Hi , name is Brett and i want to learn guitar. A little background when i was 12 i wanted to start playing , but never got off the ground and now im 27 and i want to do it. I kept on thinking it was too late to start, but my Gf keeps telling me its never to late to start, so im going for it. my first hurdle is im left handed and i don't know which way is should start.... ive read all the pro and cons and still i don't know, there are some ting i do do right handed (swing a bat , and using a mouse). as for learning i was thinking of the Hal Lenoard book and maybe some online / pc program however im not sure witch ones are reputable.
Hi, Brett. It's never too late to start. I've read of guys starting in their 50s and 60s. If you're left-handed, go to a guitar store and try out both types. I know you don't play, but see which feels more comfortable. Have one of the salesman show you a couple of easy open chords and then play them on both left and right-hand guitars and see which feels more natural.

The Hal books are decent, but my major complaint against books, DVDs and computer programs is they're non-interactive. If you make a mistake, they won't catch it. If you can afford a guitar instructor for some one-on-one instruction, I'd really recommend it. Expect to pay anywhere from $15 to $35 for a 30-minute session. A lot of music and guitar stores have instructors and rooms. A good instructor will take you from zero to playing a lot faster than using a book or DVD - that's my personal opinion. You'll feel more motivated to play, because you'll have a weekly assignment to work on, plus you get the instant feedback from the instructor if you do something wrong or right.

The next thing you'll need to decide on, is whether to buy an acoustic or electric guitar. There are pros and cons to both. What is your budget for a guitar, or a guitar and amp?
Welcome to UG Brett!

First off, introduce yourself here.

As for left/right-handedness, have you tried holding either? Just see which you're more comfortable with and go for that. Left-handed guitars can be more difficult to come by though.
I personally quite like Hal Leonard's books, but there are plenty of decent enough quality TABs and lessons on here.