I've seen many people stack two distortion pedals(sometimes one distortion and one overdrive pedal).What are the advantages?Does it improve the tone?And would 2 distortion pedals or an overdrive and a distortion would be good?
i use a bad monkey overdrive, a EHX big muff, and a compression pedal to get my solo tone. The amount of gain is unreal. if you are a sloppy player, its gonna make a lot of noise. But with a lot of practice it sounds really sweet.
I used to do it heaps but I didn't run them together - one for rhythm, one for lead and put them close enough so you can hit them both at the same time.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
If you play cleanly you can get some cool sounds with 2 distortions, and if you play sloppy then you get some pretty crazy Muse/Nirvana type sounds.
But, its usually best to stay away from using two disortions
No endeavour rivals science in its incremental progress towards a more complete understanding of the observable universe.
It depends on the character of the two you are stacking. I love running my Dist+ into my muff for Gilmour sounds, but my Dist+ and Rat together are just a garbled mess of fizz. There is no right, and no wrong, its just another way to make sounds.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I wouldn't stack 2 distortion pedals.....but a distortion pedal and od pedal yes. I have 2 od pedals om my board but the only time I use both is when I have to be quiet but still want a big overdriven sound.