This is an inside vs. outside picking kinda question I guess. I started learning No Boundaries and the first alternate picking part is slightly easier inside picked then out. Could it be just because I practice it more like that? Even though I've heard inside picking is supposed to be harder Idk it seems to be a little easier, at least for that section. Now before you say whatever is more comfortable for me. I want to hear if there actually is any proof that either is better worse or the same.
"Could everyone please stop sounding like everyone else that's trying to sound like meshuggah?"

-Emil Werstler

Quote by damian_91
Kurt Cobain, the best guitarist to ever live.

there's no better or worse for this, really - which ever way you can play it better is the best way. whoever's listening to you couldn't care less. however, now you know that you need to work on your outside picking, as they're both important if you want to play technical stuff.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
While I was doing research on String skipping, I came across a video of Paul Gilbert talking about how outside picking is a good habit to get into, if you ever want to string skip well, because it makes it much more dificult to accidentally hit the string, or strings, between the two you are workig with. but besides that it really is a matter of preference, I mean it is totally possible to be able to string skip with inside pciking as well, it's just what Paul Gilbert recommends....
Play it however is most comfortable for you. But I think you should practice it both ways. Make sure you can alternate pick in any situation. You're not always gong to have the comfort of choosing. You should eventually get to a point where you can pick comfortably regardless of how you're picking.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by brandon2784
I want to hear if there actually is any proof that either is better worse or the same.

I have no proof but they are the same. The whole advantage of alternate picking is to be able to pick steady and clean, without any thought as to what the next stroke is supposed to be.

As soon as you start even thinking that you have to inside pick at a certain point for any reason, then you are no longer employing the strict alt pick approach, because you are putting your mind into your pick strokes.

Alt picking by nature is not always the most economical pattern, sometimes it is. This is only coincidental. Good alternate pickers are able to keep the up/down pattern regardless of whatever note or string sequence comes next.

Point being you don't always get to choose to pick something inside or outside, it's determined by the previous stroke. So I would get very comfortable with both if I were you.

Not for the song you mention... but for strong alt picking skills for years to come. Good luck.
You should learn to do both with equal proficiency.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
I've been playing for about 9 years now, and for the first 3 i used to inside pick and it seems easier at first when you are starting to switch over to the correct way, (yes there is a correct way) only because you are more used to it, but in the long run switching will make your solos sound smoother and increase your speed if you: strictly alternate pick up, down, up, down, etc with the only decisions being whether to start with an up or down stroke on the beginning of a lick or solo section based on which will feel smoother to play. usually i almost always start with a down stroke, especially if i am moving quickly from one part of the neck to the other because I feel more control and can produce a stronger attack to start the next lick. the only real exception is when there is a succession of strings with only a single note being played on them, in which case I sweep through them or at least use the same direction of picking and then get back to alternate picking.

I played piano for 8 years before playing guitar and form was much better taught since it has been around longer and had all those 1700s/1800s era people to work things out ie which fingers to use where in specific songs, dynamics, posture, etc. so I was surprised switching to guitar where the teaching is well....so bad. it is so unregulated comparatively on form and everything. even tablature is often wrong and not written by the original artist. but back to the point, having a disciplined form is the best and only way to become a good player and all the "play what's comfortable" people miss the ball on how to progress and undermine the learning of the instrument. you will eventually get to the point where you do not need to worry about your right hand because it will be intuitive and all you will need to look at/ concentrate on is your left hand.
^ There is no right or wrong way. There are more and less efficient ways, but right and wrong basically have no place when you're talking about technique.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by RhoadsDimeRIP
What the heck is inside and outside picking?

Inside picking is when your pick travels between two strings on the inside to pick, like say picking down on the high E and then up on the B.

Outside is the opposite, your pick travels around the outside of the strings to get the notes like the standard Paul Gilbert picking lick, using the above example it would be up on the high E and then down on the B.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by RhoadsDimeRIP
Whats this guy doing mostly? www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOuTxAFKaUk

1 - Don't double post, there's an edit button for a reason

2 - He's using each as the situation requires, you'll come across both all the time if you stick to strict alternate picking.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Oct 5, 2010,