Poll: Do you believe in spiritual healing?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you believe in spiritual healing?
Yes
27 25%
No
81 75%
Voters: 108.
Page 1 of 2
What do you guys think of it? Personally I don't believe in it, if there is a god, I don't think he'd waste his time healing people if he made them like that deliberately. I do, however, believe that if you have enough willpower, you can heal your own illness. But what do you think?
Nope. State of mind can affect how your body is health-wise, but beyond that it's all bullshit.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Nope, only sexual healing.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
what I hate is those glammed-up TV shows with spiritual healing, they're surely staged. And those that offer to pray for your financial redemption if you send them $1000.
Quote by severed-metal
inb4 SPPIIIRRIITTUUAAALLL...HHEEEAAAAAALLLLIIINNNGGG

DAMN YOU.
Follow the smoke toward the riff filled land
brutal
Quote by Kensai

, exactly what I came in here to post.

on the real, though, naw, I don't think so. it's a total placebo.
Quote by Deadlock Riff
I don't believe, it's all bull.

Exactly what I think about it.
Placebo effects, whereby the simple belief of a patient allows for a cure, is well documented, and most supposed cures by faith healers are minor things which could probably heal with time.
Everyone in modern America needs spiritual healing! No morals!!! Read your Bibles, bitches!

Oh wait, that's not what you meant. Okay, I seriously think that there is a Mind over matter thing, but not really spiritual healing.
Quote by Kensai

Man, I was going to make the same joke.

If by spiritual healing you mean that by praying to God and living righteously according to a holy book will somehow lead to a recession of Aunt Alice's cancer cells, then no.
Well, I have an aunt who had her liver healed. She had been on the transplant list for a while and in the very same week she was prayed for at our church she went back to the doctor. The doctor told her it was as if she had a brand new liver that hadn't been used. This is the same lady that had been a hard time drinker and druggie for over 30 years. I can't help but believe in it.
ive had flat feet all my life, i had some people pray for me, i no longer have flat feet. God heals people all the time.
Emerse your soul in love

You used to be alright What happened?

Yellow tigers crouched in jungles in her Dark Eyes .
Of course it's real. It's a placebo effect, but that's still real. Any God you may believe in has infinite infinitely more important things to do than micromanage the cells in all 6 billion of our bodies.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

there is reason to believe but only if you understand not just say there isnt a God or anything.
personally i am unsure on the whole matter, i have heard stories but...
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
I thought this was going to be about the death album. I'm disappointed....
Quote by severed-metal
Come to think of it, my penis should've listened to more death metal.

Quote by Morphogenesis26
So my question is. Can Pre-Cum fluid pass through my underwear, my jeans, onto and through her jeans, through her underwear, and impregnate her?
Quote by TomusAM
Everyone in modern America needs spiritual healing! No morals!!! Read your Bibles, bitches!

Oh wait, that's not what you meant. Okay, I seriously think that there is a Mind over matter thing, but not really spiritual healing.

this
There have actually been documented tests that show people who spend a lot of time focusing on healing have actually been able to eliminate cancer cells without treatment.

Not 100% sure, but it seems like there is some credence to it.
Keep you doped with religion and sex and TV
And you think you're so clever and class less and free
But you're still fucking peasants as far as I can see

A working class hero is something to be.
I only put yes because it's an awesome album.
B|-----------------MEEDLY
G|-----------------------------MOODLY
D|----------------------------------------------------------------------WEE
A|DUN-DUN-----------------------------------------DEEWOP
E|DUN-DUN-------------------------------DOON
As the French say, c'est de boulle-shitte.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
I have a Spiritual Healing shirt. Death ftw. But no, I don't believe in it because I don't believe god is real.
Quote by webbtje
A woman's perspective is great, you get to stare down at least one top without anyone caring.
I've witnessed it happen, which reminding myself of that strengthens my faith...invite God into your lives and He'll do remarkable things...
ADVERTISING SPACE FOR SALE!
I don't charge much...

If you don't click this , you'll die :/
No Death....

I'm leaving.

This thread is a living monstrosity.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by heavyairship
ive had flat feet all my life, i had some people pray for me, i no longer have flat feet. God heals people all the time.

I had a ruptured heart valve and I prayed over it, the next visit at the hospital they didn't even see signs of any heart defects and said they can't explain what happened...I can.

Also my other friend had degenerating nerves in her leg, making her drag her feet when she walked. She told me her testimony, she was reading John 5 and felt the Lord telling her the same thing Jesus told the sick man - "pick up your mat and walk" (John 5:8). She did the same thing and eversince she could walk normally which medicine can't explain...I can.

Also as for my other friend, we were at church and she asked the evangelist if he could pray over her one blind eye, the evanglist did, then covered her good eye and told her to touch his nose. She did just that. How does something magically heal like that? Science can't explain...I can.

The thing is when you invite God to become a part of your lives, you begin to see real He is. I was once an atheist but I had a mess that needed fixed. I took my problems to this 'god' my friends talked about and once I invited Him in, He changed my life.

Hebrews 11:6
I don't charge much...

Not to be a dick but....

You can't explain it factually, you just have a very strong opinion on it.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I have a friend who's brother was born blind, he was prayed for and can now see, he's a friend i've known all my life. He is a rational guy, going to be studying some form of science at uni (I think Maths) but to him there is no other explanation for what happened, and I trust him. Oh, his brother was very young at the time so it wasn't simply a case of wanting it enough.

I know another dude who had a hernia and was prayed for and it disappeared, that was in my presence so I can testify for the truth of that one.

Theres a guy i know who prayed for a person in a wheelchair and they got up and walked. I'm always less convinced by these ones because i'm certain that in some cases these things are down to mind over matter.

Lastly, I have a friend who was in a really bad sporting incident and broke his ankle really seriously. He was told he wouldn't play again for at least 3 months if i remember correctly. Anyway my friends prayed for him and told me that they literally saw his ankle like move back into place, this was something like two weeks after the incident. Sounds nuts to me, but he's a family friend, and I have absolutely no ground on which to dispute the claim because he takes his faith very seriously.

I am always sceptical of these kind of things, there is a certainly an psychological effect, the placebo effect, which can make people think they have been healed of illnesses they have had. But at the same time there are things I have witnessed, and things which friends have witnessed, which can be explained in no way, at least presently, than through some "spiritual intervention," whatever that may be.
Equally I know people who have been prayed for that have received no healing whatsoever. To me that does not however take away the legitimacy of the other healing's I have talked about. It just opens up a debate on the nature of God.
PSN: Noverion
Last edited by Noverion at Sep 16, 2010,
I don't believe in those evangelists that knock people to the ground and take everyone's money.

I do however believe in people causing illness by will (the evil eye) and being able to heal that with prayer and ritual. and a few other things I've seen happen before my eyes.
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -
Quote by Bertallica
I don't believe in those evangelists that knock people to the ground and take everyone's money.

I do however believe in people causing illness by will (the evil eye) and being able to heal that with prayer and ritual. and a few other things I've seen happen before my eyes.

The truth is, it's sad that some people in this world are just 'evangilists' for the money and to as for such offerings to their program or 'widow's step of faith' just so they can take it and go on vacation to Mexico. Read 'Searching for God Knows What' by Donald Miller sometime, it's a great book and you'd be interested in it.
I don't charge much...

Under no circumstances could it possibly work, or has it ever worked. It's a dangerous and mentally unstable thing to do.
It happens. Its not something you can brush off as placebo and staging.

There are National Geographic documentaries about it. It happens quite a bit and many doctors are confounded by it.

There was a guy at my church who had cancer and some people at church prayed and laid hands on him the night before his surgery. The next day the doctors cut into him and the cancer is almost completely gone.

But it is also true that modern science and medicine is a blessing in itself. So I would never choose prayer over a doctor (some family did that and their kid died in Wisconsin I think?)
Utter shite and anyone who dies as a result of putting their faith in it won't be missed from the gene pool.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Quote by dougl126
It happens. Its not something you can brush off as placebo and staging.

There are National Geographic documentaries about it. It happens quite a bit and many doctors are confounded by it.

There was a guy at my church who had cancer and some people at church prayed and laid hands on him the night before his surgery. The next day the doctors cut into him and the cancer is almost completely gone.

But it is also true that modern science and medicine is a blessing in itself. So I would never choose prayer over a doctor (some family did that and their kid died in Wisconsin I think?)

That needs to specified (and varified) before any discussion can take place.

What I'm interested in specifically is the number of devout believers praying and being spiritually healed versus the number of devout believers praying and not being spiritually healed.

As far as I am aware, the amount of people who get healed this way is very very small, so at this point, I'd say the placebo-effect is a sufficient explanation.
EDIT: ^ You'd also need to know about the amount of people who didn't pray and still got better. Prayer has been demonstrated to actually scare patients, making them die more quickly

OT: it's a huge load of shit. Massive amounts of stupidity are required to believe it.
Last edited by captaincrunk at Sep 16, 2010,
^True, a necessary addition. Also, massive amounts of religion seem sufficient. That's all I'm going to say.

EDIT: I'd also like to see the study on prayer scaring people. Did they try to exorcise everyone or what?
Last edited by TheQuailman at Sep 16, 2010,
Page 1 of 2