Page 1 of 2
I'm struggling to choose between a couple of amps and could do with a hand. Here's my situation -

Very recently bought an Epi Vintage G-400 (first guitar ), an am currently running it through an old 15 watt Peavey KB/A of my Dad's. Needless to say, this isn't exactly the best set-up for anything other than clean, acoustic, notes, so I'm looking at getting a decent practice amp come Christmas (looking ahead, but why not? ). Anyway, I've run it down to four amps -

Line 6 Spider IV 15 (kinda predictably)

Roland Cube 15-XL (Not even sure if this is out yet)

Vox Valvetronix VT-15

And the Peavey Vypyr 15

As I said before, I'm using an Epiphone Vintage G-400, with Humbuckers. Basically I'm looking for a versatile, good quality, bedroom volume practice amp that is as equally capable of playing clean as it is with rock-hard distortion . It's also worth pointing out that I live in an area where I can't just walk into the nearest music shop and try an amp out, so I'll be buying whatever I get through the Internet.

Any help welcome!
Thought I should maybe point out that I'm looking for something around or less than the £100 mark. Sorry, dunno what that is in dollars .
Vox VT might be a little above your budget, but that and the Roland Cube are good choices.
ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ೃ ·ಏ· ಢ_ಢ

E-Married to the sexy DarkConcertine

and Jon777 .

Did think about that, but I'm prepared to spend a little more for a little more . I have heard that it doesn't work too well with humbuckers, though. Dunno if there's any truth in that.
Quote by NeutralFan
I have heard that it doesn't work too well with humbuckers, though. Dunno if there's any truth in that.

That sounds like BS to me
ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ೃ ·ಏ· ಢ_ಢ

E-Married to the sexy DarkConcertine

and Jon777 .

the smaller cubes (excepting the micro) only have stompbox modelling, not amp modelling- to get that you have to go up to the 30.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
the smaller cubes (excepting the micro) only have stompbox modelling, not amp modelling- to get that you have to go up to the 30.

I see. Thanks for the info. I think that's that one ou for me then, as I don't really have the budget for a the Cube 30, unless I go for the Micro. Which is a possibility.
Go for a micro cube, they're a brilliant little practice amp that'll give you the variety you want.

The old one is dirt cheap and will give you everything you really need.
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/roland-micro-cube/12942

The new one is more expensive but comes with a few more features.
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/75544

If you want my advice, the new isn't worth the extra £100 and the old one is top value.

Here's a nice little review of one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1luLMLplsr8

^_^

Good luck with whatever you get!
Quote by NeutralFan
I see. Thanks for the info. I think that's that one ou for me then, as I don't really have the budget for a the Cube 30, unless I go for the Micro. Which is a possibility.

no problem. you might as well try it, but the spider has a rep of sounding a bit digital.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I just picked up a Spider IV 15. I like it, great little practice amp and it was cheap, $110 out the door.
I REALLY like the Roland: its clean is fantastic and the Marshall voicing is pretty darn close to the real thing. (I don't much use the others.) The Micro is actually really viable as a practice amp.

And for under 100 quid there are a couple of decent tube amps if you know where to look. The Bugera V5 is quite nice.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
Thanks for the replies!

Just thought I'd update, the Cube 15-XL, the one I'm looking at, apparently has three built-in Boss distortion, ehm... things. Modes or whatever you call them. Sounds interesting, here's a link - http://www.roland.co.uk/products/productdetails.aspx?p=1119 . The one problem is that I won't know the price of it until it comes out, I suppose .

When I first thought about getting an amp I thought the Spider was gonna be mine, but I looked around on some reviews and figured it's not so simple as that. I started this thread because basically each of the amps I found was supposed to be the best amp ever . Anyway, at the moment I think I'm leaning towards the Vox, though with the above recommendations that may change.
if they're anything like the old boss distortion models on the old cube 15, they're rubbish. Just saying.

You want the amp models, as i said previously. they sound a lot better than the crappy boss distortions... boss distortions aren't really anything to write home about anyway, and dodgily modelled versions of those...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Another update -

Just looked at the Micro Cube, and it certainly looks promising. The old one, at least. I might be prepared to spend £100 on a Vox, but with my budget £179 is a bit insane. Still though, the former seems a good option, with a good review. The one thing I'm wondering is, how does it stack up to the other amps? I mean, it's the same price range, and I'm not that bothered about portability. The problem with me is that I happen to live in a place where it's an hour and twenty minutes on a ferry to the nearest music shop, and even then I don't think they sell amps , so I can't really test them out myself.

Also, back to that Cube 15-XL, the Roland site (in the link I posted), says that it only comes out in October, but quite a few music sites have it ready to go (for the same price as the Micro). And it can't be a regional thing, with it coming out sooner in America, 'cos the site I found is a British shop, and it had the price in pounds . Unless they imported it somehow? Well, it confused me (although that's maybe not all that hard).

Anyway, thanks for all the tips so far!
i have no idea about the actual microcube, but often shops will claim to have something in stock when they don't. so that's worth bearing in mind. Unless you email them and they tell you it's in stock, it might not be, even if their online store says it is.

far as i was concerned, the microcube (the old version) owned the cube 15- it's a lot more versatile, and the amp models own the stompbox models. The fact it's portable is cool too. Only thing is, 2 watts and the small speaker don't make a ton of volume. I think it's a better amp, but it's pretty much practice only.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
if they're anything like the old boss distortion models on the old cube 15, they're rubbish. Just saying.

You want the amp models, as i said previously. they sound a lot better than the crappy boss distortions... boss distortions aren't really anything to write home about anyway, and dodgily modelled versions of those...

(Should maybe point out that I wrote my above note before this message came up)

Fair enough, I'll keep that in mind. Although, don't Roland own Boss? That would tend to suggest they'd have the actual effect already, rather than having to model it again. Having said that, they probably wouldn't market it at that price if it had proper effects.

Okay, I think that's probably the Cube 15 out (even if I were to get a Cube I'd probably get the Micro now). One other thing I'm wondering about, what about the Orange Crush series? I don't really know much about them, except they're British, they get pretty damn good reviews, and they look awesome.

Also, what about the Vox and the Peavey? I hear they've both gotten awards. Certainly the Peavey anyway.
Quote by Dave_Mc
i have no idea about the actual microcube, but often shops will claim to have something in stock when they don't. so that's worth bearing in mind. Unless you email them and they tell you it's in stock, it might not be, even if their online store says it is.

far as i was concerned, the microcube (the old version) owned the cube 15- it's a lot more versatile, and the amp models own the stompbox models. The fact it's portable is cool too. Only thing is, 2 watts and the small speaker don't make a ton of volume. I think it's a better amp, but it's pretty much practice only.

Sounds good. I'd only really be using it for practice anyway. Although I don't really need portability that much, it'd be nice to have something I could take around with me. You and EL2T have sold it on me, metaphorically speaking. Well, to an extent, I want to explore all my options .
Ah, just looked at the Vox forums and it seems the VT-15 is, ehm, newer and better.
Quote by NeutralFan
(Should maybe point out that I wrote my above note before this message came up)

Fair enough, I'll keep that in mind. Although, don't Roland own Boss? That would tend to suggest they'd have the actual effect already, rather than having to model it again. Having said that, they probably wouldn't market it at that price if it had proper effects.

Okay, I think that's probably the Cube 15 out (even if I were to get a Cube I'd probably get the Micro now). One other thing I'm wondering about, what about the Orange Crush series? I don't really know much about them, except they're British, they get pretty damn good reviews, and they look awesome.

Also, what about the Vox and the Peavey? I hear they've both gotten awards. Certainly the Peavey anyway.

i think they're modelled, but i could be wrong. and yeah, roland owns boss, but that doesn't mean the fx are the exact same, lol.

Haven't tried the crush, i don't think it's meant to be great, though.

vox is pretty good, tends to be aimed at lower gain stuff, though (but it's ages since i've tried them, they may have improved their high gain tones), haven't tried the vypyr, it's meant to be pretty good.

Quote by NeutralFan
Sounds good. I'd only really be using it for practice anyway. Although I don't really need portability that much, it'd be nice to have something I could take around with me. You and EL2T have sold it on me, metaphorically speaking. Well, to an extent, I want to explore all my options .

no problem. if you want to be able to carry it around, the vox da5 is probably worth a look too, I haven't tried it, though. it has a few more amp models than the microcube.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by NeutralFan
Just been wondering, the Vox is hybrid, right?

Technically you could say so, but practically, it's a solid state modelling amp.

If you don't jam/rehearse with a band outside of the house, this could be perfect for you:

http://www.dv247.com/guitars/native-instruments-guitar-rig-session-usb-interface-with-guitar-rig-software--51744

If you're got headphones or proper speakers for your PC, that'll get you the highest quality tones you could imagine for £80, far, far better than the Cube or VT15.

Guitar Rig isn't the best modeller out there but you'll still spend hours messing about and creating your own custom rigs.

Since I started using modelling software in the house two years ago, I haven't used an amp at home once. My rig stays in the band lockup when we're not gigging and I practice and jam through the computer
Last edited by kyle62 at Sep 19, 2010,
I tried the roland bass cube when looking for a bass amp and didnt like it. It sounded quite muddy, and the effects werent really usable. I couldnt dial in a tone i liked. I know it was the bass version, but still, you should be aware of this.

About the valvetronix series, my brother has one - keeps cutting in and out. Sent it back to vox, they couldnt find anything wrong with it. Too unreliable to gig with. Apparently it was only a small batch of vox valvetronix amps that were affected but im not sure, again you should be aware of this.
Quote by kyle62
Technically you could say so, but practically, it's a solid state modelling amp.

If you don't jam/rehearse with a band outside of the house, this could be perfect for you:

http://www.dv247.com/guitars/native-instruments-guitar-rig-session-usb-interface-with-guitar-rig-software--51744

If you're got headphones or proper speakers for your PC, that'll get you the highest quality tones you could imagine for £80, far, far better than the Cube or VT15.

Guitar Rig isn't the best modeller out there but you'll still spend hours messing about and creating your own custom rigs.

Since I started using modelling software in the house two years ago, I haven't used an amp at home once. My rig stays in the band lockup when we're not gigging and I practice and jam through the computer

Sounds interesting, but I don't think a PC Suite is what I'm after. I currently don't have a computer of my own , and the speakers on the one I'm using are terrible . Still though, I might well look into it in the future
Last edited by NeutralFan at Sep 19, 2010,
Quote by minnis
I tried the roland bass cube when looking for a bass amp and didnt like it. It sounded quite muddy, and the effects werent really usable. I couldnt dial in a tone i liked. I know it was the bass version, but still, you should be aware of this.

About the valvetronix series, my brother has one - keeps cutting in and out. Sent it back to vox, they couldnt find anything wrong with it. Too unreliable to gig with. Apparently it was only a small batch of vox valvetronix amps that were affected but im not sure, again you should be aware of this.

I see. I'll keep that in mind, but I'll make sure that whatever I get is under warranty anyway.
Quote by Dave_Mc
i think they're modelled, but i could be wrong. and yeah, roland owns boss, but that doesn't mean the fx are the exact same, lol.

vox is pretty good, tends to be aimed at lower gain stuff, though (but it's ages since i've tried them, they may have improved their high gain tones), haven't tried the vypyr, it's meant to be pretty good.

no problem. if you want to be able to carry it around, the vox da5 is probably worth a look too, I haven't tried it, though. it has a few more amp models than the microcube.

I've looked into the DA5, and I've heard some good things about it. It was actually while I was looking around that I came accross the VT-15. Thing is, although portability would be nice, it's not really one of my criteria. Anything smaller than a super rig is portable enough for me .
Quote by Dave_Mc

Well, the Crush 10 has a 9.1 here. Although, I think it's more of a lower gain amp too.
Quote by NeutralFan
I've looked into the DA5, and I've heard some good things about it. It was actually while I was looking around that I came accross the VT-15. Thing is, although portability would be nice, it's not really one of my criteria. Anything smaller than a super rig is portable enough for me .

yeah the vt15 might be better if portability isn't a priority.

Quote by NeutralFan
Well, the Crush 10 has a 9.1 here. Although, I think it's more of a lower gain amp too.

i'm always very wary of reviews... often they're written by eejits. Plus they're skewed very much in terms of what actually prompts you to write a review- normally either the reviewer is a fanboy or a hater. Plus normally you can't edit a review if you change your mind...

plus i mean the mg15fx has a rating of 9.5 here o_O
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah the vt15 might be better if portability isn't a priority.

i'm always very wary of reviews... often they're written by eejits. Plus they're skewed very much in terms of what actually prompts you to write a review- normally either the reviewer is a fanboy or a hater. Plus normally you can't edit a review if you change your mind...

plus i mean the mg15fx has a rating of 9.5 here o_O

Eejits! That's about the only time I've seen that word mentioned outside of Scotland! Oh, your location is Northern Ireland , that explains a bit. I had assumed you were American...

Anyway, point taken. I'll maybe look around on some critic sites.

BTW, the MG15 having a rating of 9.5 is like... Hitler being inducted into the Church.
LOOK

Call me Neutral.
Quote by da_
I wonder if you get more out put if you wire a battery to your penis.
hehe, yeah, i guess scottish people use it too

Yeah, check out some reviews at harmony central etc. They might be a little better... but mainly I just use reviews to check there isn't a recurring problem, and that the reliability is ok. If every third review has the same part breaking, it might be an inherent fault, kind of thing. Regarding what they're actually like, I prefer forums because you have to actually communicate with people and you can normally get a better idea of whether the person advising you is sensible or not...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Looking around for the Crush 10, I found this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Orange-Micro-Crush-Electric-Guitar/dp/B001C9R5P6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1284910697&sr=8-1

Gets pretty good reviews, but at that price it seems a little gimmicky, like the Marshal MS-2, even if it is Orange. Anyway, didn't really bring that up for any particular reason, other than it's a pretty cool idea .
LOOK

Call me Neutral.
Quote by da_
yeah i mean if they're under a certain size and price, I'd be very wary, kind of thing. I haven't tried it, but I'm guessing it's not amazing... it does look pretty cool, though, but that's little consolation if it sounds like a bee in a jamjar...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
hehe, yeah, i guess scottish people use it too

Yeah, check out some reviews at harmony central etc. They might be a little better... but mainly I just use reviews to check there isn't a recurring problem, and that the reliability is ok. If every third review has the same part breaking, it might be an inherent fault, kind of thing. Regarding what they're actually like, I prefer forums because you have to actually communicate with people and you can normally get a better idea of whether the person advising you is sensible or not...

Fair enough. Well, I trust you . To be honest I've kinda given up on the Orange, it seems a good amp but I'm sure I can get something more versatile if I'm going down the Solid State route. Although I could always get a tube amp and an attenuator (however you spell it)...
LOOK

Call me Neutral.
Quote by da_
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah i mean if they're under a certain size and price, I'd be very wary, kind of thing. I haven't tried it, but I'm guessing it's not amazing... it does look pretty cool, though, but that's little consolation if it sounds like a bee in a jamjar...

Yeah, most of the reviews say it has great sound, though I suspect that means great sound for £30 and the size of a thimble.
LOOK

Call me Neutral.
Quote by da_
you could but that's going to cost a fair bit, especially if you want one as versatile as a modeller...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Okay, in an attempt to be slightly more organised, here's my updated list -

Roland Micro Cube

Vox Valvetronix VT-15

Peavey Vypyr 15

I'll probably be going for either the VT-15 or the Micro Cube, having not heard much about the Peavey.
LOOK

Call me Neutral.
Quote by da_
the vypyr's meant to be pretty good too, I wouldn't discount it, but I think the 30 watt version has more features (stompbox models as well as amp models, i think?).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
the vypyr's meant to be pretty good too, I wouldn't discount it, but I think the 30 watt version has more features (stompbox models as well as amp models, i think?).

Yeah. There's quite a handy chart on the Peavey site. Just wondering, what's the difference between Stompbox and Amp models? Are they just models of Stompboxes and models of Amps?
LOOK

Call me Neutral.
Quote by da_
Page 1 of 2