Hey, so I know that the MIM's don't have the best quality, but are the MIJ's any better?
Quote by forstringwonder
chyea

So if you were to put the countries in order by the quality how what would you say?
Many MIJ's are better than the lower-end MIAs (Highway One, American Special, etc). Kurt Cobain used them because they sounded and played as good as any American Strat but he didn't feel as bad destroying them.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
It goes (highest at the top):

MIA
MIJ
MIM
Squier CV/VM
Squier Affinity

Generally...
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by DFX11
Hey, so I know that the MIM's don't have the best quality, but are the MIJ's any better?

MIM's can be hit and miss, but generally they're underrated. They're good quality basses, they're just overpriced if you get a new one.

In order:
MIA, MIJ non-export
MIJ export model
MIM
Squier CV/VM
Squier Standard/Deluxe
Squier Affinity
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
When you buy a Fender online, how do you know where it was made before you buy it?
pinga
Quote by Cb4rabid
When you buy a Fender online, how do you know where it was made before you buy it?

A Squier will obviously say Squier on it. An MIM Fender should be listed on the site as a "Fender Standard _____", "Fender Deluxe _____", etc. It should also say "made in Mexico" on the back of the headstock. The serial number should also start with an M.

An American Standard or American Deluxe should be listed on the site as something like "Fender American Standard ______". The Highway-One's are also MIA.

I believe the only Fender basses currently produced in Japan for export (the non-domestic only models) are the Mustang Bass and the Geddy Lee Signature, both of which should say "Crafted in Japan" down where the neck meets the heel.

I know that its hard to tell online, but any reputable and reliable online store will let you know if its American-made, and the Mustang and Geddy Lee are CIJ.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
So ALL Fender standards and deluxes are MIM?

Man it sounds easier to just go to the store, lol. (I mean anyway, i'd like to to get a feel of the bass, but still.)
pinga
Yes, unless they say "American" before the word.
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
I guess that would help.

Boy, im hispanic, it feels like ya'll are saying we arent good enough when it comes to making basses as our jap/american counterparts

im not mexican btw...
pinga
Last edited by Cb4rabid at Sep 17, 2010,
Quote by Tostitos
I believe the only Fender basses currently produced in Japan for export (the non-domestic only models) are the Mustang Bass and the Geddy Lee Signature, both of which should say "Crafted in Japan" down where the neck meets the heel.

The Aerodyne Jazz is also made in Japan (at least, mine is). There are probably a few other oddballs over the years that are MIJ.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
^ I forgot about the Aerodyne Jazz, good catch

There are indeed lots of odd export basses over the years that came out of Japan, but there's not a lot left in production today, unless any of the signatures other than the Geddy Lee are CIJ.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
For basses, I believe it goes:
MIA
MIJ
Squier CV or VM
MIM
Squiers

Again, that's personal opinion from what I've played.
Most people won't have played the non-export model MIJs, and only judge MIJ Fenders on the export models. The non-export ones are far superior, and probably on par (if not better than) the USA models.

I judge this on experience with guitars; I've never had the opportunity to play a non-export MIJ bass, but I've played quite a lot of Stratocasters from Japan, and they kick the crap out of their American counterparts.
How can you tell if the Japan model is a "non-export"?

EDIT: I hope that doesn't sound extremely dumb
Quote by DFX11
How can you tell if the Japan model is a "non-export"?

EDIT: I hope that doesn't sound extremely dumb

Serial codes maybe.

Also, no love for Korean made Fenders?
Quote by Spaz91
Also, no love for Korean made Fenders?

Oh I wasn't even aware those existed?? I don't think I've ever seen one. Where would they rank on the "Country Quality list?"
Quote by DFX11
Oh I wasn't even aware those existed?? I don't think I've ever seen one. Where would they rank on the "Country Quality list?"

They're the same as Japanese export models. The only MIK Fender I can think of is the Big Block Precision. Unfortunately, they've disappeared of the face of the earth,
Oh okay, well I was looking more into Jazz's. And a friend of mine who plays guitar was telling me that Mexican made Strats were really good and high quality. Are Mexican guitars better quality than Mexican Basses?
Most Korean Fender stuff was Squier, and the quality on those was great as well.
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
i believe that the reggie hamilton, and the marcus miller are also mij
Quote by BobDetroit
It's all about the abalone. You can't play metal without it. Mother of pearl? MOTO? GTFO!
I still don't know what the different is between a export MIJ and a non-export, how the hell can it be a non export MIJ if its made in japan? xD

And i've read somewhere that early MIJ are made of MIA parts, that they exported them to japan because the factory was still new or something (confirmation?)
Gear,
- LakLand 55-01 Quilted maple top
- Epiphone Korina Explorer bass
- Hartke HA 3500
- Peavey BX 115
- Peavey Minx 110 amp
- Crafter acoustic guitar
The Deluxe Jazz 24 was Korean I believe, never had a chance to play it but I heard it was a great bass.
Quote by phoenix555
I still don't know what the different is between a export MIJ and a non-export, how the hell can it be a non export MIJ if its made in japan? xD

Believe it or not, Japanese people can play instruments too.

And i've read somewhere that early MIJ are made of MIA parts, that they exported them to japan because the factory was still new or something (confirmation?)

Can't help you with this particular query, but generally the Japanese basses aren't really made of inferior parts to the USA ones anyway; in fact many of the higher end ones have vintage USA pups on and such.
Quote by Ziphoblat

I think he was confused because he didn't realise the difference between the basses that were made to be exported and those made to be sold in Japan.
Quote by fleajr_1412
It goes (highest at the top):

MIA
MIJ
Squier CV/VM
MIM
Squier Affinity

Generally...

Fixed...(flame sheild)
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
If I was going to rank them I would say that only the MIA series was significantly better (to play) while the Affinity series was torture to play (apart from the Bronco with I really like for some reason.) Even then, it may have been the £500 I dished out for the MIA Fender that made me want to think it was better.

Obviously the hardware and parts are better with the more expensive models but the difference between Indonesian and Mexican models is negligible if the shop you buy them from gives them a proper set up.

The real scam is the Highway One models.
MIM's don't get enough credit around here. Just buy a used one and negate the inflated prices on the new ones.

If we're factoring all Fenders into the picture here, we can't forget early Squiers! Those are fantastic!
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Tostitos
MIM's don't get enough credit around here. Just buy a used one and negate the inflated prices on the new ones.

It's not that I'm not giving them credit, I just have about $1,500 and am not looking for a used MIM
^ I was referring to to the general Squier CV/VM > MIM consensus around here haha

With $1500, you can't go wrong buying MIA. There are some excellent used MIJ's out there that will are a great bang for your buck. Something like a used MIJ Jazz should be close to or on par with an MIA, and will cost you a couple hundred less.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Ziphoblat

Can't help you with this particular query, but generally the Japanese basses aren't really made of inferior parts to the USA ones anyway; in fact many of the higher end ones have vintage USA pups on and such.

I meant whats the different between a export MIJ and an non export?
a non export MIJ bass should be only in japan right?
Gear,
- Hartke HA 3500
- Peavey BX 115
- Peavey Minx 110 amp
Quote by phoenix555
I meant whats the different between a export MIJ and an non export?
a non export MIJ bass should be only in japan right?

The Japanese keep the best for themselves. They have all sorts of weird and wonderful Basses and Guitars that they make in Japan, and some great reissue stuff too, but they don't export them. The only way to get hold of one is to bring it over yourself (there are some companies who buy them there, bring them back, and sell them).
Ah right, like ESP guitars/basses
Gear,
- Hartke HA 3500
- Peavey BX 115
- Peavey Minx 110 amp
Quote by Ziphoblat
The Japanese keep the best for themselves. They have all sorts of weird and wonderful Basses and Guitars that they make in Japan, and some great reissue stuff too, but they don't export them. The only way to get hold of one is to bring it over yourself (there are some companies who buy them there, bring them back, and sell them).

Well, there are Japanese retail sites that will ship internationally.