Hi
I'm converting from guitar and recently bought the Ibanez SR300 DX.

The band I play in are using a Yamaha 8 track mixer (MG 10/2 I think) and was wondering what I needed to do to connect it to the Ibanez.

I've read some opinions which say that I will/wont need a DI.

Cost is important at the moment(wife is not amused at the new acquisition).

Do I really need the DI?

Thanks
Quote by RichieH
Hi
I'm converting from guitar and recently bought the Ibanez SR300 DX.

The band I play in are using a Yamaha 8 track mixer (MG 10/2 I think) and was wondering what I needed to do to connect it to the Ibanez.

I've read some opinions which say that I will/wont need a DI.

Cost is important at the moment(wife is not amused at the new acquisition).

Do I really need the DI?

Thanks

First of all I'm going to presume you have a bass amp already; the majority of the time running through an amp is far better than DIing (obviously the best is to use both if possible).

If you've already acquired an amp, then I would say that getting a DI is very useful. You face certain issues with impedance if you just plug your instrument straight into a desk without using a DI, ultimately resulting in a loss of dynamics and sometimes also a limited frequency response.

It won't sound awful without one, but you won't get the true characteristics of your sound, and you'd notice a big difference if you were to purchase a DI box. It's not the end of the world to play without one for a while though.
Either the DI out from your amp (if it has one) or a DI box. Without one, the level will be far too low.
Hi guys,
Thanks for your feedback.

I don't have an amp yet as I didn't want spend money on something and then need to buy something else.. as I say money will be short till next pay day.

Sorry to be dumb, would is be possible to run the bass into the mixer and then into something else (headphones, separate speaker) for a few weeks whilst I get the feel of how to play, and then buy an amp with DI when I leave the comfort of my living room?

The mixer is fine with the preamped accoustics, but I guess they're generate more noise anyway.
Quote by RichieH
Hi guys,
Thanks for your feedback.

I don't have an amp yet as I didn't want spend money on something and then need to buy something else.. as I say money will be short till next pay day.

Sorry to be dumb, would is be possible to run the bass into the mixer and then into something else (headphones, separate speaker) for a few weeks whilst I get the feel of how to play, and then buy an amp with DI when I leave the comfort of my living room?

The mixer is fine with the preamped accoustics, but I guess they're generate more noise anyway.

If your mixer doesn't have a pre-amp onboard you're definitely going to need to obtain a DI box before you'll be able to run into it and get any sort of result.
Quote by RichieH
Understood, I thought the Active Pickups worked as a preamp

Technically I don't think they do, although I use passive basses myself so I don't have any direct experience with that.
Get the Sansamp Para Driver DI. The Bass Driver seems to be more well known, but that one doesn't have a mid EQ. Hell, if your band uses a mixer at practices then you probably won't even need an amp, seeing as more or less all venues these days have an in-house PA.