I currently have a Schecter C-1 EX Blackjack Baritone (26.5" scale length) and I'm looking to try something new. I play around with drop tunings, hence me buying a Baritone guitar, anywhere from Drop A up to D-Standard. I am pretty happy with my Schecter, but I'd like to get something that's faster to play and has active pickups (it has a JB and '59).

Budget: Hopefully can get $400 out of my Schecter, and then add on $500 or so.
Bridge: Because of the variety of tunings I play in, I assume the Tune-O-Matic bridges would be my best bet. I don't change tuning every day though. I'll stay in, for i.e, Drop Bb for a few weeks or so and then, if there's something I want to try or if I want to learn a song in a different tuning, I'll change it.
Neck: I want it to be a fast guitar, I'm used to a Schecter neck so probably anything will be faster.
Pickups: Active, preferably EMG 81/85's but maybe the SD Blackouts...? I've heard that if I want more clarity and more "grit" to my tone than I want the EMG's.
Body: Probably a Mahogany body, but I'm open to other options
Fretboard, preferably not rosewood
Style of Music: the new As I Lay Dying CD "The Powerless Rise", Arsis, August Burns Red

Also, I'm not a big fan of V guitars, so probably not going to look into one.

Thanks for any help
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.
Last edited by Metalcoresoul at Sep 17, 2010,
what guitar amp do you have?
COOLEST GUITAR EVER!
Peavey: Vypyr 15W
ESP: H-1001
Guitar Rig 5 with Kontrol
Eleven rack
Fender blues Jr III
Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro
Daredevil 77 IC Op-Amp Fuzz
Quote by NIN1993
what guitar amp do you have?

I've got a Rivera Knucklehead KR55 Head that'll be here today

I'd look into Jackson or Ibanez, even though I'm a Schecter fanboy. I'm assuming you're looking for a different company. Jackson, Ibanez, and Schecter kinda rule the mid-range metal guitar field, however check out ESP or a used PRS if you have the cash. I'm less-familiar with ESP, but I know they make good stuff.
Gig Rig:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1
Crate BV120H
B-52 LS 4x12 cabinet
BBE Rackmount Sonic Max
Boss ME-50 Pedalboard
Digital Reference 2505 Wireless

I don't like BTBAM. Sue Me.

PLUR

My Solo Project
Get a jackson, they are awesome. Forget about the prs, you would have to spend about 6000$, atleast if you live i the EU.
I think you've been mislead a bit. Your Schecter isn't a slow guitar with a slow neck. A neck isn't fast or slow. The player is.

Any guitar can be fast depending on the players skill. Buying another axe isn't going to make you faster.

What you should be worried about is how the neck feels in your hand, and the fit and finish of the neck. Some people prefer a slim flat neck, some people like myself prefer a nice fat neck. The speed is all up to you though.
Quote by Matt420740
I think you've been mislead a bit. Your Schecter isn't a slow guitar with a slow neck. A neck isn't fast or slow. The player is.

Any guitar can be fast depending on the players skill. Buying another axe isn't going to make you faster.

What you should be worried about is how the neck feels in your hand, and the fit and finish of the neck. Some people prefer a slim flat neck, some people like myself prefer a nice fat neck. The speed is all up to you though.

While I agree with the second half of your post, the first half I do not, but not outright. Because of player preference, some necks might make a player faster or slower, so while I agree that generally no necks are faster or slower than others, the right neck does make a difference to speed.

Quote by michael3700
Get a jackson, they are awesome. Forget about the prs, you would have to spend about 6000$, atleast if you live i the EU.

This is just ALL wrong. You can get a good PRS Baritone (Mike Mushok sig) for about £600, while you can get a second hand Custom 22 or 24 for £1500 or less on the used market.
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
post-punksymphonicblackeneddeathcore
Last edited by Jato Unit x666x at Sep 17, 2010,
Quote by Metalcoresoul
Hmmmmmmm, what do you guys think about THIS?

http://www.rondomusic.com/product3631.html

problem with that is that the used market for Agile is non-existent.

I think this is a very good option for you. The only downside to that guitar is the pickups (From what i've heard the Cepheus Active's do not clean up well-- but if you're not worried about cleans then its no biggie, and you can always swap them for EMG's or Blackouts)
Quote by AkiraSpectrum
I think this is a very good option for you. The only downside to that guitar is the pickups (From what i've heard the Cepheus Active's do not clean up well-- but if you're not worried about cleans then its no biggie, and you can always swap them for EMG's or Blackouts)

Yeah, that is the only negative thing I found in the specs of this guitar. I'm not worried about cleans on this guitar so it's not a big deal. Would it be possible to, say, put a EMG81 in the bridge and leave the Cepheus in the neck?

You'd need a separate circuit for each pickup, and would be unable to use both at the same time. IMO it's not worth the hassle, just get a pair of actives. You can get them pretty cheap on eBay etc

EDIT: Those Cepheus pickups in there are active, my mistake. I can't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to.

I got confused because the Cepheus pickups in my 8 string are passive
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Last edited by Dopey_Trout at Sep 17, 2010,
What is it about actives that you want? They're not something you should get on a whim, or because an artist you like uses them.

The other thing you should do is go to a shop and try a bunch of guitars to get a feel for what kind of neck you like. As Matt420something said, necks aren't inherently fast or slow- it's the player. Once you know what kind of brands have necks you like, we can help a lot more.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
I'd suggest an LTD, because most of their guitars have necks that are a bit thinner than a Schecter, while getting an Ibanez or Jackson will pretty much instantly transport you to the opposite side of the neck thickness spectrum.

But us playing the guessing game can't help you whatsoever. Only you can know what kind of neck you like, and you can only find that out by playing as many necks as possible.

You need to go to a guitar store and do some research yourself - the internet can only help you so much. When it comes to finding a guitar that fits right in your hands, the internet is utterly useless. Don't take anything here to heart until you know what you like for sure.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
ESP/LTD's are very good guitars. If your looking for a sexy metal experience I'd recommend the KH 202, one sexy piece of shredding equipment I'd like to say 8)
Quote by Savior Airz
ESP/LTD's are very good guitars. If your looking for a sexy metal experience I'd recommend the KH 202, one sexy piece of shredding equipment I'd like to say 8)

Especially if you like paying $100 extra for a name, crappy pickups, and lame inlays.

If you're going to go LTD, don't go low end. And for what you're paying, you could probably find a used ESP for the same.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
Yeah, I'm definitely going to head into Guitar Center and try out a few guitars and get a feel for what neck style I prefer the most.

As far as pickups, I think actives would give me a more aggressive bite to my tone, but I just got my Rivera today so I would need to test out maybe a Hellraiser with EMG's to hear the tonal difference pickup-wise compared to my Baritone.

go with Jato Unit and try out the ESP LTD EC-1000 seriously its fast as hell and it just feels so comfortable when playing
Quote by Metalcoresoul
Yeah, I'm definitely going to head into Guitar Center and try out a few guitars and get a feel for what neck style I prefer the most.

As far as pickups, I think actives would give me a more aggressive bite to my tone, but I just got my Rivera today so I would need to test out maybe a Hellraiser with EMG's to hear the tonal difference pickup-wise compared to my Baritone.

Schecter has a new Hellraiser C-1 EX Baritone with EMG's you could try which would be a really good guitar to use for comparison to your current Schecter C-1 EX (assuming the GC has one).