am i anchoring if i rest my palm on the bridge? ive heard if you stop anchoring it improves your speed and accuracy
If you are anchoring with your palm, that is ok. If you are anchoring with your pinky, or something like that, then it is not ok.
Quote by Morik
If you are anchoring with your palm, that is ok. If you are anchoring with your pinky, or something like that, then it is not ok.

well i anchor with my pinky sometimes, and it has never really caused any problems. but then again i alterate between anchoring and not anchoring
Quote by Morik

I anchor with both my pinky and by resting my palm on the strings I'm not playing. I never had any problems with my playing.
The technique guides on here shouldn't be taken as concrete fact/proof of anything. If you can anchor and still play what you want on guitar, anchor away. As long as you're not tense there is no problem with it.
Quote by odian4
am i anchoring if i rest my palm on the bridge? ive heard if you stop anchoring it improves your speed and accuracy

Ya know what? if you're curious....then try it. what's the harm. You might find no benefit, or you might find that your picking improves by not resting. Only one way to find out.

I will say that "trying it" means a little every day until you really get the hang of it. It's gonna feel different so don't judge it on the first 30 seconds.

You won't forget how to rest your palm if it doesn't work out.
I anchored for awhile and never came into any trouble, didnt really restrict me much either. That being sad I'm glad I've stopped doing it
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
Quote by Caligulus
If you check out my channel on Youtube you can take a look at my basic videos for picking. I talk in depth about anchoring. Basic Techniques

I watched your vids. I always anchored with my pinky since I started playing guitar, I used to be very tense but now I'm really relaxed, nowadays the pinky is just really touching the guitar body for the sake of it. I tried picking the way you showed in your vids and honestly I can feel a lot more tension in my arm, because I have to actively keep my hand from touching the guitar body instead of just letting it rest...

I think I'll just stick to anchoring. Don't fix it if it isn't broken
Quote by piszczel
I watched your vids. I always anchored with my pinky since I started playing guitar, I used to be very tense but now I'm really relaxed, nowadays the pinky is just really touching the guitar body for the sake of it. I tried picking the way you showed in your vids and honestly I can feel a lot more tension in my arm, because I have to actively keep my hand from touching the guitar body instead of just letting it rest...

I think I'll just stick to anchoring. Don't fix it if it isn't broken

Well if the technique is working for you without any negative drawbacks than by all means go for it. There are no rules.

But from the sounds of things it doesnt sound like you were doing my technique correctly if you are as you said actively keeping your hand from touching the guitar body instead of just letting it rest. Your hand should be rested, but on the bridge. Thats the whole point. It's hard for me to say exactly what you are doing without seeing it. And again if you feel what you already do works without any drawbacks and allows you to sound exactly how you want then by all means go for it. There is no reason to change.

But one piece of advice I have as a bit of a philosophical point is this. You have no idea how many times I've had a new student who has been playing for years come to me because they want to play faster and cleaner. They are coming to me because they can see I can play like they want to but at the same time they dont really want to take my advice. They are totally resistant to changing any of their technique because it "doesnt feel right". You know - like as in immediately!! If I can convince them to try something new that I think will serve them better and stick to it for awhile, they usually say its uncomfortable and "feels weird" etc... only to come back after a few weeks telling me I've changed their life and that they cant believe they did it another way for so long. Bottom line is this. I dont believe you can try something for only 5 or 10 minutes and decide it's not going to work. It takes time to change to a new technique and make it comfortable. If yours works for you keep it, but I know for me, I like to pick hard, and that simply isnt possible if you are anchoring your pinky. So I would consider that for me a major drawback that would make my rhythm playing sound super weak from what it is now.
Last edited by Caligulus at Sep 20, 2010,
Yeah my style of picking works very well for me really.

Actually funny thing that you mention that you have to tell your students to try something new, my guitar teacher actually told me to anchor with my pinky at the beginning, and I was very reluctant to the idea; obviously I wasn't arguing with a guy who's been playing for 20+ years, me being a complete newb, even though it didn't feel comfortable, and now that's just how I pick.

Nothing's written in stone though, even Paul Gilbert said in one of his instructional vids that he spent 8 years playing the guitar with a picking style that everyone would unilaterally agree is bad techinque.
Just because people teach unfortunately does not make their ideas any more or less valid no matter how long they been playing.

Just as a general advice to anyone - do some research on a teacher first. There are lots of people giving lessons, who are not much different than you except they are some place further ahead in their own guitar training than you are.

That doesn't always make them well-qualified, or even good at teaching anything. Get references and if possible talk to some of their current / former students.
i believe everything always points to one word "relaxed" IMO as long as you are not applying forced pressure during anchoring or anything else you should be fine. every now and then my pinky goes a stray! but it just kinda bounces around the pick guard relaxed like its just cleaning my pick guard while i play....guess it just wants to feel useful sense even when finger picking the pinky is the tagalong!