OK everyone, so I play guitar, but a friend of mine would like me to play bass in his band. I have kinda been interested in starting bass for a while anyways, so I figured why not. My situation is though, I dont have a bass. My friends have a bass amp I can use for shows but not a bass. So I found this guy http://www.rondomusic.com/wpb955tna.html . I know as far as guitars go everyone says that the stuff from rondo music is always awesome but I haven't heard anything about their basses. Plus the guitars are usually agile and not douglas. So basically, is it a good bass? I dont really wanna spend more that 300 at the absolute most for one, and I thought it seemed pretty nice with the neck through body and I really like the finish as well. Also the band plays in drop b for some stupid reason so i assume i would need heavier gauge strings like on guitar to tune that low. So what gauge would be best? Also is it okay to start bass on a 5 string or should I start on a 4?

tl/dr-i need a bass, is the linked one any good? what strings for drop b? good practice amp for the bedroom?
Gear:
Gibson SG w/ Bare Knuckle Aftermaths
Early 90s Fender MIM Telecaster
Squier VM Jaguar
Ibanez RGD7421
Blackstar HT-100
Avatar Vintage w/ 2 Governors and 2 Swamp Thangs
Ibanez EX
Carvin bx500 w/ Peavey 2x10&1x15
Last edited by CemetaryGates90 at Sep 17, 2010,
Quote by CemetaryGates90
OK everyone, so I play guitar, but a friend of mine would like me to play bass in his band. I have kinda been interested in starting bass for a while anyways, so I figured why not. My situation is though, I dont have a bass. My friends have a bass amp I can use for shows but not a bass. So I found this guy http://www.rondomusic.com/wpb955tna.html . I know as far as guitars go everyone says that the stuff from rondo music is always awesome but I haven't heard anything about their basses. Plus the guitars are usually agile and not douglas. So basically, is it a good bass? I dont really wanna spend more that 300 at the absolute most for one, and I thought it seemed pretty nice with the neck through body and I really like the finish as well. Also the band plays in drop b for some stupid reason so i assume i would need heavier gauge strings like on guitar to tune that low. So what gauge would be best? Also is it okay to start bass on a 5 string or should I start on a 4?

tl/dr-i need a bass, is the linked one any good? what strings for drop b? good practice amp for the bedroom?

I dont know how good it is, but I doubt you will need heavier strings if you do get this one. It's a 5 string- so its already tuned BEADG.
You can start with a 5. Isnt as crowded as a 6 or a 7.

For 300 you could try an LTD B-Series.
I think the B-105 is 360....
The B-55 should be slightly less.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Sep 17, 2010,
Four string will work. Go with DR's man. I've never heard of Douglas but I always insist on trying out a new bass before you buy it.
Rondo has a great reputation around here, especially for their SX line of basses. Other good basses that will run $300 or less: Squier Vintage Modified Precision or Jazz, Squier Classic Vibe Precision or Jazz, Ibanez GSR200 or SR300, Peavey Millennium BXP, Yamaha RBX170, or a used MIM Fender Precision or Jazz.

You can start on either a 4 or a 5, getting a five-er won't make it harder to learn than on a four-string. For practice amps, look at the Acoustic B20, Peavey MAX series, or look for a used Kustom KBA10.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I was looking at the squier vintage jazz bass, but I wasn't sure about it cause of the expierences I've had withe squier brand guitars. But I really like the finish it has on it. I'm a big fan of the natural finish.
Gear:
Gibson SG w/ Bare Knuckle Aftermaths
Early 90s Fender MIM Telecaster
Squier VM Jaguar
Ibanez RGD7421
Blackstar HT-100
Avatar Vintage w/ 2 Governors and 2 Swamp Thangs
Ibanez EX
Carvin bx500 w/ Peavey 2x10&1x15
Quote by CemetaryGates90
I was looking at the squier vintage jazz bass, but I wasn't sure about it cause of the expierences I've had withe squier brand guitars. But I really like the finish it has on it. I'm a big fan of the natural finish.

Squiers generally aren't brilliant, however the Vintage Modified and Classic Vibe lines are brilliant; you can't really do a lot better for the money. Just stay away from affinity Squiers.