Hey all. I have been playing about 2 months and taking lessons for 1. I know about 32 chords so far based off of the E and A formation.

My teacher has me working on changing from the E formation to the A formation(double bar).

I am really struggling with this change. My E formation is very solid and I can get it to ring out and slide it up and down the neck with relative ease. The A Formation is killing me though.

My fingers feel strained when changing to it...my index bar moves and get's pulled towers the fat end of the guitar and spills over onto the next fret.

Anyone have any tips/advice/video showing the change???

Any help would be much appreciated. I am very dedicated and practice about 1-2 hours a day. Thanks in advance!

Jason
theres nothing you can do but practice and youll eventually get it easily.

ask your teacher about where/how your fingers should be
I know how they should be lol. I can throw up the A formation by itself if I grab the guitar and throw it up there.

But changing from E formation to that double bar is just killing me. I don't have the "FEEL" for it yet and so I think I am doing something wrong.
I just thought maybe I'm missing something in my technique that is making the change harder for me then it really is.
Quote by ^Gouda^
I just thought maybe I'm missing something in my technique that is making the change harder for me then it really is.

Nope, if there was a technique problem your teacher should be able to point it out to you better than us.

This isn't something that there's a trick to, it's something that comes with time and practice. Make sure your fretting hand is relaxed and you're applying even pressure over the fretboard. Try to use as little as pressure as possible while ringing out every note in the chord clearly. Tensing is a no no.
it`s down to muscle memory and finding the most economical way of changing between the chords, but without seeing how you are currently performing the transition(vid?) i or anyone else can`t give you any tips.
I personally just use my fingers to hold each string independently. The index finger is exempt from that, i use that as a bar. For example, if I was playing a B chord but with that
"A formation". Index finger on the second fret on all strings excluding(or including if you really want) the bass E. Middle finger on fourth fret D string, ring on G, pinky on B. That is how I like to do it but that is just me.
Quote by Nacho Cheese!
I personally just use my fingers to hold each string independently. The index finger is exempt from that, i use that as a bar. For example, if I was playing a B chord but with that
"A formation". Index finger on the second fret on all strings excluding(or including if you really want) the bass E. Middle finger on fourth fret D string, ring on G, pinky on B. That is how I like to do it but that is just me.

I also do this.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Quote by Nacho Cheese!

Yeah I have seen multiple ways of doing it. What you are explaining is basically an A major chord(shape) and then slap on the barre right?

I think someone stated one problem I am having. I do tend to tense up when trying to do it because it just doesn't feel natural.

I will keep at it. Thanks for the help.
Jeez, have some patience...you've only been playing 2 months!

I didn't touch a barre chord for about 6 months, they're not the easiest thing in the world and it will take time for you to get the hang of them.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
One day it will suddenly 'click into place', and you will be wondering why you had problems. It's just one of those things, practice and it will happen sooner or later.