Hey there!
I have recently been experiencing some problems with my guitar/amp. When I have it on a clean setting on a low volume it's fine, but when I crank the volume up it becomes distorted. I am using a cheap Chinese made guitar until my other guitar returns from being repaired, a Fender Bullet Practice amp and a Digitech RP350. What is it that is making the sound distorted? The guitar or amp or pedal? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Quote by Jason
Ancient scrolls predict that when Fred Durst and Lil Wayne perform a guitar duet while touching the tips of their penises together, the gates of hell will open and swallow us all.

Hehe.

Ok so is there any way I can stop this from happening? If that's the case then how come live bands don't have this problem?
Quote by Jason
Ancient scrolls predict that when Fred Durst and Lil Wayne perform a guitar duet while touching the tips of their penises together, the gates of hell will open and swallow us all.

Hehe.

they mic their amps up to sound like they're high volumed, i think.
it's not just their amp thats turned up in the stadium but a microphone in front of it.
Quote by CharlieSlyster
Ok so is there any way I can stop this from happening? If that's the case then how come live bands don't have this problem?

Brutal truth of the matter is they don't have shitty little amps with crappy little speakers. All amps distort in some way, it's a question of whether the distortion an amp produces is a sound you want or not.

The amp you have is literally just going to make the guitar sound louder, it's not going to make it sound particularly nice and running a pedal into it won't compensate for the limitations.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Sep 18, 2010,
Quote by CharlieSlyster
how come live bands don't have this problem?

Not seen many live bands using Fender Bullet practice amps on stage. A few use Chinese Guitars (Motorhead) but they also tend to use double Marshall full stacks and quite large PA systems.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

this has been said before, but its your amp... the distortion is probably the result of your speaker not being able to handle the sound level thats being demanded of it (fairly common issue).

there are a few reasons why bigger bands dont get this issue:
- high powered amps: more power=more headroom (clean space before distortion)
- they mic their amps so they dont have to be as loud
- 4x12 (or more) speaker cabs: more speakers for the same amount of power
- modified amps: common to see 12AT7 tubes instead of 12AX7's on clean amps
- better speakers!! there is a reason high end speakers cost $250+

realistically, your amp cannot handle gig level volumes (and its a strech to have it compete with even a restrained drummer). if you want a really clean tone, you'll have to pony up for a new amp. a 30-50watt tube amp would be perfect: it will distort a bit, but it would be a musical/pleasant distortion as opposed to the "on the verge of blowing up" distortion you get now...