I've never been in a situation where I had to play my guitar through a system of powered mixer + speaker system with no actual amp (it might be just a mixer + active speaker but it doesn't matter)

well, my day has come and I kinda need to get a good grip on how to use this system.
I know that to use my guitar and effects through such a system I need a DI box between my effects and the mixer... but sadly I pretty much don't know a jack about a DI box.

is it as simple as just plugging in my rig to one side and plugging in the mixer to the other? or do I have to set it up to match some electrical values so that nothing blows up or gives me crazy feedback?

If I need to set the box up, what are the things that I have to do? I've downloaded one of the manuals of some DI box and it's meant for the people who know their stuff and not someone like me

bottom line: if I need to set up or tweak anything on a DI box, what do I have to do to get the optimal results??

thanks a ton guys
Guitars:
* Custom "does-it-all" Strat
*'12 James Tyler Studio Elite HD Burning Water (HSH)
* EVH Wolfgang Special Stealth HT
Quote by ibanezgod1973
need to ask in the recording forum i`ll report it for the mods to move this thread there

woops... didn't know there was one

sorry, and thanks
Guitars:
Output of your effects -> High Z input ->
Low Z output -> Board
High Z output -> Monitor

Dunno what kind of DI you're using that's so complicated, but that's how you use a standard direct box.

Oh, and the DI changes your impedance so you can go to a board. That's it's main purpose.
Last edited by Alex Vik at Sep 17, 2010,
thanks... simple and helpful;
I just saw this particular one with bunch of buttons (aside from pad and ground lift), so I asked. but from your reply I guess that's not the standard

I'll just get myself a simplest one I can find
Guitars: