Page 1 of 4
So I found an amp in my basement. No joke.

I want to try to blow up the speaker or blow up the amp. Anyone know how to do that?

My wife and I just finished cleaning out the basement and I found this amp. It was buried with a bunch of boxes and lumber in a storage closet. We had decided to blow out some walls finally (we've lived here for several years now) and get all this junk out of here. Low and behold -

The problem is, it doesn't say anything on the outside besides what you see here. Solid State. 15XL.

anyone seen anything like this before? I tried to do some Google searches but it was hard obviously. :shurg:
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Sep 19, 2010,
How does it sound?
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
You open it up to see if there's anything written inside yet?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
It's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. Howev...
Oh wait

I feel you, it's so anoying when you find a vintage no-name amp and you can't find anything about it. There was this old tube amp at my music school, it sounded killer but I couldn't find info on it
Good luck!

Quote by Sguit
It's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube.

what could have possibly led you to believe that it wasnt a tube amp?

it couldnt have been SOLID STATE written on the front of it...
^ ha ha very funny. Yeah, I've cleaned it up pretty good but cannot see any other identification.

Quote by JesusCrisp
How does it sound?

Honestly, I'm afraid to plug anything into it or turn it on. What if something blows up?
Take a clear picture of that logo on the left side. I'll run it through Google Goggles and see if it brings any info up.
Dude, that's cool. try ittttttttttt
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by Sguit
It's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. Howev...
Oh wait

I feel you, it's so anoying when you find a vintage no-name amp and you can't find anything about it. There was this old tube amp at my music school, it sounded killer but I couldn't find info on it
Good luck!

Wow i remeber that HAHA
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Honestly, I'm afraid to plug anything into it or turn it on. What if something blows up?

Choose your least favourite friend and get them to do it. If it works, you have a cool little practice amp. If not, that guy that always hangs out with you but always looks shifty and doesn't really contribute to the group will no longer bother you.

Either way, you win.

Seriously though, I'd be tempted just to give it a try. Not much can go wrong. As for what it is, I'm not sure. I was looking at old WEM amps, thinking it might have been one of those and some were starting to look similar as I got further along the page, but ultimately I couldn't find one close enough, so I have no idea
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
What if something blows up?

Get a 15 to 30 meters long cord and try it from safe distance.

Well, no idea to be honest, there's only one way to find out though.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by rickyj

lol

You are teh stupidz.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by JesusCrisp
Get a 15 to 30 meters long cord and try it from safe distance.

Well, no idea to be honest, there's only one way to find out though.

I've got a long cable. Find out what? If it works?

Before I do anything or potentially blow myself up I want to try to find out if it is even worth it or what it might be? How old it is? Who makes it etc. Stuff like that. For all I know it needs a cap job and good look over. I'm not an amp tech or anything but I do know enough to not start turning things on willy nilly.

Also, the insert jacks are very rusty.

CECamps - I'll try to do that tomorrow. I'm heading out for some beers pretty soon.
Quote by rickyj

Doooood!
There was a f#@king epic thread a couple years back that had a longer version of that response, & that thread got waaaayyyy out of control on the stupid meter, & Sguit was just quoting from that super stupid old thread. The guys who've been here a while will remember it, but you haven't been here long enough. I'm too lazy to dredge up that relic thread, but I'm sure someone will. I don't want to get banned for resurrecting it either

Edit: 311- I think we both know that no possible good will come from some 15w SS unknown box of shit, unless it burns well
There's a reason it got stuffed in a basement for years.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Last edited by riffhog at Sep 17, 2010,
I'm fairly sure it's a Teisco practice amp. I saw someone selling a couple on CL for real cheap not too long ago.
Quote by riffhog
Doooood!
There was a f#@king epic thread a couple years back that had a longer version of that response, & that thread got waaaayyyy out of control on the stupid meter, & Sguit was just quoting from that super stupid old thread. The guys who've been here a while will remember it, but you haven't been here long enough. I'm too lazy to dredge up that relic thread, but I'm sure someone will. I don't want to get banned for resurrecting it either

Good times
Quote by rickyj

In this man's defense, he wasn't around for that glorious thread.
As the great Steven Seagull said,

"No it's not you fools...

...IT'S A TRAP!"
Agile Interceptor Pro 725 EB EMG
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
It looks like an old Sears & Roebuck amp that I used to have. I had the 5XL.

My kid bought this for me at a garage sale for $1.00. When I plugged in my guitar and hit a chord, it sounded like someone stepped on a cat. I replaced the speaker with an old Weber that I had laying around, but that didn't help. It was also missing the tone and volume knobs so I put on a "Tone" and a "Volume" knob from an old Squier. By using the source-date code on the pots, it dated back to 1973. Check out the code on the pots and then check out this site. I ended up harvesting what few parts I could and the rest ended up in the trash (after paying my kid back the $1.00!)
Quote by thedude051
bubbaearl...Man that is...THE SICKEST NAME EVER!!!

Quote by Stress Cow
bubbaearl... apparently it's the sickest name ever

Are you over 30?
Probably not, but if you are, click HERE.
Quote by rickyj

Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by riffhog
Doooood!

T'was the most epic thread that was ever created and I am proud to say that It's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works.
i would like to see a video of him in the back yard with a blast shield on flipping the switch with a stick.

BOOM!
Quote by rickyj

KNOW YOUR GG&A MEMES!

. I'd have played it by now. Have you tried yet?
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
TS don't be afraid of it blowing up. The chance of it blowing up is slim to none so it doesn't hurt to try.

It's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works.
I leik music
311, tbh, I'm sure it's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by acdcrocks0323
T'was the most epic thread that was ever created and I am proud to say that It's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works.

Dude that tread make my week!

I even still make that joke and people just look at me all confused.
It might be a stereo amp and I know it is not a tube. I mean it has has two channels, two insert jacks and two volume controls but it is not Hi-Fi amp.

Quote by bubbaearl
It looks like an old Sears & Roebuck amp that I used to have. I had the 5XL.

My kid bought this for me at a garage sale for $1.00. When I plugged in my guitar and hit a chord, it sounded like someone stepped on a cat. I replaced the speaker with an old Weber that I had laying around, but that didn't help. It was also missing the tone and volume knobs so I put on a "Tone" and a "Volume" knob from an old Squier. By using the source-date code on the pots, it dated back to 1973. Check out the code on the pots and then check out this site. I ended up harvesting what few parts I could and the rest ended up in the trash (after paying my kid back the $1.00!)

Wow. You are my new best friend Where have you been all my life? OK, that amp does look a bit like mine and so does that symbol on the front. Sears & Roebuck huh? Well, tbh when I first started to read your post I got excited. Then that excitement turned into despair when I heard about the cat part

Oh well, I'll clean up the insert jacks and contacts a little later and try to pry the back off so I can see inside.

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Sep 18, 2010,
A friend of mine had one of these. He kept telling me it's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works.
Quote by gregs1020
bring a bugera extinguisher with you!

you never know...

Now that's funny.......I wonder if it will do death metal??
Quote by MatrixClaw
311, tbh, I'm sure it's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works.

Matrix I remember that thread like it was yesterday.

06'ers

Also nice amp 311. I love vintage looking stuff!
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Wow. You are my new best friend Where have you been all my life? OK, that amp does look a bit like mine and so does that symbol on the front. Sears & Roebuck huh? Well, tbh when I first started to read your post I got excited. Then that excitement turned into despair when I heard about the cat part

Oh well, I'll clean up the insert jacks and contacts a little later and try to pry the back off so I can see inside.

Yeah, Sears & Roebuck.

Post some pics of the guts when you take off the back. It'll be interesting to see what kind of speaker it has. The speaker in mine was just a no-name P.O.S. If possible, post some clips, too. Hopefully it'll sound better than the one I had.

And thanks, I needed a new best friend.
Quote by thedude051
bubbaearl...Man that is...THE SICKEST NAME EVER!!!

Quote by Stress Cow
bubbaearl... apparently it's the sickest name ever

Are you over 30?
Probably not, but if you are, click HERE.
Yeah, check the speaker code.

But pretty cool find. Mod it to Blackface specs.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Page 1 of 4