I'm shocked. I've heard nice guitars, with great pickups, but this one has taken me by suprise.
Often, you have a great guitar, but you need better pickups. Well, I had a cheap beginner guitar, that I thought sounded like crap, but I was wrong. I had been playing a cheap 15w beginner amp, with it's distortion, but I recently upgraded to a Fender Frontman 25r, and a Boss Distortion Pedal. Now, I can actually hear what the guitar sounds like, instead of alot of static! On my guitar, the neck pickup, clean, it's decent, distorted, not very good... bridge pickup, so-so clean, but distorted... HOLY CRAP! PAF sounds all around!
The Guitar?
The Greg Bennett Avion AV-3. A $400 guitar.
Now, I have no idea what pickups they're using, but I'm shocked by the sound this pickup has! Does anyone have any idea? Does anyone have this guitar, but has stock, junk pickups? I bought it new, so they couldn't have been replaced. Did I just get an oddball amazing pickup?
Seriously, this pickup is so good I'd put it in a Les Paul, hell, i WILL if I ever get one!
And it's not just a great amp! I've played other guitars through this amp of the same price range and it's no contest! I'm really stumped. I'd like to find out what this pickup is so I can get a set when I can finally afford to do my Les Paul build!
Guitars:
Greg Bennett Avion AV-3

Amps:
Fender Frontman 25r
Sundown 15w

Chain:
Guitar>Boss Distortion>Amp

Keepin' it simple!
I hate to break it to you, but a Frontman isn't exactly an upgrade

That's interesting to hear though.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Hey if you like it, then good for you!
Gear
3rd Power Amplification HD100
Splawn Competition
Marshall 1987x
Vox AC30C2

Charvel San Dimas 1 2H
2008 Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender MIM Strat

Check out my YouTube channel!
I'd be interested to hear what boss dirt box you're actually talking about. Whichever it is, prepare to get a lot of crap for mentioning good tone and a Frontman in the same paragraph.

Yeah, I know, the Frontmans aren't as good, but if you heard this other amp, you'd think it was. O.o
It probably all has to do with everything ever.
The guitar has a 5 piece mahogany back
3 piece mahogany neck
two piece maple top
rosewood fret board
and I use 11 gauge strings, a jazz 3 pick, and I have a very delicate touch, and I bend alot to get that great bluesy sound.
So that, and a great pickup all contribute I'd assume.
Guitars:
Greg Bennett Avion AV-3

Amps:
Fender Frontman 25r
Sundown 15w

Chain:

Keepin' it simple!
And the pedal is a Boss DS-1.
$40 from Guitar Center
Guitars:
Greg Bennett Avion AV-3

Amps:
Fender Frontman 25r
Sundown 15w

Chain:

Keepin' it simple!

first things first, you should probably take the pickup out to see if there's anything written on the back. Some eejit with more money than sense might have installed a throbak in there. EDIT: I completely misread your opening post. Carry on.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dude... imo that is a sub-par pedal through an amp that is far from great. It will sound different with different pups and guitars, but great tones aren't within reach. And believe me I've tried.

How much other stuff have you tried? And I don't mean just beginner stuff. Did you ever bother with some amps above 1000€, or even small valve amps at 200€-300€? If not, you should. If yes and you still think the DS1/Frontman combination sounds good, then we have completely different ideas of what is a good sound.

Don't get me wrong here - you like your setup and the tone it produces and that is all that matters. Whether some dude on the internet cares about it or not isn't important at all. But personally, at the price point of the Frontman plus the Boss, I'd have gotten something different entirely.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Sep 18, 2010,
Well see, the thing is, I'm broke 90% of the time, seeing as I'm a teenager with no job, so I got what was available in town, for very little, the amp was $100, the pedal was $40, I had just enough, and for the money, that was the best setup I found. Yes, I've played the $1000 Marshalls, and my Granddad has an old Peavey (don't know the model) that I've played, that sound light years better, but until I can get a steady pay, this is what I'm using.
Guitars:
Greg Bennett Avion AV-3

Amps:
Fender Frontman 25r
Sundown 15w

Chain:

Keepin' it simple!
Just save and save. I'm 15, I bought myself a $600 amp with my allowance saved up over the span of a year.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
So many geezers here who forget what it's like to be a teenager. When you're 15 you aren't exactly making 6 figures, you're likely saving up for a car, gas, and insurance, maybe you've got a girlfriend with good taste in restaurants; unless you sleep with your guitar and it's your only passion in the whole wide world, you're going to be stuck with Boss pedals and Fender solid state amps for a little while. It's how you learn to be frugal and make good use out of what you have- I spent my first 8 months of playing with a Line 6 Spider III 30w, and with endless tweaking I was able to get a sound that got compliments from tube amp owners. Not saying the Spider is a great amp, just that I was able to get by with the resources available.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Boss DS-1's aren't even that bad. I started off with the same thing (Frontman 25r and DS-1) and I got some pretty decent sounds off it.
Well, I've got an overly complex idea to upgrade my rig. Save for a little bit, then with a boost from christmas, invest in building a guitar, to my exact specs, by me, for me. then, I'll sell this guitar (with a replaced pickup... maybe, idk...) and then birthday money (April) to get a nice medium size (30w-50w) tube combo. Probably a Peavey Classic.
Guitars:
Greg Bennett Avion AV-3

Amps:
Fender Frontman 25r
Sundown 15w

Chain:

Keepin' it simple!
Stick with getting a better amp for now. It'll be a better upgrade, what's the point of a badass guitar without an great amp to make it sound good.
Quote by MortifiedLizard
So many geezers here who forget what it's like to be a teenager. When you're 15 you aren't exactly making 6 figures, you're likely saving up for a car, gas, and insurance, maybe you've got a girlfriend with good taste in restaurants; unless you sleep with your guitar and it's your only passion in the whole wide world, you're going to be stuck with Boss pedals and Fender solid state amps for a little while. It's how you learn to be frugal and make good use out of what you have- I spent my first 8 months of playing with a Line 6 Spider III 30w, and with endless tweaking I was able to get a sound that got compliments from tube amp owners. Not saying the Spider is a great amp, just that I was able to get by with the resources available.
I'm 15 and I think my gear is alright. Cost me a little over £600 and I don't think that's too much really. I'm not rich I just used my christmas and birthday money and all the money I saved up in between those two to buy it.
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Quote by MortifiedLizard

Speak for yourself.

If you're determined enough, you can do it no problem. When I was 15, I had a Mesa Mark IV and a Marshall 1960, and I paid for both. Plus, spending money on girls at 15 is a waste of money
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by ILiKePiNeAppLeS
I'm 15 and I think my gear is alright. Cost me a little over £600 and I don't think that's too much really. I'm not rich I just used my christmas and birthday money and all the money I saved up in between those two to buy it.

Exactly what I do! Got my guitar at christmas and got a summer job and with my birthday money, got my £400 HT5 stack and I am very happy!
There's nothing amazing about the pickup, it's simply the best sound that you've been able to produce with equipment you own.

The Frontman is at best an average amp, you're not going to be able to get much of a bearing on the quaility of a pickup through it. Keep playing, keep letting your ear develop - a year or two down the line you'll have a much better appreciation of what makes a good tone.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
As long as you like to play your guitar through it, that's all that matters. FYI, guitar is all about feel and response, for the most part. Your amp is response and sound.

Only you can help prevent forest fires (of tone)
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Don't listen to anyone telling you your tone will be bad just because of your gear, if it sounds good to YOU, then it's perfect.

When you do progress, though, you'll eventually gain the ear for "good" tone. Your hearing will improve and you'll know what sounds good vs bad.

And like most other teenagers have before, I've been in that situation.

Epiphone SG Special -> 10w Ibanez practice amp + Boss DS-1. I still own the DS-1.

I got a Roland Cube 30X bought for me by my grandmother, but other than that, I've purchased every piece of my gear. You just need to know where to look. Never hesitate to ask someone on Craigslist if they want to trade.. I've come into most of my gear through trading/selling/buying on Craigslist. The only things I've bought new are my HT-5 and my EQ and OD pedals.
Well...
Anybody else who got a great stock pickup?? I'm interested in this
Quote by jrakus
Well...
Anybody else who got a great stock pickup?? I'm interested in this

So far, out of all the guitars I've played the best stock pickup I've heard is the ESP LH-301, found on LTD 200+ guitars. It's a really good pickup as far as stocks go, and I hate how many people complain about awful LTD stock pickups because of the subpar crap they put on the >200 models. Most people neglect to notice that there are 2 different levels of LTD stock pickups.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
^^Depends on what price range we're talking about. The pups that come stock in a 4000€ Anderson or Huber are pretty much as good as it gets already...

If we're talking about stuff that isn't really really expensive: I think the Ibanez V7 and V8 get a lot more crap than they should.
Quote by WtrPlyr
I found this funny

Oh believe me, if you had heard this amp I had before, you'd welcome a Frontman too. :P
Guitars:
Greg Bennett Avion AV-3

Amps:
Fender Frontman 25r
Sundown 15w

Chain:

Keepin' it simple!
Quote by TheQuailman
^^Depends on what price range we're talking about. The pups that come stock in a 4000€ Anderson or Huber are pretty much as good as it gets already...

If we're talking about stuff that isn't really really expensive: I think the Ibanez V7 and V8 get a lot more crap than they should.

Hm. I guess it's a given that when stock pickups are being discussed, it's assumed that the guitar costs <$1000. Most guitars if not all major brands over that range use pickups other than their own, except for the few exceptions.

And I don't know. I thought the V7/V8 were really horrible. A lot worse than the INF3/INF4 combo. But I think that it depends. I'm nearly positive that the V7/V8 used on the normal models are different than the ones used on the Prestige models. They look different certainly, but they have the same name, so I don't know.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I like the Super 70s quite a bit. Granted I don't have any, but they where sweet in my buddies Artist.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by MatrixClaw
Speak for yourself.

If you're determined enough, you can do it no problem. When I was 15, I had a Mesa Mark IV and a Marshall 1960, and I paid for both. Plus, spending money on girls at 15 is a waste of money

exactly. Same here but different gear. I had a job when I was 14 so I saved a bunch of money.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
I like the Super 70s quite a bit. Granted I don't have any, but they where sweet in my buddies Artist.

the super 70's are pretty awesome
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52
By the way, while we're talking about amps for the moment, what does everybody think about the Peavey Classic 30? I'm considering that for my next purchase. Then it's off to the races buying and modding a cheap Epiphone Les Paul.
Guitars:
Greg Bennett Avion AV-3

Amps:
Fender Frontman 25r
Sundown 15w

Chain:

Keepin' it simple!
it's not bad. what kind of budget do you have? are you in the US? it's good value in the US, but less good value in Europe where e.g. a laney vc30 is normally better value. what kind of tones are you after?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm in the U.S. Arkansas. Not alot of big shops, so I'd have to order. A budget of maybe $600-$700. Looking for a tube amp. It's weird how old technology sounds better then new. I like that bluesy, rock, woman tone, but with the ability to pump into a driving hard rock, AC/DC tone. Afterwards, I'm getting a new guitar. I REALLY hate this guitar. Bad feel, and it's ugly. Sounds pretty good though... I'd change guitars first, but an amp has alot more to do with tone then a guitar.
Guitars:
Greg Bennett Avion AV-3

Amps:
Fender Frontman 25r
Sundown 15w

Chain:

Keepin' it simple!
Last edited by ibanezaf75trs at Sep 19, 2010,
traynors might be worth a look, i think they're around that kind of money... ycv40, which is more fendery or ycv50, which is supposedly more marshally... i've only tried the 40 and 20 (more voxy)
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?