my father recently bought a really nice crafter semiacoustic. He then proceeded to "restore and feed" the wood by putting this oil based stuff on. Its kinda like a furnature polish. he put it on the whole guitar.

The guitar looks much better but the tone is flat and the bass strings sound crap.

Is this likely to be the strings? (a lot of oil got on the strings but i wiped as much as i could off)

Or is it likely to be the top? I heard that if you oil the top it can kill the tone.

I'm so pissed off because i really liked jamming on that guitar but now my no name brand, shitty camping guitar sounds better... I asked him not to do it
I'll be the first to admit that I'm not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to guitar finishes, but, I have to ask. What kind of finish is on the top piece of the guitar? I'm having trouble understanding why somebody would treat anything other than a fretboard with oil. Or why a finished piece of wood would take oil in.

Do you have any pictures of it that you could post?
XBOX LIVE Gamertag: Jazz Funeral
Currently killing with The Nunts crew in Max Payne 3

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
was it a used guitar?

even so, you shouldn't put oil on it as even guitars that aren't shiny have a finish, and if it looks better after the oil was used, i'm guessing it had a satin finish which isn't supposed to be shiny. if the finish was organic, oil can damage it - sweat and skin oils can also damage organic finishes. and once it's damaged, the oil can get into the wood, which is what you don't want. oil can be good for furniture, but not guitars.
Quote by vodkanoodle
my father recently bought a really nice crafter semiacoustic. He then proceeded to "restore and feed" the wood by putting this oil based stuff on. Its kinda like a furnature polish. he put it on the whole guitar.

The guitar looks much better but the tone is flat and the bass strings sound crap.

Is this likely to be the strings? (a lot of oil got on the strings but i wiped as much as i could off)

Or is it likely to be the top? I heard that if you oil the top it can kill the tone.

I'm so pissed off because i really liked jamming on that guitar but now my no name brand, shitty camping guitar sounds better... I asked him not to do it

Try a new set of strings and see what happens. There's no turning back now if the wood of the guitar body has soaked up whatever it was that your father used on it.
If the finish of the body protected the wood from the oil based stuff, then a new set of strings might be all it needs. No harm no foul in trying either way.