I just need a bass so that I can record songs with all the instruments. I have the Line 6 Pod X3 and I recorded something with my friends bass and I thought it sounded great, but my friends bass was actually very cheap! He has the Ibanez GSR200 4-String Bass

So for this reason, I really don't think it is necessary for me to buy an expensive bass. But I don't know much about basses and I don't want to go too cheap and get a piece of crap.

I have a bass in mind, the Squier Affinity Series P Bass. It looks nice and it's definitely affordable. Is this a good choice? Any help is appreciated

(Also I don't want to get a starter pack because I really don't want one of those 15W amps!)
Ibanez are always a good decision, especially if you are looking for a well-priced bass guitar. I've been playing bass for 5 years now and my first one was the one you posted, and I still rely on it when it comes to live performances. It sounds great wether you play it with your fingers or with a plec.
I also helped finishing some records with it, you just have to know how to play it, lol.
Yeah I liked the sound of it, especially when I recorded through the Pod... it might seem like a douchey move though to just get the same bass that my buddy has :/
Squier vs Ibanez, get the Ibanez man. You can never go wrong with an Ibanez its so versitile and even their cheaper basses are extrememly reliable and rugged.

Hope this helped!
pinga
Dang, 2 out of 2 for Ibanez. Are there other models around the same price range that are good?

And I might send him a message asking how he feels about me getting the same bass... He may not want to say the truth though... And I don't think it's a good idea anyway. If somebody bought the same guitar that I have only a few (4) months after I bought it I know I wouldn't like it
i would recommend neither and go for something like a: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Epiphone-Thunderbird-IV-Bass-100388504-i1150015.gc

iv got one of these it was soo good that i went up a stage and brought a tokai one (a few hundred more pounds).
there really nice to play, have a real bassy sound, rugged and look gorgeous.
however they are very big, im 6 ft 5 and play fine with it so someone smaller may struggle :P
I'd say the ibanez too, or maybe a slightly higher model, the SR300 for instance, a very nice bass on a budget. Kicks seven shades out of the GSR. I wouldn't go for the p-bass, as personally, i don't like the sound/feel much, and they're not that versatile. If you want a squier, get either a std (not affinity) jazz or a precision special. Squier make some decent basses though.
Ew @ epiphone. Ive heard that they have neck dive/muddy sound, so im not sure about that one (I hate everything epiphone, so I may be a bit biased here).

The SR300 > GSR. You would have to spend a little more, but in the end, you get a better bass and it looks better in my opinion (GSR looks kinda nooby, SR looks pretty tight).
pinga
Good cheap basses: Ibanez GSR200, Peavey Millennium BXP, Yamaha RBX170, and Squier VM's and CV's.

If you want to go the Squier route, I suggest you get something nicer than the Affinity. Go for the Vintage Modified or Classic Vibe series. A little bit more expensive, but sooooo much better.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by budget bassist
I'd say the ibanez too, or maybe a slightly higher model, the SR300 for instance, a very nice bass on a budget. Kicks seven shades out of the GSR. I wouldn't go for the p-bass, as personally, i don't like the sound/feel much, and they're not that versatile. If you want a squier, get either a std (not affinity) jazz or a precision special. Squier make some decent basses though.

Thank you, this was good information!

Quote by Cakemuncher123
i would recommend neither and go for something like a: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Epiphone-Thunderbird-IV-Bass-100388504-i1150015.gc

iv got one of these it was soo good that i went up a stage and brought a tokai one (a few hundred more pounds).
there really nice to play, have a real bassy sound, rugged and look gorgeous.
however they are very big, im 6 ft 5 and play fine with it so someone smaller may struggle :P

Woah, from the distance picture it was just like "meh" but when I did the sunburst and zoomed in... WOAH! That is awesome! What a beautiful bass!

This next quote discouraged me though

Quote by Cb4rabid
Ew @ epiphone. Ive heard that they have neck dive/muddy sound, so im not sure about that one (I hate everything epiphone, so I may be a bit biased here).

The SR300 > GSR. You would have to spend a little more, but in the end, you get a better bass and it looks better in my opinion (GSR looks kinda nooby, SR looks pretty tight).

Why do you hate all things epiphone? Plus, I think Gibson and Epiphone were run by the same people

But an SR300 huh?

I was looking at that! Plus this dude that I know on youtube because we both do covers and crap has the same bass and it sounds excellent!

I think I am going to go with the SR300 because it just sounds PERFECT, check out the video where the guy uses it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shxhwNZw3X0

So that pretty much makes my decision final, thank you SO much guys! You saved me from buying the Squire P-Bass (Which I think I would have regretted)

Now the final thing to do...

CHOOSE THE DAMN COLOR!!!! haha XD

Are there goods and bads about each color or something to help narrow it down? Also there is a "sparkle silver" option, is that too gay?
Last edited by Tmusician at Sep 16, 2010,
The epi t-bird is very much a love-hate thing. Personally, I don't like them. They sound very average and the playability is below average IMO, but a lot of people just dig the looks.

Go for the Ibby, it's a very dependable bass and great VFM. Also, get it in white pearl, lovely colour
^ Well the white has a maple fretboard as opposed to the blue which has a rosewood fretboard (hence the difference in color).
pinga
What the heck! Pearl White AND Blue aren't options on my link!!!

But I CAN get a Pearl White SRA 300 with the dark fretboard too!

For an extra hundred dollars.... Why does that "A" cost $100? What is the difference?
Quote by Tmusician
What the heck! Pearl White AND Blue aren't options on my link!!!

But I CAN get a Pearl White SRA 300 with the dark fretboard too!

For an extra hundred dollars.... Why does that "A" cost $100? What is the difference?

It comes with EMG Hz pickups and just better overall.

Although, i've played the EMG passives and in MY pinion they sound dull as a rock. It would be best for you to go down to your store and try every single bass in your price range and see for yourself. What I find gay you might find straighter than Chuck Norris and etc.
pinga
Quote by Cb4rabid
It comes with EMG Hz pickups and just better overall.

Although, i've played the EMG passives and in MY pinion they sound dull as a rock. It would be best for you to go down to your store and try every single bass in your price range and see for yourself. What I find gay you might find straighter than Chuck Norris and etc.

Eh... I don't know if I am going to go to Guitar Center because while they have an impressive collection of guitars, I don't remember seeing a huge selection of basses.

And so you are saying the pick-ups in this other one is actually WORSE! That is so annoying! Gah!

I wonder why they show pictures of Pearl White but then don't have it as an option...
Probably because it's not in stock. You don't HAVE to buy from guitar center you know.
And HZ's aren't necessarily worse... I just wouldn't say they're any better.
GAAAAH!!!!

The one that has the right price AND the perfect looks is fretless! You have to be kidding me! I thought I had found but then I notice the horrible truth! http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-SR300--Fretless-Bass-Guitar-580521-i1440471.gc

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Geez.... why is so hard to find a Pearl White Ibanez rosewood fretted electric-bass with silver hardware?
Last edited by Tmusician at Sep 16, 2010,
Alright I pretty much narrowed it down to these two:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-GSR200-4-String-Bass-100463976-i1150632.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-SR300M-Bass-Guitar-105310056-i1440494.gc

But something that I am having trouble deciding is what color to get, I want to get either white or blue, and I was leaning towards white, but I read online that white guitars turn yellowish after a few years! Is this true for these guitars?

And another thing is that the neck woods are different on those two models, and in terms of looks I prefer the rosewood
^ SR300 all the way. Think of it as the big brother of the GSR.

As for the color problem, im not sure about the whole yellow thing, i've never heard or seen anyone with this problem, so I think you'll be okay.
I prefer maple over rosewood , I think it compliments the white.
pinga
Yeah maybe it would be good to get a guitar with a maple neck, all I have ever had is rosewood. But I do like the rosewood look better...

I am starting to soften up to the Silver Sparkle SR300 SR bass guitar (gay as the name may be :P), especially when all of it's reviews are 5/5, while the reviews for the SR300M average at 4/5, with some saying that two of the strings don't have a "punch" that the center two strings have.

I hate decisions.
Honestly, the sparkle doesnt actually glimmer like a christmas tree or anything, but it IS noticible when you're up close to it.

In your case, i'd say go for the silver, since it has the rosewood you like and the color is somewhat similiar to white and you dont have to worry about the rumors of the yellow tarnish which i dont really think is true.
pinga
Quote by Cb4rabid
Honestly, the sparkle doesnt actually glimmer like a christmas tree or anything, but it IS noticible when you're up close to it.

In your case, i'd say go for the silver, since it has the rosewood you like and the color is somewhat similiar to white and you dont have to worry about the rumors of the yellow tarnish which i dont really think is true.

On a finish like that, it wont turn yellow for years (it will eventually, but it might take 20 years or so)
Silver Sparkle is awesome.

As for white, it fades to a yellow color if you have a nitro finish, which is uncommon to say the least unless you have a vintage Fender. Most basses nowadays have a more durable poly finish, which is much much less prone to fading.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
haha I just did "the test" with my mom and she said she thought the silver one looked best, and I think I agree, I think I am going to get that!

But my mom is worried about "maintence" like with my guitars, can I ask how much maintenence a bass is? And is the average need to change strings longer than a guitar?
Well here's what I did/do.

I bought the big ol' Dunlop kit that comes with really everything you need to pamper your bass (costs about 25 bucks) and I change my strings every 3-4 months, but thats just me, some people wait longer.

The dunlop kit includes a polisher that I use once every few days and it works miracles on the finish as well as a string conditioner that brings out the shine/cleans your strings and a wax that you're supposed to use once a month that makes it shine nicely and it brings a fretboard cleaner/retoucher that i have yet to use. Comes with 2 nice polishing cloths and a fret cleaner.

Honestly though, you only really need a polishing cloth and mabybe dab just a bit of water on it to get out the grime from playing so much on it. You can't really see finger prints on your finish, so dont worry.
pinga
Last edited by Cb4rabid at Sep 17, 2010,
Quote by Cb4rabid
Well here's what I did/do.

I bought the big ol' Dunlop kit that comes with really everything you need to pamper your bass (costs about 25 bucks) and I change my strings every 3-4 months, but thats just me, some people wait longer.

The dunlop kit includes a polisher that I use once every few days and it works miracles on the finish as well as a string conditioner that brings out the shine/cleans your strings and a wax that you're supposed to use once a month that makes it shine nicely and it brings a fretboard cleaner/retoucher that i have yet to use. Comes with 2 nice polishing cloths and a fret cleaner.

Honestly though, you only really need a polishing cloth and mabybe dab just a bit of water on it to get out the grime from playing so much on it. You can't really see finger prints on your finish, so dont worry.

Awesome

And one more thing, I would like to save as much money as possible on the things I need to get (I think just a case, some picks, and maybe a strap)

Would this case be good enough? http://www.guitarcenter.com/Road-Runner-Pro-Electric-Bass-Gig-Bag-102567047-i1151621.gc

Or do I need to save up and get this? http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-MB100C-Bass-Case-100052793-i1152781.gc
^ NO!

Well honestly, I have a gig bag and it protects it just fine. Cases are annoying, they get in the way and not really needed. The only time I would get a case is if the bass is worth more than my life.

Buy the bag.
pinga
Quote by Tmusician
haha I just did "the test" with my mom and she said she thought the silver one looked best, and I think I agree, I think I am going to get that!

But my mom is worried about "maintence" like with my guitars, can I ask how much maintenence a bass is? And is the average need to change strings longer than a guitar?

I tend to change my strings every six months - ish. Other than that, the maintenance is no different to a guitar. Oil the fretboard every few months, polish it if you're that way inclined... the usual.
It'd be a good idea to get both a case and a gig bag eventually IMO. The bag is easier to transport, but the case does everything the bag does, and does it better, its just heavier. If you have to get one, get the case, unless you don't care about protecting your new baby

As for maintenance, a good microfiber cloth is a wonderful tool. Finish polish and string conditioners and fret polishes are nice touches, but really aren't absolutely necessary. As for strings, a good set should last you a while, roundwounds can usually last a couple months, and flatwounds can go forever. You'll find that bass strings don't break nearly as often as guitar strings, and they are also quite a bit more expensive (anywhere from $25 to $40+ for a pack).
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
White guitars only go yellow after a very very long time; and if it does happen, it looks good. It's not a horrible yellow, it just looks sort of vintage. Unless you plan on keeping the thing for another 40 years it's not something you'll have to worry about.

Also, an advantage of white is that often manufacturers will use superior quality woods on a white instrument to a darker one, because lines where different bits of wood have been botched together are a lot more visible on a white one.

In terms of cases, I'd highly recommend a hard case. It really depends on how you like your basses, or whether you care. You're not going to do any damage to the playability of the thing by keeping it in a soft case, unless you start smashing it around (which you wouldn't), but over time it'll pick up dings and such. Personally I hate dings on my basses, so they both stay in their hard cases all the time, and only come out to be played, then go straight back in.
I just dont feel that he needs a case for his uses. Its not like he's gonna throw it off a cliff or use it as a club.

If you're just going to use it at home for personal use or jamming with a friend, a case just sounds like overkill to me, but if you truly want a case, why not go for it?
pinga
Yeah I think I am going to save up for the hard case. I use a hard case exclusively for my guitar and I have gotten so used to that I don't even think of a hard case as a hassle, and it is so easy to put the guitar into a hard case!

Anyway thanks a lot guys! Hopefully I will be able to buy all this stuff soon
Quote by Tmusician
So for this reason, I really don't think it is necessary for me to buy an expensive bass. But I don't know much about basses and I don't want to go too cheap and get a piece of crap.

I have a bass in mind, the Squier Affinity Series P Bass. It looks nice and it's definitely affordable. Is this a good choice?

First part, definitely yes. Second part, *SLAP*, NO!

Get a Vintage Modified Jaguar bass. That will fulfil ANY bass recording requirements. If you want to play 5 string songs then the Squier Deluxe Jazz V.
Quote by Spaz91
First part, definitely yes. Second part, *SLAP*, NO!

Get a Vintage Modified Jaguar bass. That will fulfil ANY bass recording requirements. If you want to play 5 string songs then the Squier Deluxe Jazz V.

haha thanks man, but I got it all sorted out, I am going to get this: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-SR300-SR-Electric-Bass-Guitar-105940589-i1480510.gc#customer-reviews

hopefully soon