So I just got hired this week as a doorman, and I start this weekend.

Anyone in the pit been or are currently a doorman at a club?

What kind of duties are expected, what kind of situations do you find yourself in.

My job description wasn't, though it seems like it's not a very mentally strenuous job.
sigh...
How the **** did you get a job as a doorman and not know what a doorman does?

Have you ever been to a club?
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
@ Vornik
I know what a doorman typically does at the door. But I wasn't sure if there were typically other duties.
sigh...
Be prepared to get physical with people.

And ALWAYS make sure you have another bouncer there when you do. Mostly for legal reasons, and because you're gonna get your ass kicked when three big monkeys want in and you're the only bouncer there.
yes, I worked at the Fillmore and the Warfield in San Francisco. I had to search people before they entered the venue.

feeling people up all night.

the best part was when some drunk guy would stumble towards me and say, "I want her to search me!"
You have to stand there and be an ass hole, and not let me into any bars, because my passport photo was taken when I was 15, and no longer looks any thing like me -.-"
Quote by enceps
So I just got hired this week as a doorman, and I start this weekend.

Anyone in the pit been or are currently a doorman at a club?

What kind of duties are expected, what kind of situations do you find yourself in.

My job description wasn't, though it seems like it's not a very mentally strenuous job.

you need to be confident and show authority even if your not confident act it this will help in bad situations.

ive just been on a body language course if someone is getting aggressive DO NOT start raising your voice and getting aggressive back this makes it escalate instead stand with your arms by your sides and talk calmly rember if stuff does kick off theres bound to be back up

and also if you go in the place you work help them clear away glasses etc it will give you kudos
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Quote by Vornik
How the **** did you get a job as a doorman and not know what a doorman does?

Have you ever been to a club?

Looks like he'll fit right in.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
@ranic- Thanks for the body language tips.

also, I have no clue how I got this job. I went to the club with my resume, the manager said they were horribly understaffed then pretty much hired me on the spot, no interview or anything.
sigh...
Quote by enceps
@ranic- Thanks for the body language tips.

also, I have no clue how I got this job. I went to the club with my resume, the manager said they were horribly understaffed then pretty much hired me on the spot, no interview or anything.

Are you at least a big guy?? I've never seen a small bouncer..
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
Quote by Krieger91
Are you at least a big guy?? I've never seen a small bouncer..

I'm taller/bigger, than all there current doorman staff. Not really muscular though alot of people say there intimidated by me.
sigh...
i am but im a trainee engineer not doorman haha

i wouldnt mind trying it one day

and dont you need to be registered and have an id card with your photo and a chip on it to be able to do this sort of work too?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Just please don't kill Jaco Pastorius.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Congratulations, you've just recieved a mandate to be a complete **** for no reason sometimes.
DOWN WITH THIS SORT OF THING
and
CAREFUL NOW

No man needs a holiday more than the man who has just had one.
Never done any door work and probably never will, but in my experience of going to pubs and clubs with bouncers on the door, i usually get annoyed when they act like assholes, not enough to do something about it, but generally if bouncers are fair and reasonable then there is less chance of trouble starting.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.