pardon the wall of text below, i am just offering full specs.

I have been thinking about picking up a new guitar for a while, and i think i have what i want in mind. i need help deciding. i will take recommentations though.

i am looking for this to be able to play blues and blues rock, but i need to be able to solo hard. a pickup swap may be in order.

i want a thicker neck, think Gibson 60's

i am want good sustain

i want it to have a very fast neck for leads.

i have mixed feelings on having the floyd. i would prefer not having it, but it is not a breaking point, as i could replace the block and it would resonate well, and a tremolo never hurts, and i do know how to set them up well.

i will probably change the pickups, but if one guitar's are fitting for a good bluesy tone, i would consider that i plus, as it would save me some $$$.

my impressions.

Carvin: i dont think it has brand name hardware, so i dont know if it is quality. exactly the way i want it. the resale value is bad in comparison to the others. i like stainless steel frets as they last longer. i don' think i will like the stock pickups. i like the tusq nut, comes with a case. i am not sure how the neck joint is for higher fret access.

EVH: it is everything that i want and top quality. quality branded hardware. quality floyd (still not sure if that is a pro of a con). i am not sure how i will like the pickups, but have a good feeling about them. stainless frets which i like. graphite neck reinforcements. good resale value, stunning quiality.

Charvel: would need new pickups for sure, but i am sure i have another guitar that could use the pickups that are in there. relatively plain compared to the other two. asthetically my least favorite. i don't like that there are any tone knobs. this would probably be my last choice.

EBMM: comes with pickups that may be good. i do not like that fact that it comes only in red. if iwanted a tremolo, i could change to the slightly more expensive model with a floyd, and have a choice of a better color. i am not sure if i want 24 frets due to neck pickup placement. i would prefer a 12" radius or compound radius. again, i am not too sure about the look.

NUMBER ONE: CARVIN C-66 $1000

Tune-O-Matic Bridge
Maple Neck/Mahogany Body
Tung Oil Satin on Clear Flamed Maple
Ebony Fingerboard
Stainless Med-Jumbo Frets
2in Fretboard Radius
C22B/C22J Pickups
Chrome Hardware
Ivory Graph Tech TUSQ Nut
Form-Fitted ABS Hardshell Case

NUMBER TWO: EVH Wolfgang Special $1300

1-1/2" basswood back
1/2" flat AA maple top
Quartersawn maple neck
AA bird's-eye maple
25-1/2" scale length
Compound fingerboard radius 12" to 16"
22 vintage-size stainless steel frets
Floyd Rose R2 locking nut, 1.625" (41.2 mm)
Nut width: 1 5/8"
Chrome hardware
EVH-branded Gotoh tuning machines, chrome with pearloid buttons
EVH-branded Floyd Rose locking tremolo
EVH humbuckers (neck and bridge)
3-way pickup toggle switch
2 Bourns low-friction pots (250k/500k)
Made in Japan
Hard mount pickups
Magna Coatings paint
2 graphite neck reinforcement rods
Schaller chrome string retainer
EVH D-Tuna

NUMBER THREE: Charvel San Dimas $1100

Alder body
1-Piece maple neck, bolt-on
Rosewood fretboard
Compound radius 12"-16"
Neck width at nut: 1-11/16"
No. of frets: 22
Bridge pickup: Duncan TB4
Neck pickup: Duncan SH1N
Floyd Rose locking trem bridge
Grover tuners
Black hardware
One volume control knob, knurled
3-position pickup selector toggle
Gig bag included
Made in California

NUMBER FOUR: EBMM Silouette $1330

AlderMusic Man strings-thru-the-body bridge of chrome plated, hardened steel with solid steel saddles
25-1/2"
10" (25.4 cm)
Frets: 24 High profile, medium width
Neck: Maple
Fingerboard: Maple
Neck Finish: Gunstock oil and hand-rubbed special wax blend
Schaller M6-IND locking
Truss rod: Adjustable - no component or string removal
Sculpted neck joint allows smooth access to higher frets
Electronic shielding: Graphite acrylic resin coated body cavity and aluminum lined pickguard
Controls: 250kohm volume and tone - .047µF tone capacitor
Switching: 5-way lever pickup selector
Pickups: HSH - 1 DiMarzio custom single-coil; 2 DiMarzio PAF PRO humbucking
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Sep 16, 2010,
maybe a schecter solo 6(great pickups, thicker gibson neck, but still great for leads)? or c-1 or an ltd ec401?
Quote by mishax92
Thats four.

added one at the last minute.

i am not into schecter for this guitar.

----------------

fixed
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Sep 16, 2010,
My god, shut up with the schecter. And if you can, try and play the guitars, or hell mabe a even any other guitar not on that list, yet i do realize that finding a carvin to play or an EVH would b difficult... but the best way to decide on a guitar is by playing them.

Unless you alreayd have, then ill just feel dumb...
GEAR:
Ibanez Xiphos XPT750
ESP Ltd Viper 400
Egnater Rebel 30 112
Boss GE-7
Line 6 Uber Metal
Boss DD-7
Quote by Stryker125
how about a prs?

i didn't find a new one in my price range that fit my fancy. all there was under $1500 were a couple of Miras.

and i forgot to mention i WILL ONLY BUY NEW on this guitar.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by espplayer400
My god, shut up with the schecter. And if you can, try and play the guitars, or hell mabe a even any other guitar not on that list, yet i do realize that finding a carvin to play or an EVH would b difficult... but the best way to decide on a guitar is by playing them.

Unless you alreayd have, then ill just feel dumb...

if you were directing the schecter comment at me, i have played lots of them and liked a few of them, almost bought one. however, its just not what i am looking for at this time.

i know i wont be able to find that carvin to play, so that is a gamble.

i have played a Peavey EVH signature before and was very impressed, and liked it a lot, and from what everything i have read, they are very similar, and i am sure the neck profile did not change much.

i have played a EBMM, but it was a different model. i remember liking it, but i don't remeber how the neck was.

i will probably be dropping the charvel off of the list unless sombody has something GREAT to convince me.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
bump for the late night crew. the more i think about it, the more for the EBMM or the EVH
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
As an owner of a Contour 66, I can answer a few questions for you.

Stock pickups - I like them. They're like all pickups; For some people they give the edge to the sound that they're looking for, for others they're very poor for the cut. It really depends on what you're looking for. That said though, I have the C22's in my guitar as well, which also has a mahogany body, and I think it'll suit your needs very nicely.

Again, it's always a matter of preference, some people like the low-output, mid-spiked sound of an Alnico Pro II, Some people like the power of an EMG 85, some like the warmth of the AT-1, it's really a taste thing, but as an owner of a Mahogany C66 with a pair of C22's, I think they'll suit you just fine. They're PAF-based, so they'll do your blues perfectly. Harder stuff, Alex Lifeson, Randy Rhoads, Ace Frehley, Slash, Eddie Van Halen(He actually used a lot of hardtails in-studio for rhythms. Most of the guitar parts that don't use the tremolo on Van Halen I were done on a hardtail for the thicker sound), Jimmy Page, most of them aren't umlaut-heavy metal, but they go about where I think you're looking to, and for the most part they used low-mid output humbuckers(Eddie started the single-high-output-bucker craze, but the Frankenstrat's first pickup was actually taken from a 335, fairly contemporary output) in chunks of mahogany, with the exception of Ace Frehley, who used a set of Super Distortions, and I think maybe Randy Rhoads.

And hey, worst-case scenario, you hate them and want to pick up the EVH. You're not ordering any Option 50's(Non-standard options, things that you can't normally get done, things that would make it a hard sell), you can just send it back in ten days and get your money back. If you're swapping them anyway though, for the wood, I think it'd be a winner.

Hardware - There's actually more brand-name available than you think. Graphtech saddles, Sperzel tuners, they make a lot of their own stuff, but they do use some third-party stuff.

Neck joint - I love it. I've got big hands, I've never had a problem with regular bult-on neck joints, but the piece of wood they carved out may be fairly small, but it makes a world of difference.

Neck profile - You say you want a 60's Gibson profile, but you then say you want a fast neck. "Fast" necks are entirely preferential, most people just go faster with thinner, so thinner gets the marketing term, so that's a little self-defeating. That said, except for the Holdsworth, they all use the same profile. Find a used Carvin somewhere around, they pop up all the time, give it a whirl, if it's too thin, ask about the Holdsworth profile over the phone. The standard profile is a weird mix of an old Gibson and an Ibanez - It's fat enough for people like me that like a baseball bat, but it's definitely a thinner, speedier neck.

Resale value - Let me be simple. If you're buying a guitar for resale value, you're buying it for the wrong reason as far as I'm concerned. You should buy it because it sounds and feels great, not because it'll sell for more. Just my two cents though.

Sustain - Two words; Nigel, Tufnel.

If there's anything else you want to know, feel free to ask me since I own a guitar similar to what you're looking at, hopefully I can be a help.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Sep 17, 2010,
yeah out of all of them i could get the charvel with the floyd. they are just really good guitars. even though i'm a huge PRS fan out of those 4 guitars i would get the charvel. if however you really wanted to get a prs you can get a used PRS custom 22 or 24 for the same price as you are getting these new. that's a PRS with a 10 top, great pickups, great hardware, and of course that amazing grade wood they use on all their USA instruments.
Quote by necrosis1193

If there's anything else you want to know, feel free to ask me since I own a guitar similar to what you're looking at, hopefully I can be a help.

i appreciate that very much, and thank you for your long and well thought out post.

quite honestly, the more i think about it, the less solid i am on the carvin... it has pickups i haven't tried, if i upgraded to name brand hardware, the price would be closer to the EVH (which is my current favoite of the four), and the neck profile is a big issue, i have played a Peavey Wolfgang, and i remeber liking the neck, and i am sure the EVH didn't change too much from what i have heard. also if i bought the carvin, the pickups would be worth much to resell, when the EVH pickups fetch fair enough price to put me on the way to the pickups i really want (maybe a BKP, of pay for two BG's).

Quote by ticklemeasian
yeah out of all of them i could get the charvel with the floyd. they are just really good guitars. even though i'm a huge PRS fan out of those 4 guitars i would get the charvel. if however you really wanted to get a prs you can get a used PRS custom 22 or 24 for the same price as you are getting these new. that's a PRS with a 10 top, great pickups, great hardware, and of course that amazing grade wood they use on all their USA instruments.

i am not at all open to buying used to be completely honest. amps i will buy used, but guitars i wont. for some reason i just don't bond with used guitars the way i do with new ones. from a numerical standpoint, i have boughten 5 or 6 used guitars, and only have ever sold 4 guitars, all of them being used, and have another guitar i bought used, that i am trying to sell. the other guitar i bought used, had never been touched, as i peeled the plastic off of, so needless to say i will be fine with that one. i think it is just a compulsive thing with me.

for the charvel love, they are great guitars, but the more i think about it, the less they cover my needs for this paticular purchase. i am sure i will purchase one eventually, just not this time.

and i haven't heard any amazingly persuasive opionion backed up with real emotion or specifications on the Charvel.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Sep 17, 2010,
Fast neck usually is taken as a thin neck(like the other guy said) but I believe it's a few other things as well. A satin finish or no finish at all is usually faster than a glass finish. It's just easier to slide your hand across. Also, a Floyd rose or other style of lower profile bridge usually seems to be faster than a tune o matic to me.

Another thing to consider, when playing leads, if you want a faster solo, be sure to use proper posture and hand position. This will make a world of difference and increase your speed, as well as your agility. And, it makes it possible to play faster on a fatter neck. This way you can get the comfort of a fat neck without really sacrificing speed. Just my advice.
the charvel model you were talking about was reviewed by guitar world and was the pick of the month. actually both models well the so cal and san dimas.
Meh. If you pay $1300 for an MIK Wolfgang you're being ripped off. I'd avoid the Specials. Go with the EBMM, Carvin or Charvel. All are real high quality guitars made in America and are a much better value IMO. If you want a Wolfgang, you gotta go used. The old EBMMs and Peaveys go much cheaper and are a better built guitar.

EDIT:^Magazine reviews literally mean nothing. Everything they review is given a positive review because the companies that make the products featured advertise in the magazine. The only reason they're there is to get n00bs to spend money and give everyone else a couple of pretty pictures. The only one that offers half decent reviews is the ToneQuest report and even that one has been going down hill a bit lately.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Last edited by mmolteratx at Sep 17, 2010,
Quote by ticklemeasian
the charvel model you were talking about was reviewed by guitar world and was the pick of the month. actually both models well the so cal and san dimas.

i don't mean to be a jerk or anything, but that doesn't say a whole lot. reviews in guitar world are about good business. i am not saying that they aren't somewhat true, but when is the last time you have heard a bad one? i am sure its a great guitar, but the features just don't compare, to the others right now.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by mmolteratx
Meh. If you pay $1300 for an MIK Wolfgang you're being ripped off. I'd avoid the Specials. Go with the EBMM, Carvin or Charvel. All are real high quality guitars made in America and are a much better value IMO. If you want a Wolfgang, you gotta go used. The old EBMMs and Peaveys go much cheaper and are a better built guitar.

EDIT:^Magazine reviews literally mean nothing. Everything they review is given a positive review because the companies that make the products featured advertise in the magazine. The only reason they're there is to get n00bs to spend money and give everyone else a couple of pretty pictures. The only one that offers half decent reviews is the ToneQuest report and even that one has been going down hill a bit lately.

the wolfgang is made in Japan. i am more of a fan of MIA, but from my experiance, MIJ is pretty close to being on par with MIA. so that shouldn't make a huge difference.

it sounds really stupid, as i buy most of my amps used, and all of my pedals, but used guitars just don't quite to it for me.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Really? I remember the initial press statement mentioning S. Korea. If it is MIJ, then hell yea, go for it. It's still a bit more than I'd pay for a MIJ guitar that's not a J Custom but you like it and that's what matters.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs