I need to get something worked out on my strumming technique. I play fingerstyle, have a fiver, my problem is my pickup is too high to rest my thumb on it, and play the A string at the same time, so normally I just rest my thumb on the low B (as I literally never use it) however when playing anything requiring faster strumming, occasionally I'll get some nasty clacking sounds. I was learning a song tonight and narrowed the problem down to the B-string striking either the first or third fret every so often. Is there any remedy to this situation? I was thinking of maybe tuning the B-string up significantly, as its quite loose, and I thought the extra tautness might help. But should I possible look into getting the action raised? Is something simply wrong with my technique?

Thanks in advance
so when you play the A the B(read: thumb rest) makes a clacking sound? can you hear it through your amp? and are you sure its not an overly aggressive fingerstyle causing the noise on the plucked string.
no sir away a papaya war is on
The noise definitely is coming from the B-string. I cannot hear it through my amp, so I'm sure noone else could in a live situation, but I'd like to fix it somehow. And the problem is generally only when playing on the A string and resting my thumb on the B. That's why I assumed the clacking was caused by the natural looseness that the B has. Sorry if I'm not too clear :/
What you are experiencing is the annoying phenomenon known to bassists as fret slap. Your strings slap against the frets. The major cause of this is when the neck is too straight. A quarter or half turn of the truss rod nut to put a little more dip into the curve can work wonders with this problem. Give it a try.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
What you are experiencing is the annoying phenomenon known to bassists as fret slap. Your strings slap against the frets. The major cause of this is when the neck is too straight. A quarter or half turn of the truss rod nut to put a little more dip into the curve can work wonders with this problem. Give it a try.

Sighhh, ok, noob question. I know what the truss rod does essentially. But where is it? And turn in what direction? I'll be sure to try it out tonight. Thanks