So I've been having a little bit of a time trying to get a decent thrash tone with my Peavey 6505 Plus. It's sad that my little Harmony 4080 solid state amp from 1988 can out do my new Peavey when it comes to thrash tones. When I play, I can't get a sound that really sounds tight or crunchy. Palm muting sounds meh and the articulation isn't that great when on the lead channel. I'm not really sure what to do about it, but I was thinking maybe new tubes? Or maybe a better distortion pedal? Maybe a boost or overdrive instead? I'm new to the world of tube amps, so I'm not sure how to go about this. Suggestions?
6505 + Maxon 808 (or any other 808 clone) seems to be the general consensus around here. I'm sure that would definitely help.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Don't use a distortion pedal.

Maybe an overdrive pedal.

New preamp tubes may not hurt but I doubt that is it either.

Honestly it sounds like you got a dud. I'd return it for a new one.

You should not be having these issues. What are your settings and guitar/pup specifics?
My settings get tweeked a lot, so I don't have anything down yet. Currently the post is on 8, the Highs are on 8, the Mids are on 3, the Lows are on 6, and the distortion is on 5 or 6 usually, though right now it's on 8.

I play a Kaman GTX 23 with a Seymour Duncan in the bridge. What kind I haven't a clue. I'll record some sound clips comparing the 6505 to the Harmony so there's no confusion. I really don't want to go back to Guitar Center and return this thing, cause I've had nothing but trouble since I bought it.
Ok, for thrash, many people don't realise that it's less gain, and more actual volume. I don't know what sort of volume you practice at but I bet it's that high gain because you play quiet. Give it a go, turn the post down to around 5 or 6 and knock the volume up to just loud enough to be an annoyance to others, you'll see what I mean. Also boost the mids more.
Your settings are probably wrong.

Turn the pregain to about 4 and put the post around 3 or 4 As for EQ, start with everything around 5 and tweak from there to hone in on what sounds best.

Also, your Harmony clip sounds awful. No offense but it's just bad. Buzzy, fizzy, harsh, you name it, that's what it sounds like - it's super trebly. The 6505 clip is poorly miced, but it sounds better to my ears (but not really GREAT).

I honestly don't know how you think the Harmony sounds better.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Sep 16, 2010,
Quote by Raijouta
Your settings are probably wrong.

Turn the pregain to about 4 and put the post around 3 or 4 As for EQ, start with everything around 5 and tweak from there to hone in on what sounds best.

Also, your Harmony clip sounds awful. No offense but it's just bad. Buzzy, fizzy, harsh, you name it, that's what it sounds like - it's super trebly. The 6505 clip is poorly miced, but it sounds better to my ears (but not really GREAT).

I honestly don't know how you think the Harmony sounds better.

Really? Huh, I was always impressed by the little thing. I always kinda liked my distortion that way. Then again I grew up with grunge. I guess I always dug that fizzy, harsh distortion because I never personally played anything better. I've demoed some tube amps in the past, but never on a metal level or loudly (The store I went to wouldn't allow it.)
You could crank the presence control on the 6505, I do that as a joke primarly, because it sounds so "metal zone" ish... But i have a 6505+, you'll probably get similar results as me though playing with the presence knob... I always joke to my band that cranked presence and gain = zakk wylde tone...lol
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
^ is there something wrong with Zakk's tone?

I'm with Raijouta. Take some of the settings advice in this thread. Also, I noticed you are running a Metal Muff into the Harmony amp. That explains that. If you like that tone that is fine by me. Does the Harmony amp have it's own distortion too?

As far as the 6505+ there is something wrong with your amp imo. Even poorly set/EQd it should sound better than that. That sounds nothing like the combo I played (realizing it was not mic'd the best either)

Just tell Guitar Center to get you another one and to call you when it comes in. Or take it up there and ask one of the nice associates to play it with their fav guitar and see how it sounds.
I'd say its your scooping of the mids, try bringing down the highs/lows and add some mids. Should give you a crunchier, thrashier tone. Also, gain/volume like Bart said. +1 n shit. Turn down the gain and really hit those strings hard.

I like a solid state power section for thrash especially, even if it is a practice amp?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Less lows = Tighter Sound. Too much lows sound like shit.

Scooped mids are not my favorite for tight sounding music, I just <3 mids, always on 10, treble slightly above 6 and bass 4-2. And then I have a satchurator into my amp, so that's with the tone more 10-11 O'clock.

Start at 5 on everything. Slowly tweak to your tastes.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^ is there something wrong with Zakk's tone?

I'm with Raijouta. Take some of the settings advice in this thread. Also, I noticed you are running a Metal Muff into the Harmony amp. That explains that. If you like that tone that is fine by me. Does the Harmony amp have it's own distortion too?

As far as the 6505+ there is something wrong with your amp imo. Even poorly set/EQd it should sound better than that. That sounds nothing like the combo I played (realizing it was not mic'd the best either)

Just tell Guitar Center to get you another one and to call you when it comes in. Or take it up there and ask one of the nice associates to play it with their fav guitar and see how it sounds.

Man, you ain't understand how totally and completely awful the Tacoma Guitar Center is. It's got the kind of customer service that is legendarily bad. I ain't never seen a review of the place that was above 2 stars. I always seem to get crappy equipment whenever I go there. I may try if they have one in, but man I am too damn poor to keep driving in to town over this stupid amp. Why isn't buying music equipment easy? It's like you always got to make a sacrifice of quality, or selection, or even getting to play it. Some asshole needs to figure out a better system.

Edit: The Harmony has no distortion, no. It's just three knobs, one for volume, one for Tremolo, and one for tone which doubles as the on switch.

Edit 2: As a matter of fact, when I first bought this amp, it was a broken floor model, which they sold me anyways without even mentioning that it sounded nothing like it was supposed to. The dudes are salesmen first, and musicians second. In fact, I doubt more than half of them are actually musicians at all.
Last edited by Anzio at Sep 17, 2010,
I'd forget about the specifics of you local GC and focus on your warranty and getting in touch with someone higher up at GC. I think these stores are set up Regionally so if you can find a Regional Manager or the local Manager's boss then maybe you can get some attention WITHOUT talking bad about your local store.

You could try swapping some of the preamp tubes around. Can you try some of the setting suggestions and then re-record with the best clip you can make of that thing?

k koo
Quote by Anzio

Edit 2: As a matter of fact, when I first bought this amp, it was a broken floor model, which they sold me anyways without even mentioning that it sounded nothing like it was supposed to. The dudes are salesmen first, and musicians second. In fact, I doubt more than half of them are actually musicians at all.

Then this thread is kind of pointless, isn't it? If you knew it was broken, why the hell did you get it? Don't you know what you're buying/what the amp you're buying is supposed to sound like?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Go rhythm channel with crunch engaged:
Pre-8
Low-7
Mid-5
High-6
Reso:7
Pres:6
^
Sounds to me (on my 5150) like a kick-ass thrash tone with those settings.
Or return your amp and buy a non-broken one?
Ibanez RGR421EXFM >> Maxon OD808 >> BOSS NS-2 >> Peavey 5150 212
Whoa, that 5150 sounds awful. I've never heard anything so bad in my life, I don't think that any amount of poor knob tweeking can produce that sound, it must be broken or maybe it is just an unusually bad recording. Well, if you find out the amp isn't broken, then you just need the standard pedals that will turn any high gain tube amp into a crunchy thrash master. EQ pedal in the loop, OD pedal in front of the amp. Everyone swears by the expensive maxon pedals (i have one too) but my favorite OD for thrash is the boss sd-1, I think you'll like it too if you like that metal muff.
Peavey XXX 40efx
Schecter C1+ (sd 59bA4 neck/sd Custom8 Bridge)
Washburn Idol WI45(AirNorton/CrunchLab)

ESP/LTD Viper 300(EMG81b,89n)
Boss SD-1, Crybaby, MXR 6-band EQ,
Digitech DL-8 Delay Looper, SupaCharga
It's broken.

and....he bought it knowing it was broken.

Like I said check out what warranty if any you have and what their return policy is. Sometimes you only get 12-15 days for full return/30 for in-store credit. If you bought it out of their Used Gear inventory then it may be 'buy as is' no return
Quote by Offworld92
Then this thread is kind of pointless, isn't it? If you knew it was broken, why the hell did you get it? Don't you know what you're buying/what the amp you're buying is supposed to sound like?

I worded this wrong. I bought a Peavey 6505 at the store and it was broken, but I didn't realize it til I got it home. I took it back and got it replaced a few days later with the one I have now, which I demoed and found to not be broken, or as broken, as it sounded perfectly alright to me. Of course, when it comes to making large purchases such as this, I become irrationally impatient, which is why I'm hesitant to even return it due to the process I've already been through and don't wish to continue with.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
so.....that is the sound of your new 6505?

can you retweak setting and try to get a better clip?

have you swapped some of the preampt tubes around?

Yeah, it was a brand new amp that had never been played. Got shipped to my house from the Seattle store and had not been altered in any fashion (IE, Not Set up, tubes not biased, etc).

Yeah, I can give it another shot.

I have not, as I am not sure how to go about it.
Last edited by Anzio at Sep 17, 2010,
Alright, so here's the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzl97HAh-FU

I decided to show off a few of the other things it does to contrast how the distortion doesn't sound right. Maybe I'm tone deaf, or maybe I'm just so unfamiliar with tube amps that I don't know good from bad, but when it comes to the cleans and my fuzz, it sounds very decent.

In the video, I first demo it clean, then with fuzz, then with distortion on the Rhythm channel, and lastly distortion on the Lead channel. I would like to note that my mic is pretty far away from the amp for the rhythm and lead clips, because it clipped terribly at any less distance.

Sorry for the double post.
Okay, pardon me if I missed anything beyond the original post, but the very first thing that screamed WRONG to me was you have your POST up to 8. Your post should be used as your overall volume, with your PRE being used to control your gain. Dial your Post WAYYY back, and put your Pre up. After that, if it's still not at least in the ballpark, then yes you have a bad apple.

If your tubes are all good, my next bet would be a bad potentiometer. Pots can be damaged in transit, or they can just be bad right off the assembly. In any case, time to exercise that Warranty.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
Last edited by ConfederateAxe at Sep 17, 2010,
Check to make sure all the tubes are firmly in their sockets.

That was one of the most horrible sounds from an amp I have heard! That is NOT how it should sound!

Either take it back, or get it working right.

Once it's working right, This is a REALLY good place to start:
Quote by DroptuneD
Go rhythm channel with crunch engaged:
Pre-8
Low-7
Mid-5
High-6
Reso:7
Pres:6
^
Sounds to me (on my 5150) like a kick-ass thrash tone with those settings.
Or return your amp and buy a non-broken one?

I run a very similar setting on my 6262...which is a very similar amp...toss a little clean boost in there if you want a little more chug from time to time. (but my gain or "pre" is on 6)
On the lead channel, I have found almost ZERO use for an OD or clean boost...but the crunch channel loves it....My fav is a BBE Boosta Grande.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
Last edited by Vinson at Sep 18, 2010,
Quote by Anzio
Alright, so here's the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzl97HAh-FU

I decided to show off a few of the other things it does to contrast how the distortion doesn't sound right. Maybe I'm tone deaf, or maybe I'm just so unfamiliar with tube amps that I don't know good from bad, but when it comes to the cleans and my fuzz, it sounds very decent.

In the video, I first demo it clean, then with fuzz, then with distortion on the Rhythm channel, and lastly distortion on the Lead channel. I would like to note that my mic is pretty far away from the amp for the rhythm and lead clips, because it clipped terribly at any less distance.

Sorry for the double post.

Yeah. There is something wrong with your amp. That is not normal, even if the settings, recording method and playing ability were completely ****ed up it wouldn't sound that bad.

So either take it back, get it fixed or quit trolling. You are not trolling us are you?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Yeah. There is something wrong with your amp. That is not normal, even if the settings, recording method and playing ability were completely ****ed up it wouldn't sound that bad.

So either take it back, get it fixed or quit trolling. You are not trolling us are you?

I do not believe I am trolling you. I may complain a lot, but I just wanted to get some help with this. I suppose I'll find the receipt and take it back soon and try to get another one. Should I consider getting a different amp or should I just keep replacing my 6505 until I get one that works?
Last edited by Anzio at Sep 18, 2010,