I was thinking of getting an EQ pedal for my guitar. I play a epi LP EMG 81/85 through a Peavey Vypyr. Just cant quite seem to get the "beef" or "punch" I want. Everything seems to sound a bit flat.
I love the new BLS record Zakks tone is great on that record. Im not a great player by any means I just wonder if an EQ will help> Any thoughts or reccommend any?
Quote by shotclock
I was thinking of getting an EQ pedal for my guitar. I play a epi LP EMG 81/85 through a Peavey Vypyr. Just cant quite seem to get the "beef" or "punch" I want. Everything seems to sound a bit flat.
I love the new BLS record Zakks tone is great on that record. Im not a great player by any means I just wonder if an EQ will help> Any thoughts or reccommend any?

I am currently selling my MXR 10 Band EQ which trust me it is good. I'm not just intentionally trying to sell it everybody will tell you to get it because its the best mainstream EQ that is widely available.

link:https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=25094364#post25094364
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
My Boss GE-7 definitely gives me more of a punch. I never turn it off, or everything sounds flat and terrible.

^Never used MXR's eq, but I have their Smart Gate, and I must say they make damn good pedals if the rest are anything like that one.
Quote by Duane_Allman
Your gayer than me, and thats pretty gay.
Quote by Twist of fate
If there's blood on the field, play ball.
[center]
The
e|--3---0---0--|
B|--0---1---0--|
G|--0---2---1--|
D|--0---2---2--|
A|--2---0---2--|
E|--3---x---0--|
You just lost.[/CENTER]
Agreed on the 10-band. It's great. Also makes a good boost pedal.

But your lack of punch probably comes from the Vyper. Zakk uses a big tube amp, with the preamp set to moderate overdrive, and an overdrive pedal in front of it. He and Yngwie both have 'signature' overdrive pedals, but they're both basically a stock DOD overdrive pedal with only a few resistors changed out. The important part of the sound is putting that guy in front of a tube amp that is already breaking up a little; it's the sonic equivalent of kicking a guy that is already down.

Your Vyper doesn't have tubes to break up. No matter how hard you kick it, it's physically impossible to sound exactly the same. Since the guy's not on the ground, you can't kick him the same way. Just won't happen.

I recommend a good tube amp. If you use a lot of the settings on the Vyper, get a basic tube amp and a multieffects processor for now. If you only use a few, buy an amp and a couple pedals that do just those things. If you want the cheapest and easiest possible solution, buy that guy's EQ pedal.

Also, look into Officially Lisenced Circuits, www.olcircuits.com. They make a pedal based off the preamp stage of a Soldano SLO-100. I have one, and I have to say that it's pretty damn convincing.
Which Vypyr is it? If it's the 15, you're never going to get the 'oomph' and punch you want out of an 8 inch speaker.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
Which Vypyr is it? If it's the 15, you're never going to get the 'oomph' and punch you want out of an 8 inch speaker.

I also have an MXR 10 band. Awesome for making a wide variety of different sounds. Should be the first pedal a guitarist owns. IMHO.
I own a 75 watt vypyr. I need a headphone jack or I would so be looking at the Marshall haze. I will look into those EQ"S
MXR 6 does everything I need it to do and it is cheaper and smaller, no need for a 10 band unless you are really really picky about frequencies. I don't think that pedals work very well with vypyrs, I've tried eq, overdrvie, etc. it just ends up more muddy. The vypyr has every tone you need programmed in, you can't improve it with pedals imo. A tube amp however can be tremendously improved with pedals such as eq and overdrive.
Peavey XXX 40efx
Schecter C1+ (sd 59bA4 neck/sd Custom8 Bridge)
Washburn Idol WI45(AirNorton/CrunchLab)

ESP/LTD Viper 300(EMG81b,89n)
Boss SD-1, Crybaby, MXR 6-band EQ,
Digitech DL-8 Delay Looper, SupaCharga
I just don't know how to improve the sound. I have active EMG's in one guitar and blackouts in the other. But I just can't find a tone that sounds clear with a decent crunch. My favorite tones are "cat scratch fever"Ted Nugent , "a tout la monde" megadeth, "No more tears" album ozzy and "order of the black". BLS. Everything sound way too distorted with the high gain amps. With the gain lower, it just sounds like too twangy.
Maybe I just need to learn a better teqnique.