Page 1 of 2
Now, the time has come!
I'm starting to build my Ultimate V-styled guitar as soon as possible. I haven't ordered any of the parts yet, but I will start with that exactly tomorrow by filling up my PayPal account so that I can actually order stuff.

Actual configuration of my forthcoming and first build will be a bit of a surprise, though here are a few specs I'm willing to share:
1. It's neck through, maple and walnut, 5 piece. If possible with carbon fiber in thin layers in between.
2. Its body will be styled a bit after this guitar: Agile Reaper.
3. I will only use local woods.
4. More strings, floating tremolo. More on that when stuff is on its way.

Anyways, here's the first deal: I do not know what kinds of wood I want in this beast and I know that I'm bad at deciding this for myself, so I need your help to choose which woods should go into this build. First, here's a little mockup I did right now so you can check how I envision this guitar to be.

And here's a list of woods I have picked to be more or less local for the different parts:
Neck: This is going to be maple + walnut, no discussions.
Fretboard: I have no idea what is suited for this. I'm open to any suggestions.
Stripes next to the wings: Walnut or pistachio.
Wings: Hazelnut (1, 2), sycamore tree, elm, ash or more experimentally apple tree or pistachio.

So, please voice opinions on what woods to get for this build! Coloring (a light or heavy stain in either blood red or dark grey) depends on woods chosen and how well they're "stainable".

And for those wondering whether or not such a thing like this is a good "starting point" for building guitar, I say: It is! I have modded quite a bit on my current guitars even without proper tools for it and can't complain as far as what I've been able to accomplish. I'm going to order some tools for this though that are necessary (fret saw, fret file) while others are already around (dremel with routing bit, drill, different hand-saws, planer, etc.). With a good deal of planning (exact 1:1 plans drawn on paper and build process clearly in my mind) this shouldn't be going too bad at least.

Quote by Explorerbuilder
not feeling the headstock at all, it doesnt fit the body at all.

Then I wonder what would fit. A Jackson headstock (RR-style) would be impossible due to the amount of strings or else it would be huge, probably making the guitar neck-heavy, same with Ibanez-styled headstock. Or maybe not. I'll check that out how it would work once I get home at about lunchtime.

Keep in mind though that the stripes from the neck should be going over the headstock too, but I couldn't be bothered to do that in the mockup itself because of the amount of work it would have turned into.
Update: Headstock revised. I let myself inspire from my Dragon and made the headstock pointy, which probably makes it more pleasing (in my eyes at least) as the rest of the guitar is also pointy:

No opinions on wood? In that case I'll try to find figured hazel for the wings (maybe more, I'll still have to check).
I'd go with a lighter wood and just stain them to that dark red. Also, not sure how much I would like figured around neck-thru :/

But it's your guitar ha. I'd vote something simple for the wood pattern. Nothing too figured. And for a fretboard, I'd use some lighter rosewood. I think it'll look nice.
Art is Vice. You don't marry it legitimately, you rape it...
-Edgar Degas
Quote by 3-R4Z0R
Then I wonder what would fit. A Jackson headstock (RR-style) would be impossible due to the amount of strings or else it would be huge,

12 string?
a thought i have considered using for a 12 string on a small'ish 6 string headstock
if it will work i dont know.

6 strings set up as normal. (machineheads on headstock)
the other 6 - ferrules through the headstock with banjo machineheads recessed into the rear fins of the of the body. like a bc rich 10 string.
thats if the banjo machine heads are short enough to be flush with the body thickness, so you wont knock them out of tune.
Last edited by Dave8706 at Sep 17, 2010,
The headstock looks better now, IMO. The other one didn't match very well, but that one looks good.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
You don't need to use Banjo tuners now, since I believe Schaller or Schatten or maybe Steinberger one have some gearless high ratio tuners that would work wonderfully. I intend to use them in a future build for a 10 string with a Piezo bridge.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Tone Deaf
I'd go with a lighter wood and just stain them to that dark red. Also, not sure how much I would like figured around neck-thru :/

But it's your guitar ha. I'd vote something simple for the wood pattern. Nothing too figured. And for a fretboard, I'd use some lighter rosewood. I think it'll look nice.

Seems to be a good idea overall. I guess that the lightly figured hazel should be a good option (similar to something in between flamed and quilted maple) like here.
There's no problem combining figured wood with neck through like in these models: Ibanez or BC Rich. I do think though that your point is definitely valid in terms of the guitar having too many details all over the place, looking overloaded and crowded, loosing a certain dignity and sleekness.

Rosewood isn't local, but I guess, I'll count in America too, because I have relatives there. Seems to be the best choice for the fretboard overall.

Quote by Dave8706
12 string?

No, not that many. It's going to be an ERG. When I thought about a Jackson headstock not being viable was because it's so angled towards the fretboard, while an Ibanez works (they have models at this size), but I don't like the Ibanez-headstock style (and it'd probably anyways be rather neck heavy).

Status update: PayPal transaction is on its way, soon I'll order the first piece of many.
I'm going to look for wood either on Wednesday or Friday next week.

Further update (I wrote most part of this post earlier today, but didn't post it): I've been searching for the right gear to accompany my bridge/nut choice. Most stuff is readily available, but I've been unable to find a fitting truss rod.
Sneak peak: Stainless steel fret wire.
Hahaha, after seeing your design it reminded me of sum of the old stuff I used to draw ages ago. It almost looks identical to a few of the designs I drew.

Anyways cant w8 till you start
Have you mapped out where the tuners go on the headstock? I'm liking the design of the headstock, but I think the strings might not "fan out" in the most aesthetically pleasing manner.
Quote by Pikka Bird
Have you mapped out where the tuners go on the headstock? I'm liking the design of the headstock, but I think the strings might not "fan out" in the most aesthetically pleasing manner.

They won't fan out at all, strings will go straight. I have it on paper. There will be 2 tuners on the bottom side and 6 in line on top. Moar strings, my friend.
Good. I was hoping for uneven tuner balancing for that reason exactly. Also, I think it looks nice.
Quote by Pikka Bird
Good. I was hoping for uneven tuner balancing for that reason exactly. Also, I think it looks nice.

Yeah. I will be ordering these tuners tomorrow afternoon (2 x 3L+3R and put aside four of them that I might use in some other project if I want to do something else too): *clickey-linkey*.

Edit: Oh, and does someone know of a strong truss rod that fits a neck with 568 mm fretboard (22.4 inch)? Scale length is 720mm (28.35 inch) with 27 frets. If not, I'm going to stick to my plan of ordering one from my neighbor (metalworker).
Last edited by 3-R4Z0R at Sep 19, 2010,
Update: Bridge/nut, tuners, electronics, fret wire, knobs, inlays are ordered.

Still to do: Get wood tomorrow, transfer more money to paypal and order pickups. Sneak peak: *link*.

Unfortunately hazel isn't available in big enough pieces, so I'm probably going to take elm or ash, maybe even figured maple for the wings (if my local woodshop has that).
Maybe I'll have to increase scale length by some 3 - 4 cm to be able to actually fit a readily available bass trussrod. First I'll ask my neighbour though, because I really like the sound of 720mm (and it really shouldn't be much longer than that, it's 28.35 inch).
Today's update: I was at the woodworker's place and got some really nice wood. It wasn't expensive either, at least for local price levels for wood. Was 100.- (franks = bucks now ;P) for everything and sawn to spec (of course leaving margins so that I can do the exact planing and sawing).

I now have maple, walnut and elm. Which looks like this:

Bridge has been sent, so that might arrive here within a week or two.

Next on plan: Planing, sawing and glueing wood to make a neck blank, and somehow finding rosewood in the right size to order.

Edit: When looking at that picture, I think it shouldn't be those pieces of elm there. I'll check how dark they are when planed, but if they're that dark then as well, I think I'll have to get those exchanged with something lighter.
Last edited by 3-R4Z0R at Sep 22, 2010,
^Good omens.

For future reference, in case you think it's useful: You can flip Sperzel tuners so a left side tuner becomes a right side one. Very useful for stuff that's a little outside the 6 inline and 3+3 configs.
Update: Got a good routing module for my Dremel. And an electric planer. =)
Plus, my bridge and nut should be here in about two more days (plus a bill for customs and an even larger one for customs processing by the swiss post >.>.
And another more significant update: I have christmas here! ^^

Stuff that has come: Tuners, Bridge, Nut, some electronics... i.e. most of what makes this a guitar. =)

For those who don't know by the picture: This is a Kahler 7328 eight string floating tremolo.

Another thing that might be worth mentioning. Bridge pickup is now ordered and paid (I love PayPal ^^) and will hopefully be shipped soon from Sweden. Some of you probably know now what will be arriving here some time soon. =)
Where did you get the 8-string bridge from? I'm thinking of building an 8-string myself sometime in the near future and any help with parts-finding would be very helpful.

Build looks very promising so far!
Call me Mike, it's easier to type than MB343.
So you have to buy the cream-tipped switch and then buy a replacement tip? Business is thriving!!
Quote by MB343
Where did you get the 8-string bridge from? I'm thinking of building an 8-string myself sometime in the near future and any help with parts-finding would be very helpful.

Build looks very promising so far!

I got it here: http://wammiworld.com/. The guy running the site is very nice and friendly and if you have questions, feel free to ask him anything. =)

Quote by Pikka Bird
So you have to buy the cream-tipped switch and then buy a replacement tip? Business is thriving!!

Yes, I thought that really annoying too. In any case it was cheaper than ordering a black-tipped switch from anywhere where they have one. But of course more expensive than it would have been to order a black tipped one from within the US. Damn, I hate customs. ^^

I've had a bit of progress today: Planed all my pieces of wood to check how they will look in final stage. Lots of wood chips all around the basement, yay. In any case the elm tree pieces really surprised me. Positively that is. =) They were much much darker in core wood and much much lighter on non-core-wood, so I'm going to be able to pronounce the V-form of my guitar very well this way. =)
Quote by 3-R4Z0R
I got it here: http://wammiworld.com/. The guy running the site is very nice and friendly and if you have questions, feel free to ask him anything. =)

Cheers, this will be incredibly helpful . Good luck with the rest of the build!
Call me Mike, it's easier to type than MB343.
looking pretty promising

i still dunno about the headstock. if it were me, i would go for a jackson style one, but thats just me.

Just to clarify, is it going to have that circular cut-out thing on the body, or is it going to be more like the Alexi Laiho style? http://www.instrumentpro.com/P-ESPALELAIH?AID=10432625&PID=1621593&SID=esp1
Quote by AJSaw
looking pretty promising

i still dunno about the headstock. if it were me, i would go for a jackson style one, but thats just me.

Just to clarify, is it going to have that circular cut-out thing on the body, or is it going to be more like the Alexi Laiho style? http://www.instrumentpro.com/P-ESPALELAIH?AID=10432625&PID=1621593&SID=esp1

Nah, I'm going with this, I don't really like the Jackson headstock. =)

Body style is inspirede by this guitar, so, yes, it's going to have the circular cut out. =)

Oh, and update: I've now got a Lundgren M8 lying here at home awaiting further progress with the guitar. =)
So, I just stumbled upon this thread and I am really interested in seeing the progress of this. Any cool pics of what you've been up to?
Quote by TJHague
So, I just stumbled upon this thread and I am really interested in seeing the progress of this. Any cool pics of what you've been up to?

Not much for now, since I've mainly been busy with work for school, rehearsal with the band and similar stuff. I've found a fitting truss rod on StewMac though (and they now take PayPal), so there's virtually only two things left: The Q-Tuner pickup and fretboard wood.
Progress update: Just got some stuff from over the big pond.

First, there's my 20" truss rod that made an extra round via Sweden.
Then I just now got a nice yellow package from StewMac with a fret saw, diamond fret file (the expensive one because of the steel frets) and a set of fret files for a friend of mine.

Now it's only the fretboard left and I can really start working on this. =)
What pickup are you going for? You ok for a template? You can get an 8-string pup router template on eBay HERE (not suitable for EMG though)
Quote by lostcreation333
What pickup are you going for? You ok for a template? You can get an 8-string pup router template on eBay HERE (not suitable for EMG though)

I'll check them out, they'll work with my M8 I have lying around here. =)
Update: This project still lives.
I got some wood glue and a router bit for my Dremel on christmas, so I've been able to start glueing a bit on the neck blank. So far I've put together two of the pieces and I think it looks quite okay for now. The next piece is due on thursday, since I'm fully booked with stuff until then (lan-party and a bit of other stuff in between).
I need some time for each piece since I have to work with only two clamps and a workbench's vise (I love Wikipedia for translating ^^).

Yes, I know, pics or it didn't happen... I'll make those when all five pieces are in place.
Looks Nice Man!! once i figured ur doing the whole neck. Frets and all i was like its gonna turn out nice man

Edit: I meant it in a a good way if you didnt notice i wouldnt be able to do all that XD
Last edited by fladoodle at Dec 27, 2010,
^

Further updates made: Took me a bit longer to actually continue with the neckblank, since I had to plane down a bit of what I had made to make it perfectly flat at the headstock joint (and because I've been busy with other stuff too... LAN-party, playing MTG, Chinese, Movies, etc. ^^).

This is what it looks like right now, one more piece glued to it, 5 pieces left to glue:

And this is where I do all my building:

I think most of you wonder why I'm glueing one piece at a time and not all at once, but this has its reasons: First, I don't have the tools to do it the easy way (no planing bench, just the hand planer), then I have choosen a headstock joint style that wouldn't turn out well if I put it all together at once.
What I'm doing there is that I make the pieces from headstock and neck overlap each other to make the contact area between pieces as big as possible. I think that this is one of the most sturdy joint types. Like this:

Neck ---> Headstock
████████████ ███
███████ ████████
████████████ ███
███████ ████████
████████████ ███

I'll continue tomorrow when the current piece's glue has dried.
Interesting. Don't see many necks like that. I'm looking forward to seeing how it will turn out.
Art is Vice. You don't marry it legitimately, you rape it...
-Edgar Degas
Both kinds of scarf joint in one, effectively ending up working like a finger joint. Ingenious.
Progress has happened: I've now planed the headstock and I've started routing the trussrod channel. Routing works quite well but smells burned. Tools cooling down now. ^^

Looks like you're using a dremel to route your trussrod channel? Why not get something bigger, won't burn up like a dremel!
Quote by lostcreation333
Looks like you're using a dremel to route your trussrod channel? Why not get something bigger, won't burn up like a dremel!

I'm short on money and the dremel works quite well. I use this routing bit (4.8mm) and this routing mount.

Edit: Found a woodworker 5 minutes walk from home who has wood that will do great as fretboard wood: Sipo / Mahogany. Awesome wood and cheap cut to the right size.
Last edited by 3-R4Z0R at Jan 10, 2011,
Page 1 of 2