Okay so i'm a total guitar n00b. feel free to flame. I've been playing piano and keyboard since I was 5 and now I want to learn guitar because i need to for a project i'm working on.

i've decided i want an epiphone les paul because i've heard they can be good quality, they're cheap, and, most importantly, they look good and paul banks from interpol plays one and that's basically the exact guitar tone i want.

so i found this ad on craigslist.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/msg/1936904619.html

It seemed like a good deal, i checked guitarcenter.com and their used '56 gold top les pauls were going for way more. But then i noticed, they're all gold. All of them. everyone one on google images and ebay. And this one is black.

then i saw someone on ebay selling '56 gold top truss rod covers. So I'm thinking now that maybe he bought something like that and put it on a special II or something cheap.

So wtf?? do gold tops come in black? Does this look right to anyone? Or does it look horribly wrong and am i about to get screwed out of $260 tomorrow.

And unfortunately i don't play guitar so i can't really test it out, and even if i could play i wouldn't know what exactly to look for when playing it.

anyway forgive my n00bness thank you for reading.

srsly.
Last edited by Adomsky at Sep 18, 2010,
Quote by Adomsky
Okay so i'm a total guitar n00b. feel free to flame. I've been playing piano and keyboard since I was 5 and now I want to learn guitar because i need to for a project i'm working on.

i've decided i want an epiphone les paul because i've heard they can be good quality, they're cheap, and, most importantly, they look good and paul banks from interpol plays one and that's basically the exact guitar tone i want.

so i found this ad on craigslist.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/msg/1936904619.html

It seemed like a good deal, i checked guitarcenter.com and their used '56 gold top les pauls were going for way more. But then i noticed, they're all gold. All of them. everyone one on google images and ebay. And this one is black.

then i saw someone on ebay selling '56 gold top truss rod covers. So I'm thinking now that maybe he bought something like that and put it on a special II or something cheap.

So wtf?? do gold tops come in black? Does this look right to anyone? Or does it look horribly wrong and am i about to get screwed out of $260 tomorrow.

And unfortunately i don't play guitar so i can't really test it out, and even if i could play i wouldn't know what exactly to look for when playing it.

anyway forgive my n00bness thank you for reading.

srsly.

Giraffes don't come in black and white.
That's why they are giraffes.
Gold tops don't come in black.
You'll get a guitar I'm sure, but if it looks dodgy, I wouldn't bother.
Lots of fakes and crap on craigslist.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Maybe it was painted black?
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Fender Big Apple Stratocaster
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
and a soul of Rock n' Roll
No, it's definitely legit. I don't think the seller realizes what he has though. It's not incredibly valuable but they aren't seen often.

Google search of "epiphone custom shop 56":
http://www.mygear.com/items/view/20672
http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar/product/Epiphone/Les+Paul+1956+Ebony/10/1
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Well dude, first of all. Ask the guy for serial #, but before ask for it, ask the guy wut year is from n where he got it. Check if they match, and then ask him why he is selling it. Simple
holy shit thanks for the massively fast and awesome replies. in the ad he says he has all the original paperwork, and on the phone he didn't seem sketch at all so i wasn't worried at all until i saw that it was black, and that freaked me out. but after what lizard posted i feel a bit safer. and on page like 30-something of google images i found a few black ones. so maybe they're just rare. thanks cisco i'll ask for the serial number and i'll check the paperwork to see if its legit. thanks again everyone keep the replies coming though!!!
I dont mean to impose on your guitar search or anything, but i check the OC craigslist myself, and found this: http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/msg/1922215396.html

It's an epi LP with two emgs, the pickups alone are worth that much, so its pretty good.
Quote by RU Experienced?
See the FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU- thread, he's a God amongst men.

^^ about me

Confucius once say: "Women is like jazz music, 3/4 jazz time, 1/4 ragtime."

This is my sig, get over it. ಠ_ಠ
haha thanks for helping me in the search. i don't know, i found a couple other threads places that were talking about the ebony 56 gold tops so i'm feeling better about my decision. i really love the ebony color so i think i'm going to stay with it. maybe i'll buy that too and sell it for more. thanks again everyone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_qJZi7lrSA
dunno why they would include "Gold Top" in the name, seeing as it doesn't have a gold top
go play it, if you like it, get it, seems legit to me
Quote by Led Dirigible
Crickets have too much high end for my tastes. I prefer a nice beetle, lots of warm low end.

tl;dr put a beetle in your amp for superior toanz.

Guitars: Schecter C-1 Classic
Westfeild LP e4500
Amp: Vox AD15VT
it's a legit guitar, they were produce for a short time with a black top as a limited and rare model, however if for some reason it is a "fake" its most likely just a Epiphone les paul standard.. with a new truss rod cover still easily worth the price tag he is asking
Gear
Schecter Hellraiser
Custom Built Les Paul
Ibanez Rg5ex1
line 6 DI-silver
Bugera 6260
line 6 spider ii

To Set The Ocean On fire

Quote by classicrocker01
You know you're addicted to gear when you've had more guitars than girlfriends
Not a true goldtop, but it's a current production Epiphone that retails for around $400. $260 is a fair price, offer $200 and work from there.