This one was a little bit of an experiment to see what I could get out of my little netbook by going to extreme lengths, before I hopefully upgrade slightly this winter. Each instrument was recorded into it's own project, processed, and then imported into a main project in which only light processing would be used, the idea being to allow much greater freedom to add effects etc to individual tracks, whilst saving resources. Of course this meant a lot of going back and forth between projects to make sure things were right, but it did allow me to use multiple guitar tracks without Reaper's stutter of death kicking in as I ran out of CPU, RAM and everything else all at once.

The song itself is one I wrote some time ago, with a view to sounding a little like Opeth. I think there is a wee bit of that sound here, although it's laid out much more formulaic-ly than their songs and is much more simple. Still I think it's decent enough, and it made a good test subject! =)

Software: Reaper,* POD Farm, FL Studio, with MIDI programmed inside Guitar Pro.

*Primary

Happy to C4C, just let me know what song you want me to listen to! Hope you enjoy this one!
My Bands

Latest Original Recording
Daemos,
I normally don't like death metal, especially death metal vocals. The vocals in this song are better than most death metal songs in my opinion. Audio quality is very good on everything. Drums are very appropriate for this genre. Guitar tone & riffs are very good. I like the guitar melodies a lot better than the Opeth songs I've heard. Is that intro electric bass real or MIDI? Please review my music at this link:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1356300
Good stuff, really like the vocals, very Åkerfeldt-ish.

Soundwise, the bass becomes a little overpowering here and there, but otherwise good.

The guitar riffs sound okay to me, not extraordinary, but they do their job.

Drums sound a little "mechanical" to me (could use a little groove), but that might be your intention.
Quote by aaron aardvark
Daemos,
I normally don't like death metal, especially death metal vocals. The vocals in this song are better than most death metal songs in my opinion. Audio quality is very good on everything. Drums are very appropriate for this genre. Guitar tone & riffs are very good. I like the guitar melodies a lot better than the Opeth songs I've heard. Is that intro electric bass real or MIDI? Please review my music at this link:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1356300

Yes, the bass the whole way through is MIDI, it doesn't sound great, but I wanted to have it there in some way shape or form. If any one wants to record me some bass grooves I'll take 'em though
My Bands

Latest Original Recording
This is really cool nice work! The vocals sound awesome, it's kinda tough to get a good sound with death metal vocals, but you nailed it.
You've got some sweet riffs in there, especially the one at like 1:57
The mix - it's really clear, I don't hear anything that sounds too muddy. it's a bit dark though. The guitars could use a tad bit more high-end, and I think raising the cymbals just a little could make it a bit brighter.
Write the music you want to hear.
Great song! I don't really listen to much death metal, but to my ears this could easily be a professional band's recording. The quality of everything is very good. I like the chorus the best, the riff is just awesome!

Good luck with your computer upgrades, that sounds like a really tedious process you're working with. Luckily, I'd say it payed off!

I've got a new song up at https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1363431 if you wouldn't mind taking a listen and letting me know what you think. Thanks!
Let's party.
Thanks for the ellaborate feedback on my mix , shall be taken into account accordingly.
to answer your question I used EZdrummer(not DFH) for them, I'm gonna try different EQ settings for them first.

now on to your stuff, that's some sick drumming and vocals, I really liked the guitar's tone if anything I jut think the bass sounds slightly overpowering and could be toned down so that the other instruments can be appreciated, playing wise there's nothing sloppy, all in a all I enjoyed the song. (great vocals btw)
Thanks for the very helpful criticism on my work man!

Overall, I really like the composition. I've been a huge fan of death metal for a while, and I can say this is among the best. Your vocals are really really good by the way; they kinda remind me of Chuck Shuldiner's from Death. Awesome too is the tightness of the playing.

Production-wise, the guitars are really muddy in the low end, and that muddiness starts to become fatiguing on the ears after a while. I can hear the low end of the guitar and the kick fighting over frequencies. The guitars are a bit overpowering.

Anyways, great job man! It's a really good composition.