I want a Jimi Hendrix/ Blues sound, and I have some money to throw at some effects. so here goes

Strat (wilkinson WVS P'ups)----Vox Tonelab ST-----Fender Frontman 25r

is it worth buying a fender frontman or shall i stick with my Vox AD30VT?
i'd have to sell it to afford the frontman, so how much would i get for a used one in good shape?
Are coiled cables worth it for a jimi sound?
I just need some opinions about the quality of the Tonelab ST and whether or not this would be a good idea for the sound im trying to achieve.
'The Blues is Easy to Play, but Hard to Feel'
Jimi Hendrix
Stick with the vox IMO. The Fender takes pedals better, but its OD channel is rubbish whereas the vox has lots of usable sounds.

The tonelab, being a multi-fx, may not respond too well to the vox though, but you're gonna hit a more hendrix-ish tone using a SC strat, into the tonelab set to an old marshall setting I guess, into the cleanest setting on the Vox. Not much gain, reasonably central EQ and pick attack gets the Jimi tone..
The Frontman would be a downgrade from your Vox.

If you want a good Jimi Hendrix sound, you should go for a Marshall-type tube amp, for instance the Blackheart Handsome Devil on a budget, as well as a Fuzzface and a wah.

The Tonelab is an OK pedal but ultimately it doesn't sound the best.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Tonelabs are nice, but your VT is basically half a Tonelab already, so going that route makes no sense. Also, how good a modelling processor sounds depends a lot on what amp it's used with and the Frontman's not that great.
Quote by aerosmith513
its all in the fingers

Oh stop with the fingers shit already we've heard it and destroyed that argument a thousand times.

The Tonelab is a sweet pedal, but pointless for your Vox, and you DEFINITELY don't want to downgrade to a Frontman. Save up a little, sell the Vox, and get a Blackheart Little Giant combo. It's about as loud as the Vox and it sounds very similar to a Marshall, which is what Jimi used.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
i like the look and sound of the Little Giant, but it seems quite expensive. plus i take my amp to practices, and im not sure whether or not it would fit in the car, let alone what that darling mother of mine would do if i went down saying i wanted a cab and a head :P its not 100% off the cards, but its not looking likely.

i think im definitely going to go for the Tonelab ST. Its just a case of what i can do with the vox. i know its a good amp, and its awkward with it having the built in effects, so im quite limited to what i can do. If anyone has any alternative ideas for relatively cheap, please let me know! I dont mind having to save up a little, but ideally, i dont want to spend too much. im not exactly rolling in the money at the moment, however i am starting a 'guitar fund', basically just putting so much money aside each month to spend on gear for my guitars.

Another thing: are the coiled cables essential to a hendrix sound?
Jimi Hendrix
Last edited by Rock&RollStar at Sep 18, 2010,
I recommend the Boss ME-25 over the ST. Both are the same price. I had my choice of either one used for $125 and picked the ME. The ST combines Mod and Delay, which is a big shortcoming in that almost all multifx allow both at the same time. Another big advantage of the ME is that it has a phase looper and a freeze function.

The freeze is really a cool effect. It works with the expression pedal. Heel down and play a chord. Then toe forward and the pedal controls the volume of the chord while you solo over it. Heel down to cut the chord, then rinse and repeat to jam as much as you like.

Both units sound good, IMO the ME kicks ST butt feature wise.
Best Hendrix sound I managed was a Crybaby wah pedal into a Proco Rat into a very old 20 watt Gibson Explorer tube amp. Sounded totally sick.
Quote by fly135
The ST combines Mod and Delay, which is a big shortcoming in that almost all multifx allow both at the same time.

yeah, i noticed that :/. another thing that pissed me off a bit was the way you're limitedby the fact that you can only use one pedal effect at a time. maybe im mistaken, but thats how it is with my AD30. Still, i reckon i could compromise.
See for example, Little wing. There's a little lead line so far in that i use the Comp for. however, in the solo, i think i might need the univibe and the fuzz on. it seems like a lot of tinkering pre-song if you get what i mean, but from what ive researched the Tonelab ST makes it easier to do.

cheers for the info, i'll look into comparing the two units
Jimi Hendrix
Running the Tonelab into your Vox would be pretty pointless. Couldn't you just get a footswitch for the amp?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Jeez, if you really want an ST so much... but don't cheap out on the amp. Your sound quality stands and falls with the quality of your amp. The Frontman is not a good amp by any means. Even the cheapish small valve combos like the Epiphone Valve Junior will sound better than the Frontman.
Just set the Vox to the UK 70s amp, not too much drive and with a bit of delay.

You won't get noticeably better results out of the tonelab, and certainly not out of the Frontman (which is a ****ing horrible amp, nowhere near as good as the vox).

Remember that trying to emulate another guitarist's tone and feel too closely is just lame; there's nothing musical about copying someone else wholesale!
Quote by TheQuailman
Jeez, if you really want an ST so much...

theres no need to be like that, its just something i've seen that i thought might improve my sound. i thought with it being quite similar controls to my amp it would be straightforward. im not going to start a thread asking for people's advice when i already have a definite idea in my head. the compromising was just an option.

I just need a multi fx unit thats reasonably priced. it has to runn well through my vox ad30vt, or otherwise im open to suggestions of similarly priced amps that will work well. from the sounds of things, the frontman is completely off the cards. after a quick listen to it, the drive sounds awful.

im still open to suggestions.
Jimi Hendrix
This is the gear you need if you wanna sound like Hendrix.

Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
I'm not sure if it has been answered, but coiled cables don't really matter in getting a Hendrix tone. Your amp is over 9000 times more important than whether or not your cables are coiled or not.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
darkarbiter7 - cheers, i've been waiting for an answer :P

Basically, i'm after an amp:
good cleans
half decent gains,
capable of Bluesy/Hendrix sounds,
works with multi fx
reasonably priced
Jimi Hendrix
well, my budget depends on how much i would get for the vox if i sold it. i could probably stretch for over a hundred quid beyond that.
i'd be willing to buy a used amp so long as its in decent condition, and im in northeast england

EDIT: My amp is still in pretty good condition, there's not a mark on it.
Jimi Hendrix
Last edited by Rock&RollStar at Sep 20, 2010,
Jimi usually achieved his sound with:

- a strat
- a fuzz
- a wah
- a Fender Twin (in the US) or Marshall JTM45/plexi (in the UK)
and in the studio a plate reverb.

Since the only one of those items in your list is the strat, I'm thinking you're not going to be very close. The last thing you need to worry about is cables. The first thing is the amp.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Last edited by Even Bigger D at Sep 20, 2010,
You could look into a Laney LC15. It's an old version of the LC15R - pretty barebone, one channel, no effects, no loop, but it's got nice cleans and will work great with pedals or a modelling processor in front of it. For an authentic Hendrix tone, you'll probably want to use the Tonelab's distortion and have the amp itself set to a clean setting. I bought one of these for 120€ once and if anything they're cheaper in the UK. The newer version will cost a bit more though.

The Laney VC15R is an even better option, as it's built-in distortion is well suited for Hendrix. It's a bit warmer and smoother sounding than the LC. But it's also dearer. Around 200 quid for a used one I guess. Absolutely worth it if you can afford it.

Talking about new stuff, I think the Fame GTA15 should work for you:
http://www.musicstore.de/en_EN/GBP/Fame-GTA-15-R-15-Watt-all-Tube-Combo/art-GIT0007942-000
It's got a Fender-y tone, but you will get a good Hendrix tone with the ST in front of it.

If you'd rather have something with a distinctively British voicing, maybe a Bugera V22:
http://www.musicstore.de/en_EN/GBP/Bugera-V22-Combo-/art-GIT0016277-000

Or a maybe a Laney Cub. The bigger ones are nicer, but if it must, the small one would also suffice:
http://www.musicstore.de/en_EN/GBP/Laney-Cub-8-Combo-/art-GIT0017036-000
http://www.musicstore.de/en_EN/GBP/Laney-Cub-10-Combo-/art-GIT0017037-000
http://www.musicstore.de/en_EN/GBP/Laney-Cub-12-Combo-15-Watt/art-GIT0019398-000
http://www.musicstore.de/en_EN/GBP/Laney-Cub-12R-Combo-15-Watt-Reverb/art-GIT0019399-000

And finally, the Bugera V5 and Epi VJ options if it has to be really cheap:
http://www.musicstore.de/en_EN/GBP/Epiphone-Valve-Junior-Combo-5-Watt-Class-A/art-GIT0008012-000
http://www.musicstore.de/en_EN/GBP/Bugera-V5-Combo-/art-GIT0016276-000

Personally, I'd go for the VC15 out of all of these. With the rest... basically, you get what you pair. Either option should give you what you want, at least when paired up with the Tonelab.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Sep 20, 2010,
there must be some way of getting the right sound without spending too much :/
i'm checking out some other amps, a brand at a time. im currently looking at the fender hot rod deluxe, the Superchamp XD and Vibrochamp XD.

if anyone can reccomend anything specifically, i'll check it out. im just sort of working through the amps within my budget (and my needs) systematically.
Jimi Hendrix
Quote by TheQuailman
You could look into a Laney LC15. It's an old version of the LC15R - pretty barebone, one channel, no effects, no loop, but it's got nice cleans and will work great with pedals or a modelling processor in front of it. For an authentic Hendrix tone, you'll probably want to use the Tonelab's distortion and have the amp itself set to a clean setting. I bought one of these for 120€ once and if anything they're cheaper in the UK. The newer version will cost a bit more though.

The Laney VC15R is an even better option, as it's built-in distortion is well suited for Hendrix. It's a bit warmer and smoother sounding than the LC. But it's also dearer. Around 200 quid for a used one I guess. Absolutely worth it if you can afford it.

Talking about new stuff, I think the Fame GTA15 should work for you:
http://www.musicstore.de/en_EN/GBP/Fame-GTA-15-R-15-Watt-all-Tube-Combo/art-GIT0007942-000
It's got a Fender-y tone, but you will get a good Hendrix tone with the ST in front of it.

If you'd rather have something with a distinctively British voicing, maybe a Bugera V22:
http://www.musicstore.de/en_EN/GBP/Bugera-V22-Combo-/art-GIT0016277-000

Or a maybe a Laney Cub. The bigger ones are nicer, but if it must, the small one would also suffice:
http://www.musicstore.de/en_EN/GBP/Laney-Cub-8-Combo-/art-GIT0017036-000
http://www.musicstore.de/en_EN/GBP/Laney-Cub-10-Combo-/art-GIT0017037-000
http://www.musicstore.de/en_EN/GBP/Laney-Cub-12-Combo-15-Watt/art-GIT0019398-000
http://www.musicstore.de/en_EN/GBP/Laney-Cub-12R-Combo-15-Watt-Reverb/art-GIT0019399-000

And finally, the Bugera V5 and Epi VJ options if it has to be really cheap:
http://www.musicstore.de/en_EN/GBP/Epiphone-Valve-Junior-Combo-5-Watt-Class-A/art-GIT0008012-000
http://www.musicstore.de/en_EN/GBP/Bugera-V5-Combo-/art-GIT0016276-000

Personally, I'd go for the VC15 out of all of these. With the rest... basically, you get what you pair. Either option should give you what you want, at least when paired up with the Tonelab.

Wow, thanks so much for your help
Jimi Hendrix
Quote by darkarbiter7
I'm not sure if it has been answered, but coiled cables don't really matter in getting a Hendrix tone. Your amp is over 9000 times more important than whether or not your cables are coiled or not.
And instead of getting an expensive coiled cable... you could just add a capacitor to your guitar. You could even make it switchable!
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
The problem with trying to emulate your guitar heroes on a budget is that they used thousands of dollars to get their sound. You can't really approach that with any certainty of replication on a few hundred.

With some searching on GC, I present to you

Sort-of Jimi Tone for Under $500

[Blackheart Little Giant Combo

Cheap Ibanez Fuzz

Budget Wah

It will still be kind of different, but it'll get you there way more than your VT will. Couple with Strat or Flying V and kiss the sky.
Quote by Seref
The problem with trying to emulate your guitar heroes on a budget is that they used thousands of dollars to get their sound. You can't really approach that with any certainty of replication on a few hundred.

With some searching on GC, I present to you

Sort-of Jimi Tone for Under $500

[Blackheart Little Giant Combo

Cheap Ibanez Fuzz

Budget Wah

It will still be kind of different, but it'll get you there way more than your VT will. Couple with Strat or Flying V and kiss the sky.
Good advice. You could leave out the wah though, and just make funny faces instead. Nobody will notice.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by Rock&RollStar
darkarbiter7 - cheers, i've been waiting for an answer :P

Basically, i'm after an amp:
good cleans
half decent gains,
capable of Bluesy/Hendrix sounds,
works with multi fx
reasonably priced

Marshall Modern Vintage Combo. It will give you Hendrix sound instantly (assuming you can play like Hendrix)
Quote by Rock&RollStar
Wow, thanks so much for your help

Happy to help. Like others have said, you could probably just do with a good amp, a wah and possibly a fuzz (and imo the fuzz can be left out for now provided the amp you get has nice enough distortion already). Should you decide against the Tonelab, that would mean you could afford a nicer amp, and generally it's best to buy the best amp you can get your hands on and worry about everything else later.

However, if you really need a multi-effects unit or not is up to you. It pays off to just go to a music store and try equipment. It will give you a better idea of what works for you than our suggestions.
Quote by ConfederateAxe
This is the gear you need if you wanna sound like Hendrix.

yeahhh thats good! i dont know if you'll sound like Hendrix, but you will think you are.
Gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio Alpine White.
-Dunlop Crybaby 535q.
-Dunlop Heil Sound Talk Box.
-Keeley Boss Ds-1 with SEM.
-Danelectro Wasabi Overdrive.
-Fulltone OCD v4.
-MXR Carbon Copy.
-Zoom G2.1u.
-Vox AC4tv8.
-Kustom Dart 10.
Quote by Rock&RollStar
there must be some way of getting the right sound without spending too much :/
i'm checking out some other amps, a brand at a time. im currently looking at the fender hot rod deluxe, the Superchamp XD and Vibrochamp XD.
the SCXD will give you a good range of tones even without a multifx. No fuzz though or phase. Plus it works fine with pedals or multifx. I've run both my pedalboard and my me-25 though it.
how much difference would my vox actually make? i mean, if i can avoid spending money on a new amp, i will.
Jimi Hendrix