Obviously there's the legends like the crybaby, Vox wahs etc. but what are the differences between these pedals? What are the characteristics that make each of these individual wah pedals great?

I like what Slash's wah sounds like, and of course the great Jimi Hendrix, and my budget is probably about £120 ($190).
Talentless has a great one for sale i think,

look in the F/S section.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
i wouldnt spend more than 120 on a wah. they mailny differ by how wide the sweep is. youtube some wah comparison videos. don't by a weeping demon wah, they suck
CAE MC-404. I have it, it's awesome.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

+1 for CAE MC-404

Check out Modtone wahs, they rule over standard Crybabies and are very affordable.

In case it has to be Dunlop, I'd pick the 535Q.
get the WH10v2, you won't regret it
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by cainmd
i wouldnt spend more than 120 on a wah. they mailny differ by how wide the sweep is. youtube some wah comparison videos. don't by a weeping demon wah, they suck

If that's the only difference you can hear you don't have ears.

TS, go for the MXR/CAE wah if you want to buy new or the Teese RMC3 or 4 if you can go used.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Wow. That's a wide range of wahs. I'll look into all of them. I would like a wide sweep, although yeah I deffo can hear many more differences than just the width of their sweep in wahs... To mmolteratx, why do you say "if you can go used"? Is it because the RMCs are better or because they're cheaper....? Because I am willing to go used. Basically which would you recomend of a new mxr/cae wah or used teese wah?

I'm also interested in the fact that no-one has recomended the crybaby or a vox wah....
Last edited by adstr123 at Sep 17, 2010,
The Teese is like $255 new. So you'd have to go used to get one. They're completely worth it though. You can set up the RCM3 to get any tone you want short of modern metal stuff. The RMC4 is more of a plug and play wah but it doesn't have a whole lot of sweep. Maybe look at the RMC2 if you want more sweep but don't want to deal with all the tweakability of the RMC3. Check out his website at http://www.realmccoycustom.com/
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by adstr123
Wow. That's a wide range of wahs. I'll look into all of them. I would like a wide sweep, although yeah I deffo can hear many more differences than just the width of their sweep in wahs... To mmolteratx, why do you say "if you can go used"? Is it because the RMCs are better or because they're cheaper....? Because I am willing to go used. Basically which would you recomend of a new mxr/cae wah or used teese wah?

I'm also interested in the fact that no-one has recomended the crybaby or a vox wah....

CAE is the poor man's Teese, I got mine used for $130, you could probably pick up a used Teese for about the cost of a new CAE, which is what he meant about the used/new thing.

Also, no one recommended the crybabies/vox wahs because, frankly, unless you mod them they kinda suck, to put it bluntly.

Quote by bogg808

Wow. The RMC wahs look amazing! Especially the RMC3. Would that drastically change the tone of my amp though even if I left all the knobs alone, like at the 12 o clock position? Because I still wanna get my amp's tone sometimes and just apply a base wah, but having that tuning feature would be awesome to have.

Also, someone did recommend Crybaby, didn't notice it.
Quote by mcraddict81592
CAE is the poor man's Teese, I got mine used for $130, you could probably pick up a used Teese for about the cost of a new CAE, which is what he meant about the used/new thing.

Also, no one recommended the crybabies/vox wahs because, frankly, unless you mod them they kinda suck, to put it bluntly.

Really? Why are they so famous if they suck?
I enjoy my Bad Horsie 2 for it's true bypass and tone.

I would recommend it, but I find no use for the contour/level switch as it's only really good with high-gain. because of this i'm gonna try the Ibanez WH10v2 and see which one is better for me.

I wouldn't recommend the orginal crybaby wah because for the price there are so many better alternatives. If you like the crybaby style I recommend Mod Tone wahs.
Agile Interceptor Pro 725 EB EMG
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
Quote by adstr123
Really? Why are they so famous if they suck?

They're well marketed and in most big guitar stores (Guitar Center, Sam Ash) they're the only wahs they have on the floor. Same reason the Boss DS-1 is so famous.

Quote by bogg808

It won't change the tone when bypassed. If you want it to sound like your amp when the wah is on, it should always sound like your amp. Just with a filter in front of it. The trim pots and everything are for tweaking the sweep range, strength of different parts of the sweep and the resonant peak.

Here's a pic of the board in case you were wondering what all is there.

From left to right, Bass, Middle, Q, Volume, Fine Tuner 1, Fine Tuner 2, DIP switch. Fine Tuners and DIP switch set the range of the sweep, Bass and Middle set the strength of those frequencies in the sweep, Q sets the resonant peak or where the wah makes its transition from bass to treble, volume should be obvious.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by Tom 1.0
Talentless has a great one for sale i think,

look in the F/S section.

I did have a Fulltone Clyde Deluxe for sale for £110 in the UK. However I have a local chappy who uses these forums buying it next week.

That wah is a steal for £110!
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
Quote by mmolteratx
Here's a pic of the board in case you were wondering what all is there.

From left to right, Bass, Middle, Q, Volume, Fine Tuner 1, Fine Tuner 2, DIP switch. Fine Tuners and DIP switch set the range of the sweep, Bass and Middle set the strength of those frequencies in the sweep, Q sets the resonant peak or where the wah makes its transition from bass to treble, volume should be obvious.

That's ridiculous. In the best possible way.

Quote by bogg808

Okay. Well the RMC looks amazing. It's difficult to get in the UK seemingly and I'd probably have to pay as new price to get a used one imported, but for all those features I'd be willing to do that.

But also, I've seen the CAE Mc401. That has a built in booster? I've been looking to get the MXR 401 booster for a while now so this is a good selling point... How good is it? Is the booster the same as the booster that comes without the wah?
It's really transparent, tis a nice boost, and I'm pretty sure it's the exact same circuit.

Quote by bogg808

Quote by mcraddict81592
It's really transparent, tis a nice boost, and I'm pretty sure it's the exact same circuit.

Cool. But the only thing is it only works with the wah engaged.... So i couldn't just use it as a booster could I, like two seperate pedals? I'd have to either use it as a wah or a wah with boost...
Quote by cainmd

I disagree about the Weeping Demon. As long as you don't buy one expecting a signature Crybaby sound, you won't be disappointed.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
Quote by adstr123
Cool. But the only thing is it only works with the wah engaged.... So i couldn't just use it as a booster could I, like two seperate pedals? I'd have to either use it as a wah or a wah with boost...

Yeah, but I've been considering talking to someone about getting it modded so that it can run independently, but I'm not sure if it's actually doable.

Quote by bogg808

I suck at pedal switching. I use a Morley Tremonti wah. It's switch-less. Just stomp and go.
I tried the Weeping Demon. Maybe I had a dud, but when I ran it in switch-less mode, there was a pause, like the signal was cut, and then the overall volume dropped. The WD was great on a bass though.
The Tremonti wah is just transparent. It's pretty aggressive so for metal it's great and IMO you can do mellow stuff with it too - you just have to mess with the boost.
Best advise is to go and try out as many as possible.

When I was wah shopping, I tried out dozens, the one I liked were;

The Vox classic
The Cry Baby from Hell
The Zakk Wylde Cry Baby
The Slash Cry Baby

I ended up with the Slash Cry Baby, my finance gave it to me for Xmas. I'm very happy with it.

The issue most guitar snobs have with the Dunlop wahs is that they're not true bypass. It's a non-issue for me, and it's a pretty simple mod I'm told.
Petey D

Ankle Burner & World Class Sauce Jockey

Sparrow Big Daddy Ace

Sparrow Ratrod Boss

Johnson JT50 Mirage
I could give two shits about bypass. The issue I have with most Dunlop wahs is they sound like shit. The only one worth buying is the GCB-95 so you can mod the hell out of it.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
I could give two shits about bypass. The issue I have with most Dunlop wahs is they sound like shit. The only one worth buying is the GCB-95 so you can mod the hell out of it.

I like posts like this; intelligent and aggressively opinionated. We could use more people like this, it would cut down the bullshit posted here very quickly.

Oh, and +1 to the statement itself.

Quote by bogg808

Where's he been?

Quote by bogg808

I figured it was something like that.

Quote by bogg808

Quote by mcraddict81592
I like posts like this; intelligent and aggressively opinionated. We could use more people like this, it would cut down the bullshit posted here very quickly.

Oh, and +1 to the statement itself.

You're joking right? Aggressively opinionated I'll give you, but what exactly is it about that post that's intelligent?

Saying something sucks because it sounds bad is a subjective argument, Jack-Ass. What sounds great to you might sound terrible to me. The question was "What's wrong with Dunlop Wahs?" I answered it based on fact, they're not true bypass, not based on my own very subjective opinion of sound, and what I said was valid. Gear snobs care about bypass because it effects guitar to amp signal and potentially changes sound.

As far as what the type of person this board needs, yeah ok, the board needs more E Thugs does it? Whatever.

If you two aggressively opinionated intelligent gentlemen want to discuss this further in person, I'd be more than happy to send you the address, hell, I'd even consider paying for the tickets.

Cheers,
Petey D

Ankle Burner & World Class Sauce Jockey

Sparrow Big Daddy Ace

Sparrow Ratrod Boss

Johnson JT50 Mirage
Calm yourself people. I thought it was pretty funny whilst communicating it's point to be honest Petey D. And besides you've shot yourself in the foot by proving that you're clearly aggressivly opinionated yourself.

But regarding wahs, a mod to the CAE seperating the circuits would be awesome. I'm sure it could be done... Let me know if you figure it out though. I would buy one if that was capable as the Teese is quite expensive, regardless of the fact it looks immense. So I dunno what I'll do... I might search around for a mod to the CAE seperating the circuits and if I can't find one I'll see if I can get a Teese. Thanks guys