Can some one explain time signatures to me. I understand the simple ones like 4/4, 3/4, 3/4 etc. but anything harder than that is beyond me.

Also, if possible, could some one tell me how I could write one signature, in another. I need to know because I'm doing some thing in a MIDI, but the program I'm using isn't able to change in the middle of the piece. It's rather frustrating.

Many thanks.
The number on top (the 6 in 6/8) represents how many beats per measure, and the lower number (the 8 in 6/8) represents what kind of beat you're using. 1 is a whole note, 2 is a half note, 4 is a quarter note.....and so on.

So 6/8 means there while be 6 eighth note beats per measure. 3/4 means 3 quarter notes per measure.
Time Magazine's 2006 Person of the Year
Last edited by carlyroxmysox at Sep 16, 2010,
Try listening to some guitar pieces/drum beats in odd time signatures.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg5UuPUPT00&feature=channel
Apologies for the cheesy camera angle changes, but it gets the point accross, also check out the 7/4 one.

As for changes in MIDI programs, it is possible, but it would be very frustrating, you would have to tie over the end of bars and remember that the end/begining of a bar wouldn't be where the program is showing you.
Quote by carlyroxmysox
The number on top (the 6 in 6/8) represents how many beats per measure, and the lower number (the 8 in 6/8) represents what kind of beat you're using. 1 is a whole note, 2 is a half note, 4 is a quarter note.....and so on.

So 6/8 means there while be 6 eighth note beats per measure. 3/4 means 3 quarter notes per measure.

Oh, that's easy. Thanks

Quote by Cold Reader
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg5U...feature=channel
Apologies for the cheesy camera angle changes, but it gets the point accross, also check out the 7/4 one.

As for changes in MIDI programs, it is possible, but it would be very frustrating, you would have to tie over the end of bars and remember that the end/begining of a bar wouldn't be where the program is showing you.

Ugh, I figured as much. Thanks any ways.
Quote by Cold Reader
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg5UuPUPT00&feature=channel

Just had to give him the drum lesson with the most annoying guy on earth huh?

Just listen to music with odd times a lot. Dream Theater, Rush and The Mars Volta are good places to start.

Also try counting it the music you listen to.
Last edited by Dio10101 at Oct 3, 2010,
4/4 and 3/4 are the most common (7/8) uhh.. maybe
<Insert Witty Comment Here>

1981 Fender Lead I Seymour Duncan humbucker, Mesa BoogieIIIRectifer, MKIIRhodes,PRS