Recently I've been looking for a cheap way to get a decent marshall tone, at home and in the studio, however every amp I find that I've heard does that sort of thing runs 2 EL84's, which makes me think of a vox, instead of EL34's. Whether its a Hayden Mofo, Dual Terror or even marshalls own Class 5.

So the question is can EL84's really give a marshall tone?

Thanks
Jay
My old Budda SD 18II had a real nice marshall sound.....
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Peavey Classic 30 has EL84s and has some Marshall flavor.

Peavey Windsor head? It's a cheap JCM800 type amp.

Budget?
Genres?
Home or Gig?
New or Used?
Current Gear?
Closest City?

Theres no particular budget just depending on what is about, I'm currently looking around £500 but would prefer to pay more for a decent quality.

Im currently using a Orange Rockerverb live but want something a bit smaller for home and studio.

I will use the amp for session work however I mainly play Blues to Hard Rock.
However I really just want a decent marshall tone.

Amps I'm looking at Dual Terror, Hayden Mofo, Valve Power 18 Watt (which all use EL84), If i can find one i'm also looking at a Matamp Mini Mat and also an Egnater Tweaker.

I also just noticed the HT-20 which runs EL34's.

I also live in the UK.
Quote by jayscrivener
Theres no particular budget just depending on what is about, I'm currently looking around £500 but would prefer to pay more for a decent quality.

Im currently using a Orange Rockerverb live but want something a bit smaller for home and studio.

I will use the amp for session work however I mainly play Blues to Hard Rock.
However I really just want a decent marshall tone.

Amps I'm looking at Dual Terror, Hayden Mofo, Valve Power 18 Watt (which all use EL84), If i can find one i'm also looking at a Matamp Mini Mat and also an Egnater Tweaker.

I also just noticed the HT-20 which runs EL34's.

I also live in the UK.

I can only comment on the Mofo, but it's a fantastic sounding amp with a definite Marshall flavour on the UK input. Defintely try it out if you can.
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain
Of course they can, the 1974X had EL84's in it. You can also get Marshall tone with KT66's as the very first Marshall's had them in the power section.

But "Marshall tone" is too vague a term. There are so many different tones that Marshall amps have. Is there a specific amp you are trying to get the tone of? JTM45? JCM800 2203? JCM900? JCM2000? Silver Jubilee?

All have different tone, yet all are Marshall amps.
^ +1

my valvepower is an 18 watt marshall clone (the 1974x craig suggested). Is it a marshall? Yeah. Does it sound marshally? Yeah. Does it sound the same as a plexi? I dunno, I'm not sure if i've ever tried a plexi, but I'm guessing they don't sound exactly the same.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by CECamps
Of course they can, the 1974X had EL84's in it. You can also get Marshall tone with KT66's as the very first Marshall's had them in the power section.

But "Marshall tone" is too vague a term. There are so many different tones that Marshall amps have. Is there a specific amp you are trying to get the tone of? JTM45? JCM800 2203? JCM900? JCM2000? Silver Jubilee?

All have different tone, yet all are Marshall amps.

See this is the difficult part, I love the sound of the marshalls such as the 1974x and Bluesbreaker for bluesy stuff but the JCM 800 for hard rock / 80's metal.

I've now found a company English Valve Amps not far from me that makes point to point hand made marshall inspired amps at that price.

They also come is snakeskin for £10 more!

I'm gonna check that out see what they can do.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Hmm.....Bugera's 1990 sounds kinda JCM 900'ish.....its got EL34's.

What the **** did that have to do with the thread?

TS, of course it's possible. Most of the tone shaping comes from the preamp.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
a general "marshall" tone is the tight bass, pronounced upper mids, grainy distortion with not too ice pick of a treble, with bumped mids... still vague, but thats why a lot of non-marshall companies can out-marshall a marshall.

how many times did i say marshall in that sentence? marshall.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard