Got my new Mark V today. I've owned both the MKIII Blue Stripe and Mark IV, and this one carries on a lot of those core tones and adds a lot of others. I've mainly only messed around with channel 3. I will say the clean channel in both clean/fat modes sounds really good. Channel 2 is much better than than R2 on the Mark IV, but still not a Marshall JCM800 2203 substitute.

Okay, channel 3 MKIIC+ mode sounds very good, I've not played a MKIIC+ in many, many years, but it sounds in the ballpark to me. Metallica for sure. Think MOP & Black Album. the MKIV mode is may favorite mode on channel 3 so far. It's very tight, articulate, with a very fast attack... very similar to my old MKIV. Lots of cut, mids, and plenty bright. The Extreme mode is darker, thicker sounding with a bit more sag than MKIV. It's warmer, and has a slower attack. Kinda of like switching from Lead I to Lead II on the Engl SE for those that have played them. I really didn't dig the preset EQ knobs much yet, I definitely prefer the graphic EQ. I been keeping channel 3 in pentode/Si Diode/Graphic EQ on in the classic V shape. The fx loop is really good. Very transparent and it adds little to no coloration depending the fx. The fan is quiet, much quieter than on my MKIV. Which is good, cause this little sucker gets hot.

Overall fit-n-finish is top notch. It's really a well built amp. I really like the footswitch layout. Also mine had ZERO popping noise when switching channels, which is a rarity for Mesa. I winz! It's a great amp, no question. I will say though that the tone is very "old school" and for someone like me who is used to playing Engls and Diezels etc. that level of saturation, over the top gain, and chugga-chugga chest blasting bass won't be found here. I have a feeling some may expect those sort of modern tones from this amp, and therefore get disappointed when they don't find them. Still a great amp for a ton of great tones.
very nice set up.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
awesome rig. HNAD!
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Congrats on the new amp. Mesa makes a decent product. I own the Mesa Lonestar, which had a huge popping problem when switching channels. Then, the phase inverter tube went bad. Replaced it with a spare and the popping problem went away. HNAD!
If you cranked every amp in that rig, I would more than likely jizz in my pants.
I'm extremely jealous of all of your amps.

HNAD!
Amps
Randall RG50TC, Roland Cube 15x

Guitar
LTD MH-100QM, Washburn X12

Effects and Etc.
Ibanez Weeping Demon, Boss FV-500H, Ibanez TS7, Ibanez PH7, dbx 31-band EQ, ISP Decimator
Thanks everyone.

Quote by TheFunkyAvocado
how does it compare to the savage?

Ummm.... The Savage is more saturated, more modern sounding, with a more agressive upper mid-tone to it. I mainly only use the Savage's Lead mode (4th mode). The Mark V is more versatile, for clean and crunch tones. The best recorded Savage 120 tone is Hammerfall Legacy of Kings IMHO. That album will give you a very good idea of the Savage 120s tone.
awesome buy. that's an ungodly amount of scoop going on there haha, i wouldn't dare go that far with my IV. does the V have a knob controlling how much GEQ goes into the mix?
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
Quote by LolCatGuitar
Why, does a man who scoops his mids gets a mark V

Because Marks have mids out the ass, and even with the GEQ in the V it isn't particularly scooped sounding.
It also depends on what guitar and speakers you're using too. I run my mids higher because I have a Dimarzio Steve's Special in my JPM, which is fairly scooped, and I use an EV12M speaker, which doesn't have a big mid hump like a V30 does.
Last edited by littlephil at Sep 17, 2010,
Quote by LolCatGuitar

Most people with Mark V's scoop the shit out of the mids....

That's a pic from John Petrucci's settings.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Quote by LolCatGuitar

It's not fair...

HNAD!!!
And you and your other boogies, so envious...

Marks are super duper middy, bro.

Metallica, for Master of Puppets, ran their Marks with the V shape as well as took more mids out with a parametric EQ to get their 'scooped' sound. That's how middy a Mark is.

HNAD OP.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by wyldeshredder
awesome buy. that's an ungodly amount of scoop going on there haha, i wouldn't dare go that far with my IV. does the V have a knob controlling how much GEQ goes into the mix?

No. It's all or none. Although the graphic eq is footswitchable now. I like it on all the time on channel 3, but off or on depending for channels 1/2.

Quote by Raijouta
Marks are super duper middy, bro.

Metallica, for Master of Puppets, ran their Marks with the V shape as well as took more mids out with a parametric EQ to get their 'scooped' sound. That's how middy a Mark is.

HNAD OP.

This + 100000000000000000000. They are super mid-focused amps. Tons of mids. Nothing like the scooped Recto sound many are used to. As a matter of fact I've been looking for one of those old parametric eqs James & Kirk used, but never see them up for sale. The Mark V doesn't get lost in the mix and still cuts thru just fine, despite the reduced mid settings. Nothing wrong with scooped mids for metal... if done properly.
I have those same shelves... You got those from Lowes

HNAD
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
HNAD! A Mark V is probably the next thing on my list
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab