All of these amps in combo form I have seen mainly come in the single speaker, 85 watts(?) configuration. I'm sure there have been variations of this design, but it had me intrigued as to why such a high wattage amp would only run on one speaker.

I probably would not have asked if not for Bugera's upcoming Mark clone which has the same one speaker 85 watt configuration. Is there any benefit to this or is Bugera really that shameless?
I don't see how Bugera comes into the question. 112 combos are just easier to transport. 85 watts means you have lots of headroom. Therefore speaker makers will make whatever. I have an 80 watt speaker and Celestion's (and others) 100 watt speakers are very popular. Maybe I'm missing the question.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I don't see how Bugera comes into the question. 112 combos are just easier to transport. 85 watts means you have lots of headroom. Therefore speaker makers will make whatever. I have an 80 watt speaker and Celestion's (and others) 100 watt speakers are very popular. Maybe I'm missing the question.

From what I understand a speaker's wattage handling needs to be significantly higher than the output of an amp. Which would put the necessary wattage handling of the speaker over the amount most popular speakers have. Maybe that's just a myth on this site but thats what I keep hearing.

And most people i see playing these amps have it for brootalz so I guess I don't understand why they don't configure the combo to be able to run V30s or whatever. Maybe the speaker is part of the signature sound, I really have no idea that's the reason I was asking
I see I think.

Well a Vintage 30 is only 60 watts so 1 of them will not work in a 85w amp. The way speakers AND amps get classified into their respective Wattage class vs what it really can do is what I think you are referring to. It is nutty for all of us so no worries. But yes, you generally want more speaker wattage than amp's output.

Edit: I don't think it has to be 'significantly' higher just matched or higher. Too high and your speakers will never get a chance to break up so you'll miss out on what they are designed to do in addition to amplifying or thumping out sound waves.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Sep 17, 2010,
They come with Celestion/Black Shadow C90's, which I've heard is similar to the Vintage 30, but its 90 watts. They aren't that high wattage speakers because the amps rarely need to be turned up, they are incredibly loud (Mine is almost too loud to sit in front of with the master on 2, and the lead channel volume on 5)

They dont all have the C90 though, mine has an EV12M, which is a 200 watt speaker (Its MASSIVE!)
Last edited by littlephil at Sep 17, 2010,