I seem to be getting a fair amount of hum from my guitar rig but I don't know where from. I'm running an Epiphone Explprer through a Marshall Dsl401. I used to play my Epiphone through a microcube and buzz was a bit of an issue, but not much. When I upgraded to the Marshall however, I got a lot more hum. Is this usual for all valve amps?

Maybe it's my guitar though. When I touch and metal part of it such as the bridge, strings etc. The buzzing is reduced. I assume I am earthing it when I touch the strings, but that doesn't help me to know why I get less buzz to be honest, it may help you though.

I don't have any effects pedals. Just a simple setup, guitar to amp. Oh and I do have a crappy cable, which I am replacing with Mogami cables, so that should clear up some of it. Although that won't clear up all of it as clearly some is coming from the guitar, due to the whole when i touch it i get less buzz thing.

Can people help me out? Thanks,
Adam
depends.

best thing to do is to eliminate as many variables as you can, if that's possible. plug your guitar into a known working amp (inb4 bugera), preferably the same one as yours. try a different lead with your own guitar and amp. plug a known working guitar into your amp. etc. etc. change one variable at a time until you get a change- if you don't, it might be normal.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Okay. What about my guitar pickups, could they be causing hum? They're the standard ones that come with the explorer, I'm not sure how good they are to be honest. I mean, they sound great but build quality wise.
Also, what about the electronics in the guitar itself? If it's poorly wired with poor quality components could that introduce noise?
again, depends. it could, but how likely, that's the question. if the grounding wire has come loose, that could cause noise.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Okay. So best thing to do would be to plug my guitar into an amp I know is noiseless, get that new cable I was talking about, and plug a guitar which is definitely noiseless into my amp and see what happens.
Im gonna be pissed if it's my amp, I only just got it... :S
And also one final thing, people always talk about shielding guitars, but there's way more electronics in an amp.... Can you shield amps? Or are they already shielded?
yep.

I think certain types of chassis help with shielding, but i could be wrong. some people do better grounding (star grounding? I'm way out of my league here ) as well to help with noise... bump up the power supply caps, etc. etc. There are various things you can do, but you have to know what you're doing (I don't), so you don't, er, die.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It's the guitar. You clearly stated yourself it isn't grounded. By touching anything metal you're grounding/earthing the signal. You should either take the amp to a tech or a friend who can solder and follow a schematic, and have it grounded properly.

Also, the amp might need a service. But the guitar is definitely the main problem.