Hello Pit,

So, I'm ordering sheet music, and the only (yes, the ONLY, I've done the research) place that carries it requires me to email them my information. I know this is a legitimate company, as the company that publishes the music I want (the Canadian company Berandol) says on their website that said publisher is their sole distributor.

But, what are the risks of sending CC info via email?
They're canadian, I'm sure you can trust them.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
That's really really sketchy. If yours/their email accounts are hacked, which happens pretty often, then people can see the copies in your sent folders and their inbox. What a crap way to do business. At least request to send a check.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by nmitchell076
I know this is a legitimate company, as the company that publishes the music I want (the Canadian company Berandol) says on their website that said publisher is their sole distributor.

So, wait.

The only company that produces this sheet music uses one distributor, and that one distributor makes you e-mail your secure information.

What about that makes them legit? I seriously considered trolling here, but come on, TS, don't fall for this.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

ask for there paypal
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Quote by SteveHouse
So, wait.

The only company that produces this sheet music uses one distributor, and that one distributor makes you e-mail your secure information.

What about that makes them legit? I seriously considered trolling here, but come on, TS, don't fall for this.

+1

But if you decide to do it anyway I should mention that I'm a Nigerian prince, so you can go ahead and CC me that information.
Quote by SteveHouse
So, wait.

My professor ordered music from them and so has my university's music library. My faith in the publisher is therefore not an issue, it is with the security of emails themselves.

The reason they use one distributor is that they exclusively publish works by Canadian composers. They look for composers who are not in demand enough to be carried by the mainstream sheet music companies (like sheetmusicplus) and publish them, they fill a small niche, that's why they only have one distributor.

The composer is a guy named Harry Somers, to show the demand, if you search for him on youtube, you will turn up barely anything at all.
Last edited by nmitchell076 at Sep 16, 2010,
Honestly though, why is emailing information so sketchy? I mean, we hand our credit cards to complete strangers when paying for dinner, people fax their information, which can often lay in a printer for all the world to see, phone lines can be tapped, etc. So what is it that makes emailing so incredibly unsafe. (not that I'm saying it is secure, which I don't believe it is, but I just realized that I could not really distinguish WHY it is so unsafe compared to other ways we use our credit cards.)
I wouldn't if I were you. It seems a bit dodgy, I've never heard of having to email your credit card details before.
I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.
Sounds really, really sketchy that. I wouldn't do it.
The plan was to drink until the pain over.
But what's worse, the pain or the hangover?
Who am I? I'm a titan so be expectin' a clash.
You could send it attached in an encrypted file, and then separately send them the keys to read it properly. It wouldn't really stop a super determined cracker, but if someone just was looking through your emails or something like that, it would be safer than not doing it.
Quote by :Vicious--
how did u guys get from pit flags to mace windu raping kids using an ice cream truck

Quote by -Vogel-
"Don't touch my buttsecks"
It really seems like the worst disguised trap ever. You don't need to be Ackbar to tell that.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Kensai
I could make so many jokes at this line's expense, but I won't.

OT: TS, there's always a risk someone who works for the company you're sending this email to could steal your CC info. But it's unlikely. If you're worried, you prolly shouldn't buy from this company. Though I'd say you have little reason to worry.

Edit: I forgot about hackers. Never mind. I'd, um, just not do this. When I consider hackers, it sounds like a bad idea.
I'm clearly tired if I'm saying shit like, "There's no problem with emailing CC info".
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Sep 16, 2010,
Quote by nmitchell076
Honestly though, why is emailing information so sketchy? I mean, we hand our credit cards to complete strangers when paying for dinner, people fax their information, which can often lay in a printer for all the world to see, phone lines can be tapped, etc. So what is it that makes emailing so incredibly unsafe. (not that I'm saying it is secure, which I don't believe it is, but I just realized that I could not really distinguish WHY it is so unsafe compared to other ways we use our credit cards.)

The only way giving someone your card is unsafe is if they steal the number in front of their coworkers and boss.
Nobody checks anyone else's faxes for information, dude, the only people who use faxes are offices.
Emails last forever on servers that somebody can hack, as happens periodically.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Also the only reason why they say they have the music NO ONE ELSE HAS, is so they can lure in people like you.
Which musical piece is it?
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by nmitchell076

what I want explained is how giving all of your information over the phone to a stranger (me) is safer than ordering online.
This is worse than having your nutsack in a bear trap. Do not do it.

People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
Last edited by Deadlock Riff at Sep 16, 2010,
Quote by Kensai

I'm Canadian, send me your information and I'll get you the sheet music.
Quote by Mad Marius
Which musical piece is it?

Its Harry Somers' "Primeval" from his Three Sonnets (you can listen to it on iTunes, they have the complete piano works of Harry Somers)
Quote by convictionless
Also the only reason why they say they have the music NO ONE ELSE HAS, is so they can lure in people like you.

honestly, I'm not worried about the recipient, just hackers. I have been informed by my professor and my music library that they are trustworthy, as they have both ordered from said publisher countless times.

But the servers are randomized, basically, are they not? A hacker would first have to hack the server, and then distinguish from my subject line out of thousands or millions on the same server in order to determine whether or not my CC info is even on there.

Even then, if sent in two parts, they would be sent through different servers, thus solving the problem of hackers since they wouldn't be privy to all of my info.
I felt that this was appropriate.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ