Page 1 of 2
Professional philosophist?
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Say "why" a whole lot to strangers passing by your cardboard box.
i would imagine some sort of professional preacher?
i really wouldnt know...
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
My buddy is doing this I think.

Other than being a professor it's pretty damn limited.
Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
Quote by genghisgandhi
I can count the number of successful philosophy authors I know of on one hand, granted my hand has six fingers on it.

For every successful writer you know there are hundreds of writers who make average graduate wages.

EDIT ^ I'm doing it, and I'd say it's pretty unlimited.

GG, are you sure you really want to learn about this stuff? You have to learn a lot of crappy philosophy along with the good stuff you'll like. It's not like physics or chemistry, the truth isn't always known.
Last edited by captaincrunk at Sep 17, 2010,
Quote by jetfuel495
Apparently philosophy majors score pretty high on the GMAT, so if all else fails, you could always try getting a masters in some business type thing.

They also score the highest on the LSAT. So you've got Law too. They're actually just "all around" smart. Jack of all trades, so to speak. You can go to nearly any post graduate work.

Also, if you're just now going into university you have time, but don't let that fool you. You do need to make an at least temporary decision soon.
>philosophy major
>mfw

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
the jonas brothers are sooo
█▄█ █▀█ ▀█▀
█▀█ █▄█ ♥█
☆┌─┐ ─┐☆
 │▒│ /▒/
 │▒│/▒/
 │▒ /▒/─┬─┐
 │▒│▒|▒│▒│
┌┴─┴─┐-┘─┘
│▒┌──┘▒▒▒│
└┐▒▒▒▒▒▒┌┘
 └┐▒▒▒▒┌┘ PEACE! LOVE! JONAS!
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
Money well spent, IMO.

Don't mean to be that guy, but I just put a daughter through college for a psychology degree. She is now a professional babysitter. Now she is enrolled in grad school and CAN do much better, but it's even more of an investment on an iffy income future.

If you aren't going to college to actually learn a specific job skill, i.e. engineering, accounting, IT, etc, just save your debt and learn a trade. You do know that plumbers, electicians, auto mechanics, etc are in demand and pull pretty good $$$. Alot more than babysitting or waiting tables. And they don't start out $50,000 in debt.

Good luck to you no matter what you decide..
Last edited by Rt1Rebel at Sep 17, 2010,
Teach philosophy.

That's about it.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
My girlfriends dad is a philosophy major. He graduated and ended up being an engineer for the school, and now he is an author.
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by GogglesVK
Go to law school and be a lawyer.

Quoted and increased in size for the fact that I think everyone has passed it by.

Philosophy is one of the best ways to get to law school. Which is, of course, completely useless.
Apparently Homeland Security and Intelligence prefer to recruit philosophy majors.
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
Quote by genghisgandhi
How is it useless?

It's not useless. You can graduate $1-250,000 in debt and make a decent living at it, and if you are 1 in 20 and completely without morals you can be filthy rich as a lawyer or by branching out as a politician. I say this as someone that has a father and a brother that are attorneys.
Quote by Rt1Rebel
Money well spent, IMO.

Don't mean to be that guy, but I just put a daughter through college for a psychology degree. She is now a professional babysitter. Now she is enrolled in grad school and CAN do much better, but it's even more of an investment on an iffy income future.

If you aren't going to college to actually learn a specific job skill, i.e. engineering, accounting, IT, etc, just save your debt and learn a trade. You do know that plumbers, electicians, auto mechanics, etc are in demand and pull pretty good $$$. Alot more than babysitting or waiting tables. And they don't start out $50,000 in debt.

Good luck to you no matter what you decide..

Really? I'll be less than 15k in debt, and I definitely won't be waiting tables.
Quote by captaincrunk
It's a liberal arts degree like History, writing, etc. It gives you loads of options straight out of graduation.

How so? I'm majoring in criminal justice right now, but I'm thinking of changing it to History. I'd like to get into a federal law enforcement agency, but I have learned that they take people with any bachelors degree. The reason for considering this is because I've noticed that I enjoy going to my honors history class more than any other class at the moment.
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
Quote by captaincrunk
Really? I'll be less than 15k in debt, and I definitely won't be waiting tables.

I'd need details on your situation, because unless you are living at home and attending a community college, or have a sizable scholarship, no way are you getting a real 4 year degree for less than 50K.
Quote by genghisgandhi
I think you mean philosopher bro.

Bollocks. Of course I do, slight blonde moment. That's embarrassing
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

I don't care for a fancy high-paying job, I want to major in philosophy anyway.

Quote by Trowzaa
Professional philosophist?

A PHILOSOTOLOGIST?
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Last edited by fail at Sep 17, 2010,
Quote by Rt1Rebel
I'd need details on your situation, because unless you are living at home and attending a community college, or have a sizable scholarship, no way are you getting a real 4 year degree for less than 50K.

My school costs 36k a year, and my loans are about 4k a year.
Huge list here: http://www.smu.ca/administration/career/documents/PHILOSOPHY%20101.pdf

A philosophy degree isn't as bad as everyone says it is. It still has around a 80-90% employment rate.

I myself find philosophy very interesting but in my opinion if you want to study in depth, then buy your self a few books, aristotle and the like and teach it to yourself. It doesn't compare to lecture and in class discussion but it saves you a few grand. Philosophy is an enlightening subject, but the program is just not set up well enough to lead to guarentee you particular (high-paying) jobs, although it likely increases your ability to perform them.

If you really want to take it in class though, take it as a double major. If you take it with psychology they interconnect and work very well together. You can continue your education by taking counselling, therapy, social work, etc. to guarentee a particular job. You could also combine it with some form of english if you're interested in being a writer. Or as has been said in this thread, follow it up with business or law. You can also add 1 year of study to get a BA in Education, which would get you a decent job teaching.

edit: or take it as a minor and get a few classes that interest you for your own leisure and personal interest and have you main subject as the only that will lead you into your potential career.

you can alos combine it with a social service college course and it would probably boost your chances of getting hired and/or your paycheque.
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Last edited by Wiegenlied at Sep 17, 2010,
My friends dad was given his bachelors degree in philosophy and got a a job as a process engineer. He makes $130,000 a year. Seeing as how this is UG, he was in a band as a drummer(the name escapes me). He was offered a one and a half million dollar record deal, but declined and left to go to school. Turns out his buddies were doing heroine, and that's not the way he wanted to go.

I have more respect for that man then anyone I've ever met. Turning down something like that would be ****ing hard. But, he's got a family now, and he's one of the best dad's I know. I consider it my second home.
Originally Posted by Spachula
So my band recently played our first gig, and it actually went great. There was only one problem though....
My band is pissed at me now for wearing a banana costume while I performed.

Quote by genghisgandhi
How is it useless?

Seriously, bro. I wasn't kidding about being a lawyer. You'll rake in ****ing bank, and a philosophy degree is one of the most successful in law, along with sociology.

LAW SCHOOL.
Politics is a possible venture, many people have put philosophy into law-making many times, granted some did it for the wrong reason.

That or you could be a hemlock taste-tester.
hue
Cracked.com on getting a degree in philosophy.
Why You Chose It

Seriously? Yeah? OK.

Why You'll Regret It

Here's a question: What's the sound of no hands clapping? Your folks after you tell them they just spent $60,000 for nothing.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-6-best-college-majors-for-filling-you-with-regret/
nothin really, you can mix it with like writing or history but you can't really make money by thinking obscurely :/
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Quote by GogglesVK
Seriously, bro. I wasn't kidding about being a lawyer. You'll rake in ****ing bank, and a philosophy degree is one of the most successful in law, along with sociology.

LAW SCHOOL.

I don't think I have what it takes to be a lawyer, seeing as I have a heart.
Quote by genghisgandhi
I don't think I have what it takes to be a lawyer, seeing as I have a heart.

Fair enough. That's probably the best option you have with a philosophy degree though.
Page 1 of 2