I play pickstyle, my bass is a Yamaha RBX 170, my amp is a Line 6 LowDown 150 and my favorite bands are Megadeth, Metallica, Anthrax, System Of A Down, Iron Maiden, Motörhead, Slayer and Rage Against The Machine. I need some new strings since I've been using the same ones for over 8 months now, and I need some BRIGHT ones, so help with suggestions please...

What should I look for in strings for them to sound BRIGHT?
How can new strings affect my playing, for example are there ones that would allow me to play faster?
What strings would you suggest?
Need any more info?
Just get some DRs or Ernie Ball slinkys. I got slinkys like a month ago and they sound really good. New strings just sound BRIGHT, that's basically all there is to it. The strings don't really make you play any faster it's all about the finger technique, or in your case picking technique. I don't play bass with a pick so I don't know how new strings would sound with it but I'm assuming it would sound good because new bass strings are one of the best things ever in my opinion.

On another note I've always wanted to ask someone why they play bass with a pick. So, why do you play bass with a pick? I don't understand it ( I understand picking because I play guitar, I just don't understand why people play with a pick) and when I play with a pick I get really bored because picked bass in my opinion is very boring. I also feel pick limits me a lot too. I can't 8 finger tap without dropping the pick and I have less control of my tone with a pick and I've found that it sounds like shit but when I play with my fingers I get a much better tone without changing my settings. Picked bass makes me feel like I'm cheating in a way though because it's so much easier to play. I'm just curious about different styles of play and I would like you to explain it to me If you would like.
Quote by PeeInMyAss
On another note I've always wanted to ask someone why they play bass with a pick. So, why do you play bass with a pick?

I'll answer that question. Feel and tone. With a pick, you play a lot different than with fingers (I do at least), and I love the tone. I do fingerstyle a lot too, but usually the music I play doesn't require fingerstyle.

TS: You could pick up some coated strings, which cost about twice as much, but they'll stay bright for longer. But any new string will sound bright.
Last edited by Alex Vik at Sep 17, 2010,
Well thanks for helping, but I find it ironic talking about the feel of the bass playing with a pick because you feel the bass more with your fingers. I do suppose it depends on the style of music that you play and I play alot of metal and technical death metal on bass using a pick is usually a nono. =)
Rotosound 66's.

I'm disappointed no one said this before.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
Roto 66s or Stadium Elites. EBs sound bright for about 1 - 2 weeks and then die a quick death to dull thumpiness.
Quote by PeeInMyAss
On another note I've always wanted to ask someone why they play bass with a pick. So, why do you play bass with a pick?

Basically to try and get something like these:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bimNMiz250
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umeZtszNShk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YC8N_betq4Y

And yeah thanks, I think I'll look for the Rotosounds, I noticed they were mentioned in the FAQ too.
Quote by PeeInMyAss
Well thanks for helping, but I find it ironic talking about the feel of the bass playing with a pick because you feel the bass more with your fingers.

People need to learn what irony is.
I swear to god I am going to correct everyone on this board until people start getting it right.

Just so I'm somewhat on topic.
Picks.
I sometimes use them.
the thicker the strings, the brighter they will sound
Quote by BobDetroit
It's all about the abalone. You can't play metal without it. Mother of pearl? MOTO? GTFO!
Quote by primusclaypool1
the thicker the strings, the brighter they will sound

really? I'm glad I asked, I thought it was the other way around...

any explanations to that? cause judging by the difference between bass and guitar strings, I wouldn't have said that...
Quote by Sant_iago_9
really? I'm glad I asked, I thought it was the other way around...

any explanations to that? cause judging by the difference between bass and guitar strings, I wouldn't have said that...

yes, it's the other way around. Thicker strings will give you more meat in your tone. Lighter gauge will have less tension, and be easier to play.
Quote by Skeletomania
yes, it's the other way around. Thicker strings will give you more meat in your tone. Lighter gauge will have less tension, and be easier to play.
so lighter = brighter then, and the other guy was being sarcastic?

EDIT: Sorry if I'm being extra n00bish but I wanna be sure about my purchase cause, as you know, bass strings arent't exactly the cheapest thing ever...
Last edited by Sant_iago_9 at Sep 20, 2010,
Quote by Sant_iago_9
so lighter = brighter then, and the other guy was being sarcastic?

EDIT: Sorry if I'm being extra n00bish but I wanna be sure about my purchase cause, as you know, bass strings arent't exactly the cheapest thing ever...

Lighter gauge meant that there is less fundamental, and not as deep sounding as thicker strings. How bright the strings are are more about the type of strings, and how the strings are made.

I hope you like playing rotosound because they are known to grind fingers to a pulp. They are very rough on fingers, especially the stainless steel.

To add, I hope you're not buying from that ebay seller. He's charging way too much for it. Plus, you should buy one pack to try in case you don't like how it sound .
Last edited by Skeletomania at Sep 21, 2010,
stainless steel roundwound strings cause bright, punchy sound, the thickness is really not needed, once you get to bass frequencies, all the strings are just damn big. Rotosound makes the best, in my opinion. favoring your bridge pickup will also help- though you may want to keep some of the neck pickup involved also. using a pick would also improve the brightness, or at least give it more snap. I personally dislike playing with a pick, though if I need to I will. Anyone with decent skills at EQing and a good equalizing unit can get a similar punch with their fingers, though it will not retain that click, which is half the fun of picking. playing closer to the bridge gets really bright- if you go far enough it will start cutting your bass frequencies even.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I use Elixir. Expensive, but they stay bright and "new" for a very very long time. Worth the extra money IMO
New track on soundcloud.com/ahlers or on my profile.
Feedback much appreciated.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
Hi my name is Chen im 16 years old from Israel.
I love playing Guitar and writing if I have the time[...]

As of now I am banned because of racism against albinos
Roto 66s.

Ernie Balls will raep your wallet.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Quote by Cb4rabid
Im shocked to see that nobody has mention D'addario

Why are they better than Rotosounds?

Also, can anyone answer me if Lighter=Brighter or Heavier=Brighter (given that both strings are made of the same material)?
Quote by Sant_iago_9
Why are they better than Rotosounds?

Also, can anyone answer me if Lighter=Brighter or Heavier=Brighter (given that both strings are made of the same material)?

no, but they are fine strings. good choice if you cant take them rough Rotos.

same with the high beams, but they cost overmuch. they're strings, not textbooks.

a lighter gauge is going to have less of the fundamental lows, so will by default be brighter. however, the difference isn't all that great. heavier however, is less liable to clacking, so you can get away with a higher treble knob if you don't like your strings to bounce off your frets too much.

does that answer your question?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
no, but they are fine strings. good choice if you cant take them rough Rotos.

same with the high beams, but they cost overmuch. they're strings, not textbooks.

a lighter gauge is going to have less of the fundamental lows, so will by default be brighter. however, the difference isn't all that great. heavier however, is less liable to clacking, so you can get away with a higher treble knob if you don't like your strings to bounce off your frets too much.

does that answer your question?

yeah I guess, thanks

anyways, I just broke my G string (while cleaning my bass, long story), so I'm gonna have to buy some ASAP
I personally have never played Rotosounds on my bass. They dont make the guages I like . Actually, neither does D'addario, but with D's I buy all 4 strings separately.
pinga