50-74
23 15%
75-100
17 11%
101+
41 28%
Voters: 149.
Page 1 of 2
Only vote if you actually play guitar of course or the 0 option will be spammed :P

I was just considering how long it would take to build up quite a collection of songs that you're able to play on the guitar. I'm still really new and have yet to complete one. So?

I added a 101+ poll option but it didn't work x.x So I guess just vote for the highest you can.

One song a week means it'd take a little less than 10 years to get 500 songs...Wow.
Last edited by BananaMartyr at Sep 17, 2010,
over 9000!
Without music, life would be a mistake.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote by noob888
I love you for that thread...

Quote by MightyAl
I am now mentally scarred by the image of Peter Crouch getting penalised.
I really don't know... I did A Level Music Performance for two years and during that we must've covered or reinvented around 100 songs at least. Plus ones that I've learnt casually and for guitar lessons. I haven't the foggiest.
It depends on the songs, your genre and how skilled you are. also how proficient you want to be at each song as being able to play a song could take a week but to play it with near perfection could take a month to a few months.

Btw, what is 'quite a collection' to you?

EdiT: i voted 50-74 but i believe its much higher as i can't remember all the songs ive learned at once which is probably going to be the case for the majority of the Pit.
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
Last edited by Deadlock Riff at Sep 17, 2010,
Quote by Deadlock Riff
It depends on the songs, your genre and how skilled you are. also how proficient you want to be at each song as being able to play a song could take a week but to play it with near perfection could take a month to a few months.

Btw, what is 'quite a collection' to you?

EdiT: i voted 50-74 but i believe its much higher as i can't remember all the songs ive learned at once which is probably going to be the case for the majority of the Pit.

Couple hundred maybe.

People don't keep track of the songs that they've more or less completed? I think I would.
Last edited by BananaMartyr at Sep 17, 2010,
I play guitar a lot, but I don't actually remember any song for 100%, most of the time I play only solos, sightread tabs or improvise.
If you mean whole songs then 0. If you mean parts of songs then could be looking at 20-25. Ive never really learnt a song all the way through, im not lazy but there arent many songs at my level of playing that interest me to learn all the way through. If I hear a certain riff/solo I like then I learn that riff/solo.

I kinda read from somewhere that there is little point in learning songs all the way through unless you are in a cover band or your band wants to do a cover. (I have a feeling I will be corrected/abused for that lol)

Edit: Oh wait, I forgot I know one song all the way through. Smelly Cat from Friends rofl!
Quote by GezzyDiversion
Sadokun: Eating cardboard never tasted this good!

Quote by Otis Lee Crenshaw
Billy Ray Cyrus? Billy Ray Cyrus is about as f****** country as a bag of f****** wet mice, alright?
About 100. I have a folder on my computer with all the full songs I play and they are 77, but I know some more (I just don't play them so often so they aren't in that folder) plus tons of riffs, solos, etc.

But don't worry: all simple stuffs! And for some songs I don't play the solo but the rhythm part instead, if it's too fast for me.
Last edited by Poglia at Sep 17, 2010,
I've come to the point, that doing covers isn't really my thing anymore.

But in total, I suppose.. 10-20.
It's mostly for performances I learn covers now though. I'm more focused on wanting to get my own stuff going.
Quote by Zeletros
I play guitar a lot, but I don't actually remember any song for 100%, most of the time I play only solos, sightread tabs or improvise.

Same here. I never really cared to learn other people's songs, but when we were starting out my bandmates wanted to jam some covers just for stuff to do. Now the only time I'll really learn someone else's song is when I hear a sweet riff and want to figure it out. With nearly two albums worth of material written, I've got enough songs to play!
Quote by Sadokun
If you mean whole songs then 0. If you mean parts of songs then could be looking at 20-25. Ive never really learnt a song all the way through, im not lazy but there arent many songs at my level of playing that interest me to learn all the way through. If I hear a certain riff/solo I like then I learn that riff/solo.

I kinda read from somewhere that there is little point in learning songs all the way through unless you are in a cover band or your band wants to do a cover. (I have a feeling I will be corrected/abused for that lol)

Edit: Oh wait, I forgot I know one song all the way through. Smelly Cat from Friends rofl!

I wouldn't agree with that. If you learn something, I think you should really go at it and do it properly. Learn it all the way through and off by heart. It means you can then take stuff from that song and add it into your own. Also, if you're trying to mimic an artist's playing style, it helps greatly.
Voted for the 50 -74 bracket...

I believe it's somewhere about that for songs I could play to you now from beginning to end... but that's what you get for being in a covers band and a tribute act, each with 30 odd songs on regular rotation

For songs that i've learnt then never used/forgotten about/lost interest in etc. etc .... pfffft.....no idea, could be thousands.....
[
Last edited by Skuzzmo at Sep 17, 2010,
from start to finish about 25. out of them, "PERFECTLY", about 14 or 15... but can play bits of well over 100 songs. i guess i just don't have the patience to learn songs but make my own up inspired by songs i like...
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Quote by leg end
I wouldn't agree with that. If you learn something, I think you should really go at it and do it properly. Learn it all the way through and off by heart. It means you can then take stuff from that song and add it into your own. Also, if you're trying to mimic an artist's playing style, it helps greatly.

Hmmm Ill agree with that and I suppose there are a few advantages. But I found that you can learn a certain players style from certain parts in songs. Most guitarists usually have 3 or 4 (or more!) traits that you can find in nearly every song. Once you figured them out, you can see them clearly when looking through tabs. If you love that trait, then surely you could just learn that part of the song containing the trait rather than the entire song? saves time i guess.

Also a slight disagrement, its cool to learn someones playing style but as a guitarist, espesially if you want to make it a career, you should find your own style and not copy someone else completely!

For the record, thought I would say, im not bashing people here saying "stop wasting time playing songs!". Far from it, if there is a song you love and think "Man thats songs great! I wonder how it is to play on guitar" then play it. I bet alot of people here probably picked up the guitar because of that reason. me being one of them (unfortunatly the songs I love I am not that good at playing the guitar to learn all the way through yet)
Quote by GezzyDiversion
Sadokun: Eating cardboard never tasted this good!

Quote by Otis Lee Crenshaw
Billy Ray Cyrus? Billy Ray Cyrus is about as f****** country as a bag of f****** wet mice, alright?
I still remember around 60-70 from when I would learn tons of songs all the time...then throw in the half dozen songs for my band.
Schecter C-1 Elite-->BOSS ME-20-->B-52 AT100 2x12

Quote by laid-to-waste
Extremely attractive woman.
extremely attractive
oh baby
EDIT: you're a guy. shit.
...an extremely attractive guy.
extremely attractive
oh baby

E-Paramour of Andrea55
Quote by Sadokun
Hmmm Ill agree with that and I suppose there are a few advantages. But I found that you can learn a certain players style from certain parts in songs. Most guitarists usually have 3 or 4 (or more!) traits that you can find in nearly every song. Once you figured them out, you can see them clearly when looking through tabs. If you love that trait, then surely you could just learn that part of the song containing the trait rather than the entire song? saves time i guess.

Also a slight disagrement, its cool to learn someones playing style but as a guitarist, espesially if you want to make it a career, you should find your own style and not copy someone else completely!

For the record, thought I would say, im not bashing people here saying "stop wasting time playing songs!". Far from it, if there is a song you love and think "Man thats songs great! I wonder how it is to play on guitar" then play it. I bet alot of people here probably picked up the guitar because of that reason. me being one of them (unfortunatly the songs I love I am not that good at playing the guitar to learn all the way through yet)

As an example, I am a Mark Knopfler fan boy haha, I love his playing and songwriting and really wanna play like him, so I learnt Brothers in Arms all the way through and perfected it. Then I switched some of the licks around and threw my own into it to make it different, but trying to keep it the same song

. All guitarists have their idols that they wanna play like. And you get your own sound by taking bits from other guitarists and adding it all into the mix. Hence why as an example Airbourne, sound like AC/DC but still, you can distinguish between the two because Airbourne aren't influenced just by AC/DC. I'm no way saying you have to learn songs off by heart and all the way through, not everyone works that way. As you said, you can just take small segments of songs and use them. Licks for example, or the way someone bends a note etc.
Quote by nightraven
all of them

Don't be stealin' my line bitch.

All of them.

Hell I don't know. Every time I jam with people I play shit I forgot I knew.
And even if I've never played it before if I've heard it before I can play it close enough that people think I know it.

So ya. All of them.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
I used to know heaps but i forgot a lot of songs
Quote by jibran
I go to the pit only to just look at your creepy perverted username.

My Tumblr
Quote by leg end
I really don't know... I did A Level Music Performance for two years and during that we must've covered or reinvented around 100 songs at least. Plus ones that I've learnt casually and for guitar lessons. I haven't the foggiest.

This
On guitar, I only know a few songs all the way through. I can only think of 4 right now, and two, I don't know exactly how they go.

On bass, I know about 10 songs by heart, but I can play a few more pretty well looking at tabs.
Note for note or you mean like just a basic idea of how songs go in general. I case i know way too many... : (
I just improvise and such nowadays and don't tend to do covers any more unless I'm just bored. Maybe a couple hundred or more I guess..
DANK MEMES
Around 65-70 complete songs. Probably need the actual song playing in the background for a few of them to remember structures, though.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Quote by nightraven
i know the songs that haven't even been composed yet!

You win this round.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Sadokun

Learning other artists songs has helped me loads. It has helped me with techniques, experimenting with different tones, music theory and it has improved my improvising immensely.

Also about 80 or so, most of them are easy though.
I'm in a cover band and we can do up to around 50 songs a gig...with some left over too. Also I just randomly know a few more songs an if you mean song I've written that adds to it too. I'd say around 70
Quote by Zeletros

Same, I know lots of bits of songs, but rarely sit down and work a whole song out,
Hundreds, but I forget them from time to time.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
I only know 12 songs all the way through.

There's probably hundreds of parts of songs I know like the riffs and solos and stuff.
cat
I voted 75-100.

And on a side note, I really freakin hate it when people ask me that question IRL.
Slappa tha bass
Page 1 of 2