ive read that they sound awesome but the quality sucks, which is weird since they are hand wired in the u.k
so my questions are:
do they really sound good?
does it have enough gain for metallica/maiden?
are they reliable?
Do they really sound good?
Yes, mine sounds fantastic and is also really versatile.

Does it have enough gain for metallica/maiden?
Enough gain? Yes, but it's not voiced right for metal, IMO and you'd be better off looking elsewhere if that's important to you.

Are they reliable?
My first one arrived with a problem causing it to hiss terribly. I replaced it with a second one, which I have had no problems with at all. It's solidly built.

Incidentally I live about a mile and a half from where they build them!
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain
I mean it doesn't pull off a metal tone.
It has plenty of gain, but it isn't tight like true high gain amps. It just doesn't sound right for metal.
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain
I don't know I havent tried.
And there is no 'Clean channel' as such. It's a single channel amp. And if you're gonna be using it for gigging you're going to struggle with super clean cleans as it's only 30 watts.

To be honest I wouldn't bother with it for metal, even with a dist. pedal on over the cleans. Seems like a waste of an amp to me when you could probably get something better suited for metal for the same price.
- Dara O'Briain
finding a tube amp that isnt expensive, but can cover many genres including blues, rock, metal and not sucking at other stuff like jazz, with two channels that is availible at thomann or andertons is not an easy task.
Ah I'm sorry, you never stated the other genres you played.

Blues, rock and jazz are all easily covered. I did have a dabble with my amp earlier and could pull off a metally tone using the US input and a boost. It wasn't perfect, but it was definately usable.

However as I said before this is a SINGLE channel amp. The Mofo boost is footswitchable, but don't expect to be switching from crystal clean to full on distortion. That it cannot do.
- Dara O'Briain
err.... what if having the gain on zero and then switching the mofo boost maxed up?
Turning the gain all the way down mutes the amp. Its really just pre-amp volume.

And keeping the gain right down low then switching full Mofo on makes a MASSIVE jump in volume and only makes the amp moderately distorted.
- Dara O'Briain
Yes, if you keep the gain at about 9/10 o' clock and have the Mofo off.
Any more than that and its starts to break up.
- Dara O'Briain