Hi!
I have a Jackson KVX10
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/electric_guitars/jackson/kvx10_king_v/index.html

I have planned to replace the duncan design humbuckers with these ones
http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/blackouts_metal/

What would the difference be? I am looking to get the same sound as silenoz in dimmu borgir, a little more agressiveness and cleaner distortion but still heavy and sharp
sweden on tour
Make sure you replace the Potentiometers with 25k Ohm Pots and get a stereo jack.

I can't comment on the tonality of Blackouts as i haven't played them extensively.
Last edited by customisbetter at Sep 17, 2010,
Depends on alot of things not just the pickups. What amp you using? Any pedals? What type and size of Strings? Have you dropped the tuning? Did you research both pickups and see the output for them both? If so what is the differences? You can tell a little about how the tone will change after you know the differences in the output

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats
1 Custom Soloist (Warmoth)
1 Custom Telecaster (Warmoth)
2007 Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat

Callaham Hardware & Bridges
Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
Last edited by JohnnyNash at Sep 17, 2010,
Stereo Jack not switch, don't confuse him.

Basically verything nash said.

Pickups are a smallpart of tone.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Yeah I know that alot of factors affect your sound. But if all were the same? I use quite thick ernie ball strings, a Line-6 75W amp ( riggs insane setting), no drop D tuning, no pedals

If the difference is very small then I wont get the pickups otherwise

I dont have the numbers in my head but the output is much higher than the DD´s
sweden on tour
Quote by guskarlw
Yeah I know that alot of factors affect your sound. But if all were the same? I use quite thick ernie ball strings, a Line-6 75W amp ( riggs insane setting), no drop D tuning, no pedals

If the difference is very small then I wont get the pickups otherwise

I dont have the numbers in my head but the output is much higher than the DD´s

Your amp is very bad. It also tends to make everything you plug into it sound the same. New pups will not improve your tone much, so buying them would be a waste of money.

If you want to improve your sound, nothing short of a new amp will do.
here it comes he has a spyder
Guitars
Prs Custom 24
Fender Jaguar
Gibson Les paul standard dc
Ibanez as71

Amps
Peavey xxx
Crate v-32h/cab

Effects
Dimebag wah
carbon copy
evh phase
blackstart ht-duel
holy grail plus
electric mistress stereo
dd-20
C´mon seriously, I have tried lots of amps ( and yeah many of them are _worse_ than spiders ). I just dont have 700-800 euros for a good tube amp. This spider with the riggs insane setting works fine for me, some of the settings had a tone I liked and thats it
sweden on tour
Kind Guitar Shredder, just a random title give, I would definitely recommend getting a different amp not pickups just yet. I'm sure the \m/ players could give you a better amp recommendation but not a Line 6. IT MAY SOUND GOOD AT THIS SETTING YOU HAVE BUT IT TENDS NOT TO TAKE WELL TO STOMPS. PICKUPS ARE DEFINITELY NOT THE ISSUE YET.
If you like your Spider, that's fine. But don't waste money on active pups to go with it. Actives are designed to push valve amps more than passives, but the circuitry in modeling amps is doing that for you already (or simulating it) so it would sound pretty bad to have that boost twice.
The 250 euro you would have spent on the Blackouts would go a good way towards a valve amp which will do far more for your sound.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

trust me, actives=spider=

its the most compressed sound you can achieve. if you want better pickups, go with a nice passive set. it's okay if that's the amp you have for now, you can always upgrade later. but the actives would probably be a downgrade.

edit: if you save 100 euros, you can get a nice bugera tube combo off ebay. it's a great starting amp to start out with tubes.
Member of The 7 String Legion

Peavey Triple X Head
Mahieu 4x12 Cab (celestion g12t-75)
Gibson Vixen
Schecter C-1 Classic
Various Pedals, and Guitars.
Last edited by natehimself at Sep 17, 2010,
Quote by guskarlw
C´mon seriously, I have tried lots of amps ( and yeah many of them are _worse_ than spiders ). I just dont have 700-800 euros for a good tube amp. This spider with the riggs insane setting works fine for me, some of the settings had a tone I liked and thats it

If your rig works fine for you, why are you thinking about new pups? It doesn't make sense.

There are a lot of amps worse than the Spider. There's also a lot of foods worse than broccoli, but that doesn't mean broccoli tastes good.

Musical instruments cost money, and good ones cost a lot of money. That's how it is and nothing can change that. Get used to it. But I think something like a Bugera 6262 might work for you and they only cost around 450€ new. Also, if you look for used stuff, you can save a lot of money.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Sep 17, 2010,
Quote by TheQuailman
If your rig works fine for you, why are you thinking about new pups? It doesn't make sense.

There are a lot of amps worse than the Spider. There's also a lot of foods worse than broccoli, but that doesn't mean broccoli tastes good.

Musical instruments cost money, and good ones cost a lot of money. That's how it is and nothing can change that. Get used to it. But I think something like a Bugera 6262 might work for you and they only cost around 450€ new. Also, if you look for used stuff, you can save a lot of money.

Well I like broccoli so

I am not looking for a better sound with the actives, I am just looking for a different sound to experiment a little. But thank you anyway!
sweden on tour
Well, the actives won't change much.

But, even though I do not like the Spider, it has a vast amount of different tones on tap, so experimenting should be easy even if you don't change anything about your rig.

The Spider has an effects loop, doesn't it? If so, look into effects it does not have on-board if you want to experiment. Stuff like an EHX Microsynth, for example.