So right now I am playing Ernie Ball 11-48's, and I like to bend ALOT probably too much for my own good. Slash is a very big influence on me(hence the strings). Right now I am unable to play guitar the back of my hand, thumb, and my forearm hurts when i play. Do you think the strings could be doing this? or possibly the way i play? maybe my strap even?

I just really need help with this because i don't want carpal tunnel or tendonitis . I wanna play forever.
yes it is. I'm going to see a hand doctor the 28th. thank goodness i hope it's something that won't bother me. To give anyone else any more info, now that I think about it. when i stand up and play the neck of the the guitar is in that space between my thumb and pointer.
I play 11s on my Taylor T5 and bend as much as you do. No problems here, but each of us is different, so YMMV. It might be how you're positioning your hand/wrist that's causing the problem.
Hanging your strap too low, having to heavy of a string gauge, and improper hand position could all be causes of pain. I'd say start by hiking your strap up a bit and getting your guitar set up for lighter strings. You'd have to be doing some pretty weird stuff with your hand in order for it to actually cause pain though.
well I will try raising my strap up, but what about Slash's strap it's past his waist and never heard of anything bout his hand. I might be pushing to hard with my thumb or something too, any idea how to now do this?
Quote by Danielghero
well I will try raising my strap up, but what about Slash's strap it's past his waist and never heard of anything bout his hand. I might be pushing to hard with my thumb or something too, any idea how to now do this?

Dude, f-ck Slash, everyones different. There are a lot of guitarists that have their guitar straps way too low. It's cooler, though
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by Danielghero

Look at the position in which Slash solos:

He's basically adjusting his entire posture to get his wrist into a much better position for the kind of soloing he does.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
wow that is a an amazing point...cause now that i think about it. it never really hurt until i started playing more higher up on the neck
Quote by Danielghero
wow that is a an amazing point...cause now that i think about it. it never really hurt until i started playing more higher up on the neck

Raise. Your. Guitar. People won't care what you look like as long as you play well and risking your wrists' health is never worth it.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
yea that is very true. i will start doing that to see if it makes a difference once might wrist quits hurting thanks tho. i have never really noticed that about him. i just thought he was getting into the song lol
Next time u go to a concert watch the lead guitarists posture or how they have their guitar angled during something up the neck. When i did lessons a few years back when i was starting I went "i find this hard to do this part of a song im learning, how can i make it easier on my wrists and do it fluently with less trouble"... all he did was angle the guiter differently and said ok now play it again.

Its probably why zakk wylde stands with 1 leg on the moniter and his guitar vertical for 99% of his concert also.

I know with my band that i play bass for we have 1 song where my lead player sweeps up the neck and gets higher and higher... Even to practice we have a milk crate for him to position himself on by throwing a foot up.

And yeah, raise you guitar if its still an issue lol, When i was doing alot of higher technical and fast bass stuff i think i gained the nickname "Harri high bass" for ages... and no my names not harri... it just makes things easier, may look weird but fk them it works
I think 11s are quite difficult to play rock on. I can bend the strings but I lose stamina fast and it's harder to do vibrato after the bend.

10s are a good compromise for me.

People always say that 11s are easy to play on, but for me it's pretty difficult.

I remember reading an interview with Kenny Wayne Shepherd where he said he plays with 11s and that if he misses a day of practice, he's basically wrestling with the strings.
Quote by jogogonne
I think 11s are quite difficult to play rock on. I can bend the strings but I lose stamina fast and it's harder to do vibrato after the bend.

Alex Skolnick plays metal on 13s.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Danielghero - I'm of the opinion that the thicker the string the better the tone. However, thicker strings are definitely harder on the mitts. You have to find a balance of what your hands can deal with. I use 10-52. I love 'em but I have had the occasional problems over the years. I play drums and piano as well and the bottom line is I put my hands through alot. That being said proper technique can make a huge difference. And of course warming up slowly should go without saying. I'm a professional guitar teacher and if you or anyone else reading this is interested I have lots of free videos on my YouTube page on proper technique and some basic do's and don'ts. There is a link to them in my signature below.
I use 10-52s and wish I could go heavier, but i fear for my gat! Is it possible i will do damage moving to say 12-54s and keeping to E tuning? The fatter the strings, the "punchier" the tone!
Quote by Danielghero
So right now I am playing Ernie Ball 11-48's, and I like to bend ALOT probably too much for my own good. Slash is a very big influence on me(hence the strings). Right now I am unable to play guitar the back of my hand, thumb, and my forearm hurts when i play. Do you think the strings could be doing this? or possibly the way i play? maybe my strap even?

I just really need help with this because i don't want carpal tunnel or tendonitis . I wanna play forever.

I'm right there with you. I am a big Slash fan and use the same string gauge as you.

In the beginning my hands hurt quite a bit, especially when I did a lot of bending.

It's a bit like weight training. Your hands aren't strong enough yet, but give it time and PLENTY of rest in between sessions (periods where you don't use your left hand much at all), and they will get stronger.

At the same time, make a point to always relax your fingers, hands and wrists while you play. Always. Chances are you are using more muscles than you really need, and you want to condition your body to be as economical as possible. Here's a simple exercise: http://www.theloneguitaristblog.com/technique-2/building-finger-speed-relaxation/
Quote by Danielghero

I'm just gonna assume that you haven't been playing for too long.
You'll get used to it, I still can't play longer than an hour if I use .13s without hurting, no matter what.

Just downsize to .10s or .9s, I don't find that it makes much of a difference tone wise.

Zakk Wylde also has his guitar strung very low, for his solos, he either pulls his guitar up onto his knee or spreads his legs out very far and leans back to position the guitar better.
Last edited by Nilpferdkoenig at Sep 17, 2010,
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Alex Skolnick plays metal on 13s.

He must play jazz on 47s.
He's a monster, too.
Quote by Caligulus
Danielghero - I'm of the opinion that the thicker the string the better the tone. However, thicker strings are definitely harder on the mitts. You have to find a balance of what your hands can deal with.

Exactly...
11's should be no more difficult than 10's as long as you have developed the strength and stamina to deal with a heavier guage. If you're not there yet (be honest)... then you might want to stick with 10's or even 9's for some time, until you have better command on a heavier string set.

For my 2 cents... string guage does not make much difference to your sound as some people would have you believe, especially in the genre of somebody like slash.

No offense meant, but the worst reason I can think of to use a particular guage is because somebody else uses it.
Quote by hippieboy444
He must play jazz on 47s.
He's a monster, too.

Haha, not quite, he uses 13s because he got so used to playing on hollowbodies with that kind of gauge while playing jazz, apparently he just can't get used to the lighter strings anymore

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
well i'm pretty much used to the strings now, and i like them being that size. I have a johnson that has . 10's on it and i don't like to play it as much as i do the heavier strings..i guess i just like a challenge

Alot of the pain in my wrist and forearm has went away tho, thank god. I played about all day today.