505 or a 5150 but the cheapest I can find those heads are like 700. I really dig the tone though. Any ideas of cabs for like 300-400? Or somewhere I can find the Peavey heads cheaper?
Quote by eyebanez333
^the tweaker, tiny terror, AC50...and a traynor bass head for metal?

The randall and krank are at least voiced correctly for what he's wanting to play...although not ideal for the budget.

Oh, was that a bass head My bad, it was late, I know there was some Traynor amp head that was highly sought after by UG'ers.

Yeah, they may not be exactly voiced for metal, but that's what they said about the Valveking, and I've heard some awesome metal tones from the Valveking, without mods.

Your not going to find a Peavey 6505 or 5150 head for under $700, unless your just super lucky. You can go with the 6505 combo, it's not a stack, but it'll get the job done just fine. Only problem with the 6505 and 5150 is that they do one and only one thing good, and that's metal, everything else is just not all that great.
AC50 can do metal with an overdrive, I've seen it done. I'm friends with a guy who plays a Krank Rev Jr with a Fulltone OCD and it's pretty good sounding, also very loud.
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
^that can be said for a lot of amps...but that doesn't make them ideal for metal.

TS: The 5150/6505 would be your best bet...especially if you like that tone. You should be able to find a head cheaper than $700...there are a few on my craigslist right now from 400-600.
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Sep 18, 2010,
Quote by eyebanez333
^that can be said for a lot of amps...but that doesn't make them ideal for metal.

TS: The 5150/6505 would be your best bet...especially if you like that tone. You should be able to find a head cheaper than $700...there are a few on my craigslist right now from 400-600.

Damn really?! I can't find any under 700