Hi all,

This is my first post here ever and am hoping someone can help me out with something. I'm trying to find (or make) a small unit similar to a volume pedal but in a small discrete box that can cut the signal volume down.

You might be wondering why I want to do this? Well on my Fender Roc-Pro Amp the only way to get ANY tone out of the overdrive channels is to have the master volume set at least at about 2 or above, the problem with that is it's already getting pretty loud by then. That'd be fine for a gig, but for practicing in my room it's a bit much.

I currently use my effects loop and have a wah, 10-band eq, ns-2 and a delay in there. So i want a small little unit to just lower the signal somewhat. It doesn't even have to be adjustable.

A volume pedal would work except that I want to actually be using the volume pedal to vary the volume all the time, alternatively I could set the output of the eq-pedal down a bit but I willl run into problems when i switch the eq off.

I've read you can build a volume cut unit easily by wiring up a pot with jacks easily enough? but does anyone know of an off the shelf item? So basically a volume pedal just without the pedal part!

Any help is appreciated.
electro harmonix makes a boost pedal (lpb-1) which might work if you set it lower than your amp volume. and its pretty cheap too

EDIT: i just verified this. it does work
Last edited by SGRocker400 at Sep 16, 2010,
Quote by salgala2000
I don't know any shelf but i can teach you to make one yourself?

Yeah that'd be great...however is it possible to make one that won't affect my tone at all? It'd most likely be inserted int he effects loop straight after the pre-amp at Line-Level (-6db).
Put MXR in the FX loop of your amp. Pull down the level slider as far as it'll
go while still giving sound. Should help.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by SimplyBen
Put MXR in the FX loop of your amp. Pull down the level slider as far as it'll
go while still giving sound. Should help.

Yup, that's actually what I'm currently doing , but the problem with that is if I want to turn the MXR off, the volume all of a sudden jumps right up again. I guess if I could tamper with the MXR to make it so the Gain and Volume sliders are always on that'd work. Maybe someone knows how to do that?
What are you using the MXR for? I kinda assumed that it'd be on all the time. If you've been using that in the loop then it should be fine to use something like this.

Take you about 5 min to do I reckon.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by SimplyBen
What are you using the MXR for? I kinda assumed that it'd be on all the time. If you've been using that in the loop then it should be fine to use something like this.

Take you about 5 min to do I reckon.

Yeah that's kind of what I'm after. Thanks for the link.

Well I've got an MXR 10 band EQ. I might turn it off if I just want to go back to the flat sound. For example, my high gain overdrive channel might sound good with the MXR set a certain way, but if a switch to clean or a lower gain overdrive setting then that EQ setting might not suit, in which case I'll turnt eh MXR OFF and just let the sound go through un-affected.

I guess I really need a few eq pedals!
This is what I use. Mine was given to me but I think they are $20 - $30 on eBay and have been given the name an 'eBay attenuator'. Basically it is just a volume taper pot in a box with 2 insert jacks. Despite the crap they get I think it works really well and I do not notice any tone problems. Mine sits in the effects loop as a global master volume.

Edit: I see Ben found a DIY kit. bingo.

here's mine
Cool, thanks everyone for your help. I should have come here first thing.

One more question if anyone is up for it! I hear a lot of talk about impedance matching?? My electronics knowledge isn't as good as I'd like it to be, but I've heard you should use components of a certain impedance depending on where you are going to use it in the chain. I.e. straight fromt he guitar corresponds to high impedance and in the effect loop low impedance etc.

I'm not even that sure what I'm talking about, but does anyon know any specifics in terms of components I should be using if I'm going to put this in my effects loop at line level?

Thanks.