Page 1 of 3
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory?id=11657419

"...the study shows that Americans are five times more likely to spend time in the kitchen than doing something physically demanding such as playing a sport or hiking, confirming the stereotype of Americans as couch potatoes."

I guess now it's officially fact, not stereotype.
UG FORUM
Your 21st Century Ant Farm
Corroborating Sturgeon's Law Since 2003
It depends on how Americans use the kitchen.

My PC used to be in kitchen, meaning i was more likely to be in there - although i wasn't stuffing my face.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
five times more likely than what? bad article is bad.

anyway, nothing surprising here .
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Quote by the bartender
five times more likely than what? bad article is bad.

anyway, nothing surprising here .

five more times likely to be in the kitchen than playing sports/ exercising... that was in the TS'ers post
Quote by TheQuailman
I wish my amp sucked on my knob.

if you were to smash a child around the head with a full bottle of no more tears shampoo...would it be ironic if they cried
Quote by !-twisty-!
five more times likely to be in the kitchen than exercising outdoors... that was in the TS'ers post

ah I see, misread it, I though they were comparing it to another group of people, but failed to name said group .

still, this says nothing about wether this is more than other countries or not.

Last edited by the bartender at Sep 18, 2010,
Quote by !-twisty-!
five more times likely to be in the kitchen than playing sports/ exercising... that was in the TS'ers post

Eh, and the normal ratio is?

I don't get this shit.
Damn straight I eat food at least 5 times more than I excercise.

DISCLAIMER: I did not read the article.
Military use of children?

Infantry.
Quote by guitarxo
I exercise in the kitchen.

stretching out to reach for the cookies doesn't count as exercising.

I think it says more that they apparently have couches in their kitchens.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Quote by whalepudding
I think it says more that they apparently have couches in their kitchens.

Or potatoes.
um ok?

thats not really the steriotype but whatever.
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
It doesn't really prover they're couch potatoes, just fat bastards!

/Ignorant twat
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Quote by bass-man9712
um ok?

thats not really the steriotype but whatever.

in europe it is. American and English people are all fatties.

Quote by the bartender

theres too many to keep track
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
"...more likely to spend time in the kitchen than doing something physically demanding such as playing a sport or hiking, confirming the stereotype of Americans as couch potatoes."

Quote by Anthony1991
It depends on how Americans use the kitchen.

My PC used to be in kitchen, meaning i was more likely to be in there - although i wasn't stuffing my face.

Playing on your PC in the kitchen probably involves even less physicality than cooking.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
I'm sure us Americans are supposed to just take this without a word. Whats funny is that if a similar stereotypical kind of study were to be made about any other group of people except Americans that study would probably be shunned. There are many examples I could go into however most would be found to be unfairly stereotypical or racist, even though they are based on statistical fact just like this American laziness study. If I must, I will resort to exampling one of these fact based stereotypes at a later time, but I'll probably get banned for it.

(By the way, I weigh 140 lbs. so this study doesn't offend me at all except on principle.)
Check out my hard rock band!! Lying Awake!!
Facebook
Soundcloud
UG
Thank You!

Gear:
Epiphone 1998 Les Paul Custom
Boss GT-10 Multi-effects
Peavey 6505+ 112 60W Combo w/ Celestion G12-K100
Quote by ilikesongs1
"...playing a sport or HIKING"
haha,,, i laughed

it's pretty strange that they don't concider hiking a sport indeed. I can't think if many things that require more physical and mental training than that .

Quote by the bartender

In England, we think that American and Scottish people are all fatties.

Quote by the bartender
it's pretty strange that they don't concider hiking a sport indeed. I can't think if many things that require more physical and mental training than that .

Withstanding torture (and that isn't a sport either)
Last edited by CrimsonBizzare at Sep 18, 2010,
Quote by Slimjim5792
I'm sure us Americans are supposed to just take this without a word. Whats funny is that if a similar stereotypical kind of study were to be made about any other group of people except Americans that study would probably be shunned. There are many examples I could go into however most would be found to be unfairly stereotypical or racist, even though they are based on statistical fact just like this American laziness study. If I must, I will resort to exampling one of these fact based stereotypes at a later time, but I'll probably get banned for it.

(By the way, I weigh 140 lbs. so this study doesn't offend me at all except on principle.)

please do so, I'd really like to see it. /notscepticaljustcurious

Quote by CrimsonBizzare
In England, we think that American and Scottish people are all fatties.

Withstanding torture (and that isn't a sport either)

If you read carefully you can see that I did leave room for things that are more vigorous . still, hiking IS a sport.

Sounds like they're just wasting money to try and prove steroetypes. Did they really need to do a study to find out that most Americans are fat?
Quote by the bartender
please do so, I'd really like to see it. /notscepticaljustcurious

A good example is that African Americans (again, not being racist, just stating statistics from government websites, you can take any problems you have up with them) represent only 12.9% of the U.S population but committ 38.8% of the crime. I believe the percentage of violent crime is higher, but I could not fine a reputable source to prove this in my short google search.

So if we are not being hypocritical this would mean that we could make the blanket statement that African Americans are less law abiding and therefore more dangerous (again, I'm making a point, not stating this myself). However, such a statement done publicly would be seen as terribly racist and cruel, while calling Americans lazy is just fine? Even though they are both based on statistical fact.

These numbers come straight from the U.S census board website:
http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/00000.html

and the Federal Bureau of Prisons:
http://www.bop.gov/news/quick.jsp
Check out my hard rock band!! Lying Awake!!
Facebook
Soundcloud
UG
Thank You!

Gear:
Epiphone 1998 Les Paul Custom
Boss GT-10 Multi-effects
Peavey 6505+ 112 60W Combo w/ Celestion G12-K100
where in this article does it mention the average ratio of other countries, or how america compares to them? im sorry but youre coming across as either a troll, or someone who is quite butthurt about their country not being as powerful or influential as the US is. probably both
Geets:
Ibanez GSA60
Epiphone SG/LP custom
Schecter Damien elite 7
Fender Highway one Telecaster

Pedals:
Visual sound Jekyll and Hyde

Amp:
Peavey 6505
Marshall M412a cab
Peavey Classic 50

GO STEELERS!
Quote by Slimjim5792
*post*
I see what you're at, and I think the problem is that a lot of anti-racist people are judging way too quickly (at least from what I as a non-american can see from the outside, this seems to be the case). It's almost as if there's some sort of oversensitivity for everything. Saying that on average, more african-american people commit crimes than other cultural or ethnic groups in the US is not racist at all, yet a lot of people will say it is. However, I do think it is racism if you say that african-american people are more dangerous than others, because this implies that they would be evil by nature. The fact that there are more dangerous people of a certain group doesn't say anything about the rest of the group.

in the same way, saying that in america there are more unhealthy people (on average) than in other countries is merely stating a fact, while saying that americans are unhealthy by nature is discrimination.

Quote by ihavenoname93
where in this article does it mention the average ratio of other countries, or how america compares to them? im sorry but youre coming across as either a troll, or someone who is quite butthurt about their country not being as powerful or influential as the US is. probably both
and you're coming across as someone who is way to protective about his own country, neglecting scientific research in the process, so I guess that makes you guys even.

Last edited by the bartender at Sep 18, 2010,
Quote by Slimjim5792

you should probably dislodge that large dildo from your asshole.
Quote by ultimatedaver
We're just trying to help man, cause it doesn't seem like you can get any pizza.
Quote by ihavenoname93

the article doesn't even compare america to other countries. it compares the percentage of those willing to do physical exercise to those who dont. im sorry but youre coming across as either a troll, or someone who is quite butthurt about their country not being as powerful or influential as the US thinks they are. probably both
Quote by Craigo
What point of reference? Five times more likely than whom?

Not "whom", "what".

"...the study shows that Americans are five times more likely to spend time in the kitchen than doing something physically demanding such as playing a sport or hiking, confirming the stereotype of Americans as couch potatoes."
Last edited by denfilade at Sep 18, 2010,
Quote by Craigo
What point of reference? Five times more likely than whom?

I made exactly the same mistake on page 1 . they're 5 times more likely to spend time in the kitchen than doing sports. There is no reference to other countries though, so we still got a point .

To All American People!

Since you do not like the statistics, and feel offended, then why don't you get outside, go to the gym, or maybe just a few push ups in the house. I'm pretty sure that will get the statistic to change.
Quote by Slimjim5792
A good example is that African Americans (again, not being racist, just stating statistics from government websites, you can take any problems you have up with them) represent only 12.9% of the U.S population but committ 38.8% of the crime. I believe the percentage of violent crime is higher, but I could not fine a reputable source to prove this in my short google search.

So if we are not being hypocritical this would mean that we could make the blanket statement that African Americans are less law abiding and therefore more dangerous (again, I'm making a point, not stating this myself). However, such a statement done publicly would be seen as terribly racist and cruel, while calling Americans lazy is just fine? Even though they are both based on statistical fact.

These numbers come straight from the U.S census board website:
http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/00000.html

and the Federal Bureau of Prisons:
http://www.bop.gov/news/quick.jsp

It has more to do about social background than your race.
Quote by !-twisty-!

Maybe Europeans are ten times more likely.

The study doesn't have any comparisons to other countries, which makes it hard to read if that is a lot or not.
Ok, everyone eats, not everyone exercises. Great find there.
Quote by Waffleexplosion
Only in a vodka ad could Mexico win a war.
Quote by denfilade
Not "whom", "what".

While I understand that, I think they should have included other countries in the study. I'm willing to bet most people in most countries (the ones with kitchens) spend a lot more time in there than exercising.
Quote by stratdud39
...yet we still kick the rest of the world's ass in the olympics. Fuck off, TS.

the group of atheletes competing in the olympics is only 0.0000000001% (please note that 78% of all statistics are made up) of your entire population. not very representative is it? It's also pretty obvious that you would do better than countries with significantly smaller populations, since the chances of having talented athletes in your country grows with the amount of people you have. If you would compare equally, the amount of medals the netherlands won in the last couple of olympic games is much more impressive, given our incredibly small population (16 million people).

That statistic is useless without comparing it to other samples (countries).
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
I'm sure with the black / crime statistics you could find a good correlation between stats of wealth and education.

Quote by stratdud39
...yet we still kick the rest of the world's ass in the olympics. Fuck off, TS.

With the exceptions of 2008, 1992, 1988, 1980, 1976... and most likely every future Olympic Games.

I would suggest that with such large wealth and population you should have won every Olympic Games up until Beijing. Can't be too hard for such a rich country to extract 400 elite athletes. Had you topped the medal table as frequently with a population the size of Canada (30m compared to the USA's 300m) it would be a much more impressive feat.

(you'll also start using the population excuse when China win so often)
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Last edited by Andrewbiles at Sep 18, 2010,
Page 1 of 3