I decided to record myself doing some improv.. Would love some honest feedback from someone who knows what they are talking about..

Thanks..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7F3tz16xSt0

Edit: I know its kinda sloppy.. I always **** up when someones recording..
Last edited by @zzasin at Sep 18, 2010,
I know you were going more for a Blues style, but that really seemed more like Smooth Jazz to me. I really like both styles, but I just didn't get the Blues feeling from listening to that. It was a little sloppy at times, but not bad though.
I just watched it again and I agree with you, it sounds alot more jazzy..
To be honest with you, all I've done for the last six years of my guitar playing carreer is sit in a chair and improv over songs. I'm basically stuck in the same boring pentatonic scale.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqXFhmKfNAI

Uploaded a new clip from last night.. I dont know, maybe thats a bit more bluesy. What im really looking to do is just get out of the same soloing pattern and play more stuff.. I just feel like im stuck :P
That's a common problem. Here's what I'd recommend. Learn some of the other scale patterns on root 5 and 6 - especially the major pentatonic and major scales. Next, learn how they relate to the minor pentatonic that you're used to playing. Doing this lets you mix the scales together. In other words, for one section of the song, go from playing pentatonic minor to playing its relative major scale. Doing that really adds a unique twist to your phrasing. I couldn't tell from your videos, but something else that's good to learn is doublestops. If you don't know what those are, it's playing two notes at the same time. If you're familiar with them, please forgive me. Another cool thing to improve your phrasing is bends, slides and vibrato.

You have a decent amount of speed. One thing that would be really nice is to hear a wider range between slow and fast playing. Start off playing slower, then as the song or jam session draws to an end, signal it's coming to an end by speeding up your playing.

Those are just a few things you can try to break out of the same ol' boring pentatonic scale stuff.

The second video is nice and, at least to me, says rock-n-roll. Of course, rock was heavily influenced by blues. Do you have access to Napster or some other MP3 music service? If you'd like, please allow me to suggest some listening material. See if you can find Stevie Ray Vaughan's Texas Flood. Also, if you like a rock/blues, check out Joe Bonamassa. Another good blues artist is BB King. Play any of those and you'll really get a good idea of the blues style.

I think you have the right idea, you just need to get the blues.