I have heard it so many times: "Marshall is the best amp ever, I am going to buy myself one" or "I love ibanez, i am going to buy myself an ibanez guitar". I asked the person why he/she wanted that specific amp or guitar an he/she looked at me not quite knowing what to say... Then came the words: "Alot of famous players play that brand".

The point i am getting to is: Don't buy any musical equipment just beacause a famous artist, or any artist for that matter uses it...

The best thing to do is to decide what genre of music you will be using the equipment for, Will it be for playing live or just practice ect. and finally, how much are you willing to pay? Then go to as many music stores you can and try out every single piece of equipment that fit in to the previously set out criteria(Genre,Practice/Live,Price range) despite what brand it is.

Deside which of the equipment/Instruments you like bast and get a few professional oppinions about them, try and read a few reviews and so on.

After you have done all this you should have a pretty good idea of what guitar/amp or whatever suits you as artist the best.
I agree with everything you said, but it's obvious that kids like to buy what their idol uses...
GUITARS: Gibson Les Paul Classic 1960
PEDALBOARD: TC POLYTUNE, GCB-95(mod)CRYBABY, MXR DYNACOMP, WAMPLER SUPERPLEXTORTION, TS-9, BIG MUFF, SMALL STONE, SMALL CLONE, MALEKKO EKKO 616, DR SCIENTIST MINI REVERBERATOR
MY COVERS
SELLING TS-9 w/ TB MOD
Quote by Seref
GG&A doesn't need this advice. EG needs this advice.

EG needs to be put out of it's misery like an old sick dog I'd say.
I come from a long line of hawkers, people that can sell ice to Eskimos and I will impart to you the most important rule I was taught regarding buying and selling. The golden rule if you will:

"If you are buying, you don't want it.
If you are selling, you don't want to part with it"

By that I mean; that is the attitude you need to project to the mark if you want the negotiations on the price to go your way. If a seller thinks you are desperate to buy it he will stand his ground.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
agreed. nice work, socrates.

Quote by Cathbard
I come from a long line of hawkers, people that can sell ice to Eskimos and I will impart to you the most important rule I was taught regarding buying and selling. The golden rule if you will:

"If you are buying, you don't want it.
If you are selling, you don't want to part with it"

By that I mean; that is the attitude you need to project to the mark if you want the negotiations on the price to go your way. If a seller thinks you are desperate to buy it he will stand his ground.

hehe, +1 (except i don't come from a long line of hawkers)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well, man that's kinda obvious

That said, the gear your idols use will definitely influence you to a degree. It's inevitable, but you should always check and make sure you still personally like it.