Hey guys,

I want to buy a new guitar in the coming months and some pointers and tips would be very much appreciated. The styles I play are from rock to heavy metal, with a lot of focus on solo guitaring( think Steve Vai, Joe Satriani). I've been looking at the JEM 555s but I don't know if they are any good.

Thanks all!
Marshall 50 Watt Vintage Modern
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
avoid the jem555. it's a £300 guitar which goes for £700 because of vai's signature. if you want an ibanez go for a prestige rg instead, it's basically the same thing except it's a £700 guitar which goes for £700- japanese-made, good trem, hard case, etc. etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I wouldn't do JEM555. It's basically an ordinary non-japanese RG where you're paying a lot of extra money for Steve Vai's name, some fancy inlay and better pickups. I'd check out other Ibanez Prestige RG's and S'.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
Schecter C-7 FR Blackjack? Satch uses a 7 frequently.....
The Ibanez SA is pretty nice too, very warm sounding.
I can't think of anything else in your price range, except a used RG2228.

What amp are you using? Is this your first guitar?
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Sep 17, 2010,
Quote by Dave_Mc
avoid the jem555. it's a £300 guitar which goes for £700 because of vai's signature. if you want an ibanez go for a prestige rg instead, it's basically the same thing except it's a £700 guitar which goes for £700- japanese-made, good trem, hard case, etc. etc.

Well then I'm glad I asked. Could you perhaps link some of the guitars you meant on thomann?

What about a Rhandy Rhoads RR3?
Or the Mockingbird Pro X?
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Schecter C-7 FR Blackjack? Satch uses a 7 frequently.....
The Ibanez SA is pretty nice too, very warm sounding.
I can't think of anything else in your price range, except a used RG2228.

What amp are you using? Is this your first guitar?

My amp is a Roland Cube 30X plugged into a guitar amplification program.
This one will be my fourth guitar.
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
Quote by constructbot
My amp is a Roland Cube 30X plugged into a guitar amplification program.
This one will be my fourth guitar.

Why not a 7 or an 8 string then?

NOT an RR.....I dont know about you, but I find anything aside from a strat/tele/lp/supestrat body mighty uncomfortable to play.

The Cube is an SS right? Avoid active pickups then. I've heard they sound terrible on SS amps.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Sep 17, 2010,
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Why not a 7 or an 8 string then?

NOT an RR.....I dont know about you, but I find anything aside from a strat/tele/lp/supestrat body mighty uncomfortable to play.

The Cube is an SS right? Avoid active pickups then. I've heard they sound terrible on SS amps.

Well no 7 or 8 because I'm fine with 6 actually.
Yeah the cube is an SS and I was afraid of the active pickups.
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
Active pickups don't sound good on modeling amps. They sound ok-ish on non-modeling SS amps, but give best results on valve amps.
The main differences in the popular brands of guitar come down to pickups, trem quality and neck type. Pickups can be upgraded easily enough but many Jackson and Schecter models come with decent ones as standard. Trems tend to be pretty good except on the ordinary Ibanez RG series which we hear a lot of troubles with. An official Floyd-Rose is likely to be the best.
Ibanez RG have very slim necks. Their S series have about medium thinkness. Jacksons have fairly slim necks while Schecters mainly have medium to thick ones. No-one can tell you which will feel better in your hands, so a visit to a good music shop will be required.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Lurcher
Active pickups don't sound good on modeling amps. They sound ok-ish on non-modeling SS amps, but give best results on valve amps.
The main differences in the popular brands of guitar come down to pickups, trem quality and neck type. Pickups can be upgraded easily enough but many Jackson and Schecter models come with decent ones as standard. Trems tend to be pretty good except on the ordinary Ibanez RG series which we hear a lot of troubles with. An official Floyd-Rose is likely to be the best.
Ibanez RG have very slim necks. Their S series have about medium thinkness. Jacksons have fairly slim necks while Schecters mainly have medium to thick ones. No-one can tell you which will feel better in your hands, so a visit to a good music shop will be required.

okay, so apart from the active pickups - SS amp thing, how do you think this guitar will do for the styles I play? http://www.thomann.de/nl/bc_rich_mockingbird_pro_x.htm
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
Quote by constructbot
Well then I'm glad I asked. Could you perhaps link some of the guitars you meant on thomann?

What about a Rhandy Rhoads RR3?
Or the Mockingbird Pro X?

anything which is rg prestige and up- the rg1550/1570 and up, basically.

E.g.: http://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_rg1570bk.htm

pickups are not amazing, but if you're willing to swap them yourself, that doesn't matter. If you're not, consider one of the dearer prestiges which should have better pickups.

I don't think I've tried an RR3, but I've tried several other jacksons in the pro series- I would say the Ibanez prestiges are nicer (in my opinion), better trem etc. and feel slightly nicer, but if you can get up to the RR5 (haven't tried either, I'm judging it by the sl3 i tried) or sl3, they're of similar quality to the prestige ibanezes.

I haven't tried the mockingbird x- i would assume the MIJ jacksons and ibanezes would be nicer, but I could be wrong.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
anything which is rg prestige and up- the rg1550/1570 and up, basically.

E.g.: http://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_rg1570bk.htm

pickups are not amazing, but if you're willing to swap them yourself, that doesn't matter. If you're not, consider one of the dearer prestiges which should have better pickups.

I don't think I've tried an RR3, but I've tried several other jacksons in the pro series- I would say the Ibanez prestiges are nicer (in my opinion), better trem etc. and feel slightly nicer, but if you can get up to the RR5 (haven't tried either, I'm judging it by the sl3 i tried) or sl3, they're of similar quality to the prestige ibanezes.

I haven't tried the mockingbird x- i would assume the MIJ jacksons and ibanezes would be nicer, but I could be wrong.

Thanks so much for all the information, really helpful!
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
no problem
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dont get any guitar with Floyd Rose tremolo or similar, you won't use it and it will make your strings go out of tune easily.
holy shit, i didn't know we had an omniscient deity posting on UG!

I bow before you, oh holy one. Mere mortals like me can't hope to discern exactly what guitarists will do with certain pieces of kit before they even get it.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?