Hey guys, coming here to do my friend a favor.

Hes been playing acoustic guitar for a while and hes been saving money and he's decided he wants to start playing electric.

Hes big into Alice In Chains, but also like bands like Rush, Coheed, The White Stripes, Bad Religion and such as well. He likes heavy stuff but also likes softer stuff as well.

He has about a $500 combined (amp and guitar) budget and I think Ive convinced him to go used. However he can't use craigslist because his parents don't want him to, so I figured going used from GC would be a good idea because they have some pretty sweet deals.

Im thinking that a good fit for him would be a MIM HSS Strat with a Vypyr 30W.

What do you guys think?

Im not too familiar with those bands and what they play, so help is appreciated!

Thanks!
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Last edited by diceksox1809 at Sep 16, 2010,
your head is in the right place, but I would suggest going with an agile/vypyr 15W instead as the 15W is cheaper and has enough power(unless he plans to gig, that's another story) for example try the agile al-3100, they are great guitars you should check them out. The problem with the HSS MIM strat is that the pickups might have a weak output for the heavier stuff he might want. Also could I ask where your located?
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
The agile thought crossed my mind as well, as did the 15W version. I am liking the 15W version a bit more, but I feel a Strat may be a better fit? Maybe its just me

And Im in NH, closest major city is Boston
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by diceksox1809
The agile thought crossed my mind as well, as did the 15W version. I am liking the 15W version a bit more, but I feel a Strat may be a better fit? Maybe its just me

And Im in NH, closest major city is Boston

well if you're in the U.S, I would push for Agile even more. These guitars give more bang for the buck and while the HSS is great for the music you stated, it's just the humbucker might not be the best for metal. Either way you'd still be making a good selection. Best of luck man

edit: also try to go on eBay, most of the GC's will smell the new off your friend and try to sell him something you might not want. You could get great deals there and you are always protected by paypal if things don't go right.
Quote by EndTheRapture51

Quote by EndThecRinge51

Last edited by megano28 at Sep 16, 2010,
My vote is for a Vypyr 15 with a MIM HSS Strat. Your friend would be super happy going from acoustic to electric with a setup like that.
Agile Interceptor Pro 725 EB EMG
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
Quote by megano28
well if you're in the U.S, I would push for Agile even more. These guitars give more bang for the buck and while the HSS is great for the music you stated, it's just the humbucker might not be the best for metal. Either way you'd still be making a good selection. Best of luck man

edit: also try to go on eBay, most of the GC's will smell the new off your friend and try to sell him something you might not want. You could get great deals there and you are always protected by paypal if things don't go right.

Well with the Strat I like having the versatility of two singles and then the humbucker, where with the LP I would just have two humbuckers.

And Im not sure if you've looked at the GC used section, but you can get MIM Strats for $225. Much better than Ebay. Plus you would get to play them first.
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by diceksox1809
Well with the Strat I like having the versatility of two singles and then the humbucker, where with the LP I would just have two humbuckers.

And Im not sure if you've looked at the GC used section, but you can get MIM Strats for $225. Much better than Ebay. Plus you would get to play them first.

true, that's why it's a contender, but your friend might not need that versatility idk...whatever floats your boat

and by the way with patience you can get better deals than that on ebay. I looked a while ago and you could find more than one result that sold for around your amount...and no offense but your pricing doesn't really impress me as I found my Ibanez rgt42dx on ebay for $250, the thing was pristine and it is my main axe now.
I also bought my dual rectifier there and if I felt like it I could sell it with a 400 profit minimum.
Quote by EndTheRapture51

Quote by EndThecRinge51

$225 for a Mexican Strat? Thats a great deal.

Your crazy man
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by diceksox1809
$225 for a Mexican Strat? Thats a great deal.

Your crazy man

that wasn't my point, I was just trying to say it's a good deal, but ebay could get you a steal if you look for it, don't rule it out all together
Quote by EndTheRapture51

Quote by EndThecRinge51

^ Good idea.

On the Boston used gear page I see a cheap Ibanez, a Squier Tele and an Epiphone LP. Those along with a MIM HSS strat would give him a good variety of guitar types to try out. Always go for what feels best not looks the best or has the best brand name etc.

http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/index.cfm?page=1&location=550&sort=0&dir=desc

As far amps I see a used Bugera V22 for $250 I think and a Mesa .50 Cal head for $600. Both would give him a great idea on some range of tones and what is available for some more cash. Seriously, on the amp he should get a SuperChamp or as much Vypyr as he can afford.

Honestly, I'd tell him to save up.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Sep 17, 2010,
Well with the spending big bucks, you never know what will happen with his dedication. Thats why I want him to buy used so incase he dosen't want to continue playing he can just resell them and hardly loose money.

And im sure he dosent want to spend a grand on his first electric and amp
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
The Vypyr 30 and HSS Strat is a great idea. I wouldn't bother with the Vypyr 15 at a 500 budget, the bigger speaker in the 30 improves the sound a lot.

I'd also take a guitar with HSS configuration over an HH-Agile, just for the sake of versatility. It's nice to have options and your friend will undoubtedly want to mess around with different styles at some point or another.

The Super Champ XD is also a great idea. Go for it if you find one used.
I don't agree that the HSS Strat wouldn't be too good for metal. It can do the job well enough, as far as I'm concerned, so I would definitely recommend that for its versatility as Quail says.