I'm in the market for a new amp and I'm almost %100 settled on the Egnater Tweaker head Tweaker

I'm trying to decided if I should buy the matching cab, which is $280 cdn for a 1x12, or build my own.

How much would it run me to build my own? Or is this just a dumb idea...
If you have competent rudimentary wood working skills and buy a used speaker, it could run you as low as 150 is you're frugal and leave it untolxed/uncornered. If you mess up it'll cost you more. If you need to buy tools it'll cost you more. If you buy a new speaker it'll cost you more.
Quote by Seref
If you have competent rudimentary wood working skills and buy a used speaker, it could run you as low as 150 is you're frugal and leave it untolxed/uncornered. If you mess up it'll cost you more. If you need to buy tools it'll cost you more. If you buy a new speaker it'll cost you more.

you hit the nail on the head, but to add: Most of that cost will be in the speakers. the actual cab is pretty cheap to make.

dunno how relevant it'll be, but i figure its helpful \(o.o)/
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Yeah, it's actually kind of simple. It's a box and a baffle and some simple wiring. Granted, the box has to be quite solid in construction.
Quote by Seref
Yeah, it's actually kind of simple. It's a box and a baffle and some simple wiring. Granted, the box has to be quite solid in construction.

and certain constructions sound different than others.

sorry to piggyback off of your responses
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Quote by mr.Krinkle
No problem building a box. I have enough wood lying around. I think I'll giver 'er a go.

Thanks for the help fellas

What kind of wood? Is it just generic plywood? You don't want to use that since it will be loaded with voids. Voids will cause rattling and other odd noises.

You're options for speaker material are mdf, solid pine or a void free plywood like birch plywood (not veneer, but birch in every ply).
What tools do you need to build a cab? I was also thinking of building one but I have next to no tools.
Gear:
----------------------
Jack and Danny Brothers Ls-5
Ibanez Gsa 60
----------------------
Zoom g9.2tt (for sale (NL))
----------------------
Blackheart Little Giant
why dont you buy a harley benton 2x12" for like 180 us dollars i think (im british, just an estimation) the vintage model has vintage 30's in it, you could by that, sell the speakers for a tidy number and settle on some other speakers? Your signature does say you appreciate cheap gear... :p
Got wood?
Last edited by rhythmkillingMo at Sep 18, 2010,
If you have no tools, then it will cost quite a bit.

I built a 4x12. When I built mine, I had all the tools I needed and built the cab for about $30-$40. I finished the cab in about 1 day. I have a bunch of vinyl laying around, so I covered it with that. I bought the speakers from Warehouse Guitar speakers. They have great speakers for really good prices. I would check them out.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
Quote by rhythmkillingMo
why dont you buy a harley benton 2x12" for like 180 us dollars i think (im british, just an estimation) the vintage model has vintage 30's in it, you could by that, sell the speakers for a tidy number and settle on some other speakers? Your signature does say you appreciate cheap gear... :p

'Cause the Harley Benton is probably made MDF or Particle Board
Quote by the1967mustang
If you have no tools, then it will cost quite a bit.

I built a 4x12. When I built mine, I had all the tools I needed and built the cab for about $30-$40. I finished the cab in about 1 day. I have a bunch of vinyl laying around, so I covered it with that. I bought the speakers from Warehouse Guitar speakers. They have great speakers for really good prices. I would check them out.

I second Warehouse. I've had mine for about a year and they sound great!
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
For tools, you need access to a table saw to make the long cuts to make the actual box.

You'll also need a jigsaw to cut out the hole(s) for the speaker. You can also do this with a router.

A drill is very handy to have to pre-drill the screw holes so the wood doesn't split.

Having a router handy will make the box look a lot nicer with rounded edges (I use 1/2" radius .

If you don't have tools, you just have to be creative and find someone you know who does (father, uncle, friend, neighbor, etc.). People who usually have these tools love using them and they'll love to show you. They're gear freaks too!

Quote by niels-uiterwaal
What tools do you need to build a cab? I was also thinking of building one but I have next to no tools.
Well, you don't NEED a table saw, but it makes things way easier. I built a 2x12 some time ago and I made the long cuts with a jigsaw, a steady hand, and a lot of patience. Using scrap wood as a rail makes it good as long as you remember to keep it level.