Since i've realised my dream of becoming a famous musician probably isnt going to come true, I come to The Pit with a question. I spent one year in college for business marketing but dropped it because it really wasnt for me and I had no interest in the course. Next September im going back to college and i've been thinking about what I want to do, and I figure my passion is music so why not pursue a career in it. Its really the only thing that interests me. But since I dont want to take a useless 4 year Bachelor Music degree and end up jobless, I ask what is their out there ? I've been looking at audio engineering and music production. But anything else the pit could recommend would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

TL/DR What jobs/courses should I pursue in the music industry and end up with a good job at the end ?
Quote by Thrill-house
You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome.

Quote by Dopemgs

P.S: You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome

Quote by PsiGuy60
PS. To Conor:
You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome.
[/desperateattempttogetsigged]
Management, communications (advertising, public relations, journalism)...
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
Something that will inevitably not be anything to do with you being a musician.
I was working at a festival last week and they had me washing dishes and hanging up bunting for half the day.
The rest was load-in and load-out.

Four years into a music technology course and I am qualified to roll the bands equipment out of a lorry.
Guitar tech (go on tour with a band, load in/load out, maintain guitars/amps/pedals/misc gear)
Audio engineer (mixing, mastering, tracking)
Producer
Manager
Booking agent
PR
A&R
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Your thinking is wrong. In the reality of music industry, your certificate doesn't matter. Unlike many other careers where your degree gives you entitlement, music doesn't. It relies on experience. So it doesn't matter if you're getting a degree in performance, composition, audio engineering and design, etc, you have to be proactive in gaining practical experience from these opportunities, not to pursue a piece of paper that says you're qualified, because no one will care. But if you gain enough experience and notability, you can make a living from any aspects of music. So don't think that a degree in audio engineering is going to automatically open the doors for you to work in the studios. That path is no more stable than a path in any other branches, regardless of what most people in here thinks.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Every office needs a janitor.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Don't spend any money on a degree for the music business, besides a business and marketing degree. You're a lot less likely to find a job with a sound engineering degree than a business degree or something of that nature.

- Full Sail Graduate. The music industry has been almost killed completely due to the black market. Get a degree you can use elsewhere as well as the music industry.
Fender Stratocaster USA Deluxe 2005
MIJ Fender Contemporary Stratocaster '85-'86 HSS System I DiMarzio SD Bridge
Epiphone 2010 Les Paul Tribute
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Last edited by guitar nubsauce at Sep 17, 2010,
Quote by Xiaoxi
Your thinking is wrong. In the reality of music industry, your certificate doesn't matter. Unlike many other careers where your degree gives you entitlement, music doesn't. It relies on experience. So it doesn't matter if you're getting a degree in performance, composition, audio engineering and design, etc, you have to be proactive in gaining practical experience from these opportunities, not to pursue a piece of paper that says you're qualified, because no one will care. But if you gain enough experience and notability, you can make a living from any aspects of music. So don't think that a degree in audio engineering is going to automatically open the doors for you to work in the studios. That path is no more stable than a path in any other branches, regardless of what most people in here thinks.

This.

Use the course to meet people and gain experience, not just for the piece of paper.
Quote by guitar nubsauce
Don't spend any money on a degree for the music business, besides a business and marketing degree. Anything else is useless.

- Full Sail (Fail) Graduate. The music industry has been almost killed completely due to the black market. Get a degree you can use elsewhere as well as the music industry.

It's not useless. Music schools are a valuable resource to get a head start on your career if you look at it that way. Of course, the paper itself is useless. That's what I was addressing earlier.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
You're right, not USELESS, let me correct.
Fender Stratocaster USA Deluxe 2005
MIJ Fender Contemporary Stratocaster '85-'86 HSS System I DiMarzio SD Bridge
Epiphone 2010 Les Paul Tribute
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Ugh, if you wanna get famous, do it. You're not gunna get anywhere with that attitude. You've really gotta work hard and get yourself noticed. Slash wanted to be in a famous band when he started playing, he worked hard and he's now arguably one of the most recognised guitarists in the world.

I hate people with that attitude. Yeah, people might tell you it's very unlikely and stupid to have a goal like that, and to a point, it is. It depends how you go about getting there though. Set yourself small goals. Get a band first off. Then get a few gigs a month around your town, gradually increasing your popularity. Then move out further and further. It's gunna be hard, but not impossible.
Quote by leg end
Ugh, if you wanna get famous, do it. You're not gunna get anywhere with that attitude. You've really gotta work hard and get yourself noticed. Slash wanted to be in a famous band when he started playing, he worked hard and he's now arguably one of the most recognised guitarists in the world.

I hate people with that attitude. Yeah, people might tell you it's very unlikely and stupid to have a goal like that, and to a point, it is. It depends how you go about getting there though. Set yourself small goals. Get a band first off. Then get a few gigs a month around your town, gradually increasing your popularity. Then move out further and further. It's gunna be hard, but not impossible.

you obviously have no life experience or sense of realism
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Quote by leg end

Fuck yeah!
Quote by leg end
Slash wanted to be in a famous band when he started playing, he worked hard and he's now arguably one of the most recognised guitarists in the world.

Unfortunately the sad reality is for every Slash there are ten million Slices.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
plus getting famous is more luck than anything.there are thousands of hard working talented musicians who never get anywhere with music
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Quote by Eggmond
you obviously have no life experience or sense of realism

You obviously have no ambition.
plenty of ambition but im a realist.there will never be a band as big as metallica or the like again or have as long and successful career because the music industry is completely different to what it was 20 years ago. ambition is worth squat to you now if u want to be the next slash or whatever. do what you enjoy doing, dont try and become your idol
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Quote by Xiaoxi

This is true, but also there is a HUGE amount of luck involved with getting a job in the music industry. Basically you have to knock on doors and phone people up and all that stuff and get yourself known. Contacts are the most important thing in the music industry.
Quote by Zoot Allures
This is true, but also there is a HUGE amount of luck involved with getting a job in the music industry.

No there isn't. I know plenty of my peers who are already getting their foot in the door in all branches of the industry. They can't ALL have amazing luck. They just know how to make good use of resources. Getting internships, networking, and other forms of involvement are not that hard to achieve. It's all about how well you apply yourself.

Of course I'm not talking about getting signed to a major. Frankly, I don't even think it's worth the work these days. There's so much bs involved. But anything moderate is definitely within anyone's grasp. Talent, experience, and reputation are all factors that you have full control over.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Sep 17, 2010,
the moon is in the sky

seriously though.look on youtube and you can see thousands of videos of young hopeful people waiting for their break and none of them will have a long successful career like slash because the industry is more interested in flavour of the month stars rather than big names.it makes more money always having the nest big thing rather than this guy again
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Quote by Xiaoxi
No there isn't. I know plenty of my peers who are already getting their foot in the door. They can't ALL have amazing luck. They just know how to make good use of resources. Getting internships, networking, and other forms of involvement are not that hard to achieve. It's all about how well you apply yourself.

Maybe it's abit different in america then. I know over here very few people from the college i'm at who've done the degree get into music. A lot actually become music tech teachers
Quote by Zoot Allures
Maybe it's abit different in america then. I know over here very few people from the college i'm at who've done the degree get into music. A lot actually become music tech teachers

Yes, location does play a role. And there are plenty of foreign musicians who come here and risk their investment because they know that's where the industry is. That's just the way it is. Businesses aren't going to revolve around you. If you're a computer engineer, you go to Silicon Valley. Same principle.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Eggmond
the moon is in the sky

seriously though.look on youtube and you can see thousands of videos of young hopeful people waiting for their break
and none of them will have a long successful career like slash because the industry is more interested in flavour of the month stars rather than big names.it makes more money always having the nest big thing rather than this guy again

...not everyone who posts a guitar video on youtube is "waiting for their break". Not every good guitar player wants to even TRY to make it because they'd rather do other things like have a family and what not.
true but undoubtedly many of them dream of making it big.most young guitarists do but eventually you grow up and realize life is a b!tch and you set yourself achievable goals that have less variables that are outside of your control
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

well, if it's talent you're lacking and looking for a quick break - try going on an entertainment talent show such as american idol or x factor.

Or, if talent, integrity and/or passion is what you have for music - then I'm afriad you'll just need to try the hard way and work your way up.
Quote by Eggmond
true but undoubtedly many of them dream of making it big.most young guitarists do but eventually you grow up and realize life is a b!tch and you set yourself achievable goals that have less variables that are outside of your control

Well of course they all DREAM about it. That doesn't mean they're putting all of their blood, sweat, and tears into making it big.
I gave up hoping the same time I started playing. Luckily, I am also interested in computing science -- my prospective major at a university sometime in the future.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
I'm going to school for a marketing degree with an emphasis on the music industry. the program requires us to take business core classes like accounting, econonmics, advertising and public relations along with music fundamentals, appreciation, technology, etc.

I thought about going to a different school for music performance or education but the job security isn't very appealing. With this program I will have a business degree, a strong network of industry contacts, and hopefully a job after I graduate. If not, then I'm going to grad school
You'd have about the same chance of getting into the music industry with a BBA/MBA as you would with a sound engineer degree.

Go look up the profiles of the board of directors for EMI, Universal Music, Sony Music. I know its a longshot and you would have to slice a couple of throats on your way to becoming a chief executive of whichever label but i doubt that any of those guys have degree's in anything remotely to do with music. More likely, they will have MBAs and JDs. I haven't even looked but i bet you five imaginary dollars that it will be something like that.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky DK2L
Epiphone LP Standard
Yamaha Acoustic
Bugera 1990 w/ Peavey 2x12 cab