Ive been looking around for a new amp and found 2 i like, a blackstar ht5 and an ibanez tubescreamer amp. both are heads and cost around $300. Please help me decide. id also be willing to take suggestions for other amps too. budgets gonna be about $500. if u suggest a head, please leave enough for me to buy a used 4x12. if its a combo, then it can take up all $500.
I don't know about the TSA, it seems extremely gimmicky. And I'm sure the whole "Tubescreamer circuitry built-right-in" thing is of generally lesser quality than of an actualy TS-9/808/whatever.

But we need a little more information, what genres/styles do you play? What's your current guitar(s)? Why these two?
Are you looking for new or used?
Where are you located?
Im in the US, Ohio thats all im gona say. I play an ESP LTD M100FM. I want it to be tube if possible. im in a band and we play anything from soft rock to metallica, tho i play harder stuff on my own. i can buy a pedal seperate for distortion sounds. id prefer new but if theres a big used market for the amp u suggest that will work too.
Check out the Ibanez Tube Screamer Amp thread, it will totally help you choice.

Basically if you need an effects loop and like the features of the TSA, go for it. In that price range the only thing that is gonna sound better is the Jet City 20 watt head, but that has no effects loop. The Blackstar I don't really like as it's not really a tube, but if you personally like the sound more than the Ibanez go for it.
Agile Interceptor Pro 725 EB EMG
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
I doubt the Ht-5 would be loud enough to get over a drummer anyway. Without being miked that is.

Edit: and +1 for the jetcity.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.

"oh boy"

"Ziggy says there's a 98% chance this thread might deliver"

Well, as TheAbsentOne says, the ibanez might be a bit gimmicky- if you don't already have a tubescreamer, and if it can be switched out of the circuit, it might be sweet, though.

The blackstar, I dunno about gimmickry, but you're getting some shenanigans in the circuit. Pregain and the like. Amplifying diodes.

Shenanigans versus gimmickry.

What type of music do you play?

EDIT: no shenanigans with the jet city unfortunately. Pretty piss-poor colour coordination there (navy and black? o_O ), but if it sounds good (and it's meant to, and be decent design and quality of parts for the price, too), that doesn't matter.

EDIT #2: Oh i see you posted what you play... having not tried any of the 3 (LOL), but based on educated guesswork and the clips I've heard, I'd be inclined to go for the jet city, if its being a single channel and the lack of an fx loop aren't problems. Crunch with guitar volume up full, roll back for cleans (or cleanish tones), step on a boost for solos and heavier stuff.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 16, 2010,
Honestly with $500.00 you could find a really good tube combo in the used department. You might even have enough leftover to buy a pedal to help cover any tonal needs.
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
yeah but that's no fun because you get no shenanigans.

UNLESS YOU BUY A BIGGER BLACKSTAR!

Seriously, though, used is a judgement call- you get more for your money, but there's more risk, too. you really have to do it on a case by case basis.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah but that's no fun because you get no shenanigans.

UNLESS YOU BUY A BIGGER BLACKSTAR!

Seriously, though, used is a judgement call- you get more for your money, but there's more risk, too. you really have to do it on a case by case basis.

If we're talking risk, idk anything riskier than walking into a Guitar Center. Lol

But seriously as long as your allowed to try before you buy and you know or have the time to do your homework you should be fine.
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
Quote by bluejaydude
Does any1 know what maidens lead guitarist played anyway? just out of curiousity

I have no idea but I believe it's a Marshall Tube Head, like a JVM.

At your price range however, it would be pretty hard to recreate that sound without settling for some budget tone.
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
Quote by Funk Monk
If we're talking risk, idk anything riskier than walking into a Guitar Center. Lol

But seriously as long as your allowed to try before you buy and you know or have the time to do your homework you should be fine.

hehe

and yeah, but sometimes you can't do that.

maiden normally uses marshalls... peavey windsor? i'm guessing the jet city wouldn't be a million miles away either, but i could be wrong.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Maiden, that's the Marshall JCM800 back in the day and JCM2000 nowadays, if I'm not mistaken.

Please tell us your closest major city. Drop the "that's all I'm going to say" crap, we're trying to help you here. We need to know that so we can look up stuff on the used market that might work for you. You can get some sweet gear that way. Don't worry, I'm not going to track you down to peep on you through your window. I'll only peep on your mom and sis.

What I'm thinking right now is a used Tranor YCV-series amp. Nice combos that work well for all sorts of rock sounds. Failing that the JCA20 is a popular choice these days.
traynor ycv is a good call. isn't the 50 the most marshally one? I've only tried the 40 (fendery) and 20 (voxy, i guess)...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah, but 500 might be a stretch for a used one. The other two are easier to find and will get him in the ballpark, still. I mean, 500 won't get you a dead-on Maiden sound, no matter what.

Maybe a used Peavey VTM/Butcher/Ultra?
maybe. at one point they were going pretty cheap, so you might get lucky If not, agreed.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
guys i dont have the 500 yet so any used things u find wil probably be sold before iget it. sorry.
Well then when you get the $500, look on the used market. Buying new amps are for our rich brothers. We must do what we can to get the best value for the buck, comrade.

LMAO @ shenanigans vs gimmickry

Think of it this way... if you had $15 and wanted a new video game, would you go new or used? Used you will likely get some of the funnest games to ever come out on the PS2. New, you are likely to find some Hannah Montana bullshit in the budget bin at Walmart.

BUT ITS NEW!
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Last edited by DeathByDestroyr at Sep 16, 2010,
Well, once you have the cash, report back or make a new thread.

The amps that were mentioned so far are nice and should do what you want, so you can look for them yourself also.
Quote by bluejaydude
Does any1 know what maidens lead guitarist played anyway? just out of curiousity

Maidens guitarists play Marshall DSL's I believe.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by gregs1020
do you want op amps or diodes?

don't you get both with both amps?

Quote by DeathByDestroyr

LMAO @ shenanigans vs gimmickry

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?